Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Locking Up System

Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 32 bit PC that I recently upgraded. I put in the most amount of RAM memory I could and upgraded the system from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Yesterday I upgraded from Photoshop CS2 to CS5 and have suddenly been having problems with the system locking up on me in the middle of a project.

I saw some suggestions that were made back in 2010 and I was wondering if some new solutions have been discovered for this problem since then

If so, please provide me a link to a topic thread dealing with this issue.

Also, when first using the program I could not figure out how to get the HISTORY window to open. That is a function

I ALWAYS USE!!

It should ALWAYS open automatically

I now have it working properly, but when opening the program for the first time the HISTORY window should ALWAYS BE THERE and ready to use

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 151 Replies 151
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOWEVER!!!

I do like the concept of now having an HDMI port on my computer, with the new graphics card. That means I can run an HDMI cord from my computer into the television in the living room and watch streaming Netflix on my big screen television. Now, that is something worth working towards! I found a great HDMI splitter that has RAVE reviews over at amazon. I will need a wireless ergonomics computer keyboard, but since I've been preparing for that for MANY years I should go for it. Personally, I'm surprised this old ergonomic keyboard still works with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I was told that using a dedicated video grapics cards frees up quite a bit of memory on my computer thus making my computer run better. That's what I was told by the "expert" at HP. Is this true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO NOEL, The site you gave me a link to has no customer reviews that I saw. I don't like to go by specs given by the company that wants to sell you their item. I like to average out customer reviews before I decide on a purchase. The reviews for this card are excellent enough AND the company accepts PayPal as payment; which is safer and easier for me: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150582

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SECOND HOWEVER, If watching Netflix is what I am concerned about I would probably be better off getting a Roku box for the television. It costs about a little more than the wireless ergonomics keyboard I was considering, but less than the wireless ergo keyboard AND the video card. Decisions, decisions, decisions:  http://www.amazon.com/Roku-XS-1080p-Streaming-Player/dp/B005CLPP84/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUESTION: So, do I want my computer to run better?

ANSWER: Yes

QUESTION: Will a new graphics card make my computer run better

ANSWER: Apparently so!

QUESTION:  Is your current ergonomics keyboard working properly?

ANSWER:  Yes!

QUESTION: Then how about getting the new graphics card AND the Roku device and forgetting about getting a new keyboard until you REALLY need one?

ANSWER:  Duh, why didn't I think of that! OR how about getting a new graphics card so that watching Netflix on my computer looks a lot better and forgetting about the Roku box?

QUESTION: Hey, why didn't I think of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EUREKA!!!

Turns out I don't need, AND CAN'T USE, the keyboard to control the movie. What I need is my Wacom tablet and mouse and they easily reach into the living room. So, it seems like the new graphics card and HDMI extension cord from my computer to my television is the way to go.

I'll sleep on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Sidarthurr,

Given your low requirements in Photoshop, (working on one layer only, I guess on small resolution images, albeit extensively using the history (how many steps do you keep? how many snapshots do you use, what is the size of the images you work on,)  I wonder about the need to run a powerful videocard.

If you do not have Open GL now, a new videocard would give you better images at uneven zoom ratios (27, 39, etc.) continuous zooming, etc. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405745.html

In Edit>Preferences>Performance, do you see Open GL being active or not?Iif not, you should not bee seeing Scrubby Zoom in action (what seems to be your problem #3)

But indeed, you may have other needs for that videocard.

I am sorry, but you complaint about not getting answers, but then, don't answer suggestions made higher in the form of a list for easier feedback...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ENDED UP ORDERING THIS GRAPHICS CARD FROM AMAZON:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EPQI70

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ordered the card along with a 25 HDMI cable to run it to my television set in the living room, so I can watch Netflix streaming and surf the web using my HD television as a computer monitor. I also got an HDMI splitter, that got mostly great reviews at amazon. Hope it works for me.

And I ordered an extension cord for my ergonomics keyboard so that it can easily reach into the living room.

What sold me on the above graphics card was one review on a different website. The guy said that it cleared up problems he was having with CS5. This really caught my attention alright!

Also, that website gave specs stating that the graphics card has a 250 WATT minimum requirement. So my 300 WATT output computer should do well with this card, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5vELKHANHAT.jpg

This is the type of project I like to do with Photoshop

I don't usually get too big.

I like keeping things easily viewable on a computer screen

The biggest I usually go is with a 6.0 megapixel photo, from my Sony camera, to be used as a computer screen background

I guess I do everything on one layer, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO PEC,

Here we go again. So, you think I automatically know what an "open GL" is?

Have I really given you the impression I am that smart?

Well, I'm not!

Does that have something to do with Photoshop CS5 or the video card settings in my computer?

"Scrubby Zoom"

Is that the problem where I accidentally touch the Wacom tablet with the pen and it zooms about 20 times without me wanting it to?

Is the "Open GL" setting in Photoshop and can be adjusted so that this will not happen to me EVER AGAIN unless I want it to?

UPDATE:

I went to EDIT- PREFERENCES- PERFORMANCE in CS5 and saw that I can't do ANYTHING with "Open GL" until I get a better graphics card.

So, this new graphics card may solve this 'zooming' problem I've been having all these years?

I hope so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

I ENDED UP ORDERING THIS GRAPHICS CARD FROM AMAZON:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EPQI70

It doesn't quite meet the minimum performance recommendation I provided you, but it has no fan, and VisionTek is a solid manufacturer.  I hope it works out for you.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I trust customer reviews more than specs. Other cards without fans were a lot cheaper. I figured this was the best I could find at amazon. I looked through quite a number of pages and chose this as the best option I could find. I hope I'm correct in my choice.

I went through pages and pages and pages at amazon and this was the most expensive graphics card WITHOUT A FAN ATTACHED. I assume it is the best for my needs that amazon has availble, unless I missed something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your swagger leaves me breathless!

Specs don't tell you much about reliability but one can glean it from reviews. Reviews don't tell you much about performance for your needs, but specs do.

You need both, and I see only 2 reviews foryour card choice.

Crapshoot, imo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were much more reviews at the other website. That's where I read about the guy who found this card fixed the problems he was having with CS5. Somehow I couldn't believe that a less expensive card would be better. Maybe I'm naive in thinking this, but could I actually expect a cheaper graphics card from the same company would be better????

Oh, they had much more expensive ones, but those all had fans on them and I need QUIET!!!! LOTS OF QUIET!!!!!!!

There was not much to choose from without fans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS SITE HAD 32 REVIEWS FOR THE CARD AND IT HAS A 4.3 STAR RATING. GOING FOR A MORE EXPENSIVE CARD WOULD BE VERY LIMITING BECAUSE OF MY COMPUTER'S 300 WATT POWER OUTPUT RATING:

"I upgraded from a 256 MB NVIDEA GE Force 7300 card. The 2 GB memory of the Radeon card makes a very big difference working with my images in Adobe Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom. The card was easy to install on my motherboard's PCI Express x16 slot after reading the straight-forward instructions. This was the cheapest thing I could do to improve performance on my 5-year old Dell Dimension E520."

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=924832&CatId=7005

Well, he wasn't actually having problems with CS5, but he says CS5 worked much better "big difference". That's should be good enough for me...I hope

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's some interesting dialogue I am having with HP's wizard Paul: 

ME:   

There are 32 reviews for the card I bought on this site. It has a 4.3 star rating   http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=924832&CatId=7005 

Wait a minute! Are you saying that I can rather easily rebuild this computer and make it a 64 bit system, if I want to? Out of curiosity, what would I have to replace? Would it be worth it?   I mean, would have to get a completely new motherboard?   I would imagine that a 500-600 WATT power supply would be required too, right?   I've already upgraded this computer to 4GB of RAM memory   I once took a computer course on rebuilding computers and I have a friend, in Florida, who rebuilds them. He lives thousands of miles away so...he can't hear me yell when I screw up. That preserves our friendship.   

PAUL:   

Absolutely.   You don't need to do anything except to use the 64 bit W7 Ultimate installation disk that came in your W7 upgrade box.   I love that W7 retail upgrade kits come with both disks.   You can upgrade it to a 64 bit system right this minute if you want.   Absolutely no hardware changes are necessary.   Just boot from the 64 bit OS disk and off you go...   The only hardware requirements for a 64 bit PC are a 64 bit capable processor (you have one), and at least 2 GB of system memory (you have 4 GB).   

ME

I mean, I intend to reformat soon. If I used the 64 bit disk how would that be an advantage? I may have some problems with some of the programs I am currently using, right?   

PAUL

It is only an advantage if you have 64 bit programs to run.   I like it though. Must be psychological.   My PC seems to run faster and jump higher with a 64 bit operating system, and that is pure nonsense because it actually takes longer to process 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS.   But it just does seem faster for some reason.   But if you don't want a touchy-feely explanation, this link below provides a very good comparison summary of the two.   http://lifehacker.com/5431284/the-lifehacker-guide-to-64+bit-vs-32+bit-operating-systems   You'll have no problems running 32 bit programs on a 64 bit system.  

ME: 

Suddenly I'm feeling like  SUPER-COMPUTER-GRASSHOPPER!!!! Able to leap tall 64 bit system with a single disk!!! Watch out, Jimmy Olsen cause Kryptonite don't bother me nun!!! 

Yes, I have my own nun

COMMENT:

Hey, if you don't agree with Paul (((PLEASE))) let me know!!!!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, my original Adobe program is Photoshop 5.5. If I install it on a 64 bit computer JUST FOR REFERENCE so that it will accept the CS5 upgrade will I have any problems with the initial installation of 5.5?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to install an old version, and Photoshop 5.5 is not an applicable version for a Photoshop CS5 upgrade anyway.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to reformat, install the OS and Photoshop.

Be sure you update the video card drivers as soon as you install it, but after installing Win 7 64.

I am not happy with a 300W supply, especially if you add any additional hard drives.

As for additional problems, well, I can't say. You might, you might not. Given the tenor you bring to this thread, I would bet on additional problems.

BTW, one does not have to be a great, or even mediocre artist to have exceptional talents and experience with the technical side of things. You have many here who have responded who have these abilities technically, and probably are pretty good visually as well. Don't confuse matters by trying to prove your case by challenging their artistic ability.

Good luck, sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO NOEL,

I initially bought 5.5. Then I upgraded to 6.0. Then I upgraded to CS2 and then, now, to CS5.

I thought I would have to put 5.5 into my computer first so that it will accept the CS5 upgrade

Will I have to upgrade to CS2 first so that it will accept the CS5 upgrade?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch the PS CS5 installer dialogs carefully.  There's one where you can just enter your prior version serial number.  That would be the serial number for Photoshop CS2 in your case.

For some reason that dialog is worded in such a way that not everyone notices that you can just enter the serial number.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO HUDE,

I've been considering that, when things fill up too much in my computer, I will keep the C Drive just for the operating system and as a proverbial workbench and then keep a small laptop external hardrive permanently connected to the USB port as my files storage drive. That way if the computer completely goes bonkers chances are the external hard drive will be unaffected.

I already have two of these small laptop external hard drives with the same files backed up on each...sorta. The Toshiba has more hard drive space so I have extra videos saved on that one.

What's your take on my idea? This should solve the problem of the power supply and an additional hard drive, don't you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO NOEL,

Thanks to you guys I no longer feel as dumb as I did so I don't feel I need to prove anything with my work.

So, that's great news!

You're saying that I no longer have to bother installing any prior versions of Photoshop? All I need it the CS2 upgrade serial number? How will I know when to enter it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

How will I know when to enter it?

Noel Carboni wrote:

Watch the PS CS5 installer dialogs carefully. There's one where you can just enter your prior version serial number.

If I recall correctly (and it's been a while) it'll be the dialog entitled "Enter Serial Number Upgrade".

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably automatically assumed they wanted the serial number from the CS5 upgrade

So they ask for that separately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines