Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Locking Up System

Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 32 bit PC that I recently upgraded. I put in the most amount of RAM memory I could and upgraded the system from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Yesterday I upgraded from Photoshop CS2 to CS5 and have suddenly been having problems with the system locking up on me in the middle of a project.

I saw some suggestions that were made back in 2010 and I was wondering if some new solutions have been discovered for this problem since then

If so, please provide me a link to a topic thread dealing with this issue.

Also, when first using the program I could not figure out how to get the HISTORY window to open. That is a function

I ALWAYS USE!!

It should ALWAYS open automatically

I now have it working properly, but when opening the program for the first time the HISTORY window should ALWAYS BE THERE and ready to use

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 151 Replies 151
Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr, what is the name/model number of your computer? I am rather concerned about the cavalier attitude of this tech guy. Does he know what you want to run?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO HUDE,

Thanks so much for your concern!

Sure wouldn't want to do a 'goo, goo, gajoob' on my PC

After all, the guy has already proven he is not God with that one graphics card he recommended THAT I ALMOST BOUGHT!!!

I believe he works for HP (I should ask if he does) and I gave him the specs for my computer from their site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00674957&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look.

You can do several kinds of upgrades, including upgrading the CPU to a Core 2,  you will need to upgrade the power supply and considering the options for that board, the one you have is low. One source of information on Tom's Hardware for that unit said 250W supply.

You can install up to 4 hard drives. However, there also has to be room in the box for them. You need a scratch disk.

To do all the enhancements, you may want to take it to a competent PC shop and ask them for their advice. Just going to 64 bit OS doesn't solve too much with only 4G ram and no scratch disk.

Here's what I would do were I in your shoes:

Get a new PS at the 400 to 500W level (around $50 to$75

Open the box and check for an open bay into which you can install the scratch drive. Buy one  to match the SATA spec for your box, put it in and use it for scratch. In fact, I would install the new one as a new C drive and use the old one for scratch. If it fails, no big deal.

Add the video card.

Install the new HD, disconnect the old one.

Install Win7 64, then all your other software.

When it's running, connect the old drive, then you can grab the data from it like your internet bookmarks, then  erase that drive and set it up for scratch.

This may be more than you want to do, but you can find a competent P.C. tech to do this for you. If I did it, I would probably charge $75 up depending on complexity to do it, plus components. Not too bad a price to pay for much increased performance.

You can go for broke and upgrade the cpu and also add another 4G RAM at the very least and it would wail!

BTW, if all you do is install the new video card, update the drivers immediately, and if you also do win7 64, updating the driver is de rigueur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened up the unit. It has a 300W power output. I checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that if I go to 64 bit with the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit upgrade disk I will have to update ALL the drivers?

What do you mean by a "scratch disk"? I don't understand

I am open to doing what you recommended, but take it a step at a time.

For example I upgrade using the new graphics card and then reformatting by using the Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit disk.

Is it very difficult to upgrade the power supply?

I mean, I'm all for rebuilding this computer. I took a short course at the community college for rebuilding computers, but they never taught us how to change a power supply

Maybe I should see if YouTube has a video showing how to do it

Could you recommend a particular power supply unit from amazon, as it is easiest for me to order from amazon since I have an account there and they will USUALLY ship to my PO box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my research, it seems that a larger power supply means A LOUDED POWER SUPPLY and I sure don't want my computer to get any louder than it currently is!

This one is supposed to be quiet, but my current one is very quiet. Do you think this will work on my PC?

I don't know. Too many people are saying that it doesn't last very long before it burns out and the cords from it are too short:

http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-M-500B-Supply-Connectors-ATX12V/dp/B0013FIO04/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

BTW: PAUL, AT THE HP SITE, DOES (((NOT))) WORK FOR HP!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you pays your money and makes your choices.

I would find a local PC tech and talk to him. Way too many details for back and forth here. You probably should take a hands off without someone local to guide you. Especially if that tech is comfortable with working with Photoshop needs. Copy my recommendations as well as any from the others with whom you have communicated and see what he says.

My PC is a 500w unit and is quieter than the proverbial church mouse! Noise is not just from the PS, but from the cpu fan and hard drives as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to upgrade the computer myself and get smart like the rest of you!

Ha! 

No really!!! 

What brand and model of power supply unit do you have?

Would your power supply unit fit on my computer and work properly?

If I had my way I would like to slowly completely rebuild this computer!

That's my idea of being 'cool'! 

Well whadayaknow. Found me a "cool" smiley!

Seek and ye shall find!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a short course, at the local community college, about learning how to build computers. I took a computer apart and put it back together.

HOWEVER

We never learned how to take out the power supply or the motherboard

If I had my way, I would learn how to rebuild this computer from the ground up and be waaaaay cool like you!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My view of how to rebuild is to take out ONE PART and put it back in over and over and over till I am fully confident that I can practically do it blindfolded. Then go to the next part and do the same thing.

That's NOT how they taught me!

They had us take EVERYTHING OUT and then we had a hell of a time learning how to remember how it all went back in

Pissed me off

Then this SUBSTITUTE instructor wanted us all to give an official evaluation of his class.

I couldn't do it

This guy really...well....

Rather than putting us in a state of confidence we were always in a state of confusion

Don't even want to think about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if I had my way I would take apart my backup slimline computer in this manner and put it back together.

Hey, an HP slimline computer is very difficult to work with because there's not much room to work

Theoretically, that should make taking apart my main computer a breeze because there is so much room

That would be so cool!!!

Taking apart my HP slimline backup computer and putting the whole thing back together

TAKING PHOTOS OF EACH STEP SO THAT I HAVE A REFERENCE FOR PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER

AND

HAVING IT WORK PERFECTLY!!!

That's a goal to reach for and if I screw it up?

Hey, it's my backup computer and it's out of warrantee

How much could it hurt?

Next time around I was thinking of using a laptop as a computer tower

So that shipping it for repairs, while under warrantee, will be a semi-breeze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2012 Mar 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr, the scratch disk is a hard drive that you use for Photoshop's virtual memory. You set it up in the preferences, under performance. Larry Hude suggests to install a secondary hard drive, and to dedicate it to Photoshop's temporary files (the scratch disk) (again, when you have a question about Photoshop, search in help: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-748aa.html it is faster than to shotgun questions in here.

Most Slimline computers use proprietary parts. They might not accept the standard PSUs (Power Supply Unit) that use generally the ATX standard.

Check the specs of your PSU (but again, it might be a proprietry part by HP, with non-standard connectors or fitting screws)

If you want to get info on silent parts, I recommend http://www.silentpcreview.com it is the best source you could find.

You'll find better technical help about replacing your PSU, and what model might be compatible with your slimline box in that forum than here.

I would recommend to focus on the Ps questions in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link about HP power supplies:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph06788&lang=en&lc=en&product=3876...

Google HP Slimline. Lots of info there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh, I sure appreaciate your being so kind to me even though I am quite obviously your computer intelligence inferior 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to worry! You don't know the number of folks to whom I am decidedly inferior!

(Just ask them!)

With the Slimline, you are between a rock and a hardplace so far as upgrades. Just check out all leads, and be sure to also check out reliability at this date on your current components, especially the motherboard.

BTW, I just changed out my power supply today. It's quieter than the old one, which was rather quiet, so I thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 03, 2012 Mar 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

From my research, it seems that a larger power supply means A LOUDED POWER SUPPLY and I sure don't want my computer to get any louder than it currently is!

Check out the PSU's from Seasonic and/or Corsair; I'm pretty sure the Corsair's are rebranded Seasonic's.

The Seasonic "X Series" use a hybrid passive/forced cooling system - sorry, not sure of the Corsair equivalent. This means the fan doesn't start to spin 'til the unit reaches about 20% of its load, that's not going to happen if you're just surfing the Web etc, and because they use one of the quietest fans available, when the fan is running you really don't hear it.

They use top rated components, and the units are highly efficient, my one is "Gold" rated, +80% efficient; I personally wouldn't use the Coolmax you linked to.

Good luck

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For PSU's, you might want to look at the Extreme Power Supply Calculator.

There are also several PSU's listed on that page.

As for fitting into your case, you might want to measure the area, the size of your existing unit, and then look at the specs. for the various units.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have a CoolerMaster 1200W, that fits nicely into my mid-tower case, and is quiet, especially compared to the 9 fans that the case has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finding a good tech for a graphics workstation, it harder, than it might initially seem.

For my last workstation, I interviewed about six techs, and 5 had no clue what I needed, or what I was running. They made some wild recs., and statements, and were a complete wash. One was even a highly recommended enterprise server builder, but when it came to a box for Photoshop, AfterEffects and Premiere Pro, did not know what he was talking about. I feel bad for some of his clients. After 6 mos. of looking, I mentioned my problem to a friend, who is a research physician, and does heavy 3D imaging in his research. He had a builder in mind, and in 5 mins., I knew that I had found my tech. He completely understood what a graphics workstation was, and also how 2D differed from 3D. I used to build my own, but things have changed so quickly, that it would take me longer to come up to speed today, and cost me more $ in the end, than to hire someone, who knew exactly what was available, how to put it together, and get it to run perfectly. It's like working on automobiles. I once did 90% of my own work, until my wife bought a Saab 900T. I popped the bonnet, could only find the turbo, closed the bonnet, and let a Saab mechanic do all the work. Now, with her Mercedes, I stay clear of anything under that hood, as I do not recognize one piece...

When you do find your tech, level completely with them. Tell them exactly how you plan on using your machine. Tell them to not cut corners, and go with their recs.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know about Saabs as well. I would like to do my own clutch but even that!

If I were to go custom these folks come to mind:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/aboutus.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 04, 2012 Mar 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure appreciate all your advice. Your patience with me is very inspiring

Makes me want to be more like YOU

Shall we take a survey as to whether or not I have been too arrogant on this thread?

Ha!

RIGHT NOW!!!

What I really need to know is if it's true that you no longer need to install a previous Photoshop program to install the CS5 upgrade

Is it true that I only need the serial number from the previous upgrade to install the CS5 upgrade on my computer?

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AS I INTEND TO BE REFORMATTING SOON!!!!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you do not need to have a previous version installed.

You will need a qualifying version: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/826/cpsid_82641.html (not a student edition, not a suite to a single product...) serial number, that you will enter in the appropriate field during the installation.

What makes you believe that you received wrong information? I do not think that anyone contradicted that statement when you received it.

On this page of a troubleshooting guide for installation issues, it is clearly stated that there is a moment in the installation where a serial number from a previous version will need to be entered: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82831.html this is information from Adobe, should be good enough to be trusted, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

Is it true that I only need the serial number from the previous upgrade to install the CS5 upgrade on my computer?

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you believe it when I said it?  Did you forget already?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to make absolutely certain because it sounded too good to be true and you know what they say about things that sound too good to be true!!! 

Great news!!! 

I also see no reason to take any chances with old programs by using the 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade disk on my 32 bit system. Even if it can handle the 64 bit upgrade it just seems risky to me and it's a risk I don't need to take.

Comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's my plan of action:

My new graphics video card should be here this week. Supposedly, this dedicated video card will free up some memory on my computer and will make the computer and CS5 run better. How much better remains to be seen.

I also ordered a 25 foot HDMI cord and a keyboard extension cord so that I can use my computer using the HDTV in the living room as a computer monitor. I got an HDMI splitter and most people at amazon say works fantastic. I hope it works for me because I have only one HDMI input on my HDTV. Before this week is out I should be typing posts here forum in the living room

Once everything works great I intend to reformat the computer if I still feel it could use a reformatting. Maybe I won't feel it needs a reformatting anymore. Although I would like to use the trial version of Norton Ghost 15. I hope I can burn that disk first so that Ghost 15 will work properly. That would be sooooooo cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your specific intent with Ghost?  Are you thinking you want to make a backup image of your current setup, format the disk, then reinstall the Ghost image?

If so, that would be a waste of time.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines