Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Locking Up System

Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 32 bit PC that I recently upgraded. I put in the most amount of RAM memory I could and upgraded the system from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate.

Yesterday I upgraded from Photoshop CS2 to CS5 and have suddenly been having problems with the system locking up on me in the middle of a project.

I saw some suggestions that were made back in 2010 and I was wondering if some new solutions have been discovered for this problem since then

If so, please provide me a link to a topic thread dealing with this issue.

Also, when first using the program I could not figure out how to get the HISTORY window to open. That is a function

I ALWAYS USE!!

It should ALWAYS open automatically

I now have it working properly, but when opening the program for the first time the HISTORY window should ALWAYS BE THERE and ready to use

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 151 Replies 151
Mar 05, 2012 Mar 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Intent is to NEVER have to completely reformat again

I want to be able to reformat then use the Norton Ghost program in order to always be able to bring my computer operation right back to the day I reformatted and used the Norton Ghost program

That's my intention

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so you are looking to make a backup after you do a clean install, so that you can restore that backup in the future.

Windows Backup actually does that quite well.  It's called a System Image backup.  No need for 3rd party software.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two options at amazon for system imaging software. Most people reviewing are dissatisfied with both Norton Ghost 15 and True Image Home 2012

Are you saying I can reformat, load my programs, then use the "System Image Backup" that is part of the Windows 7 Ultimate program in order to bring my system right back to the day I first used the 'System Image Backup?

This is what you are talking about, right?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-a-system-image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Was there some part of the wording in the Microsoft description that you linked-to that left any doubt?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-a-system-image

"You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer if your hard disk or computer ever stops working. When you restore your computer from a system image, it's a complete restoration"

Unfortunately, it seems particularly difficult for me to communicate with you, which is atypical, so I'm just going to bow out here.  I really do have better things to do than to repeat things over and over to you to try to get you to believe them.  Good luck with your system changes; I hope everything works well for you when you get it all together.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could just be a complete restoration to the point before you add any of your programs!!

It does not make it absolutely clear whether or not it will restore to the point of computer operation AFTER you install your programs

I've seen a number of people complaining about Norton Ghost 15 at amazon who are using Windows 7

Are you saying ALL OF THEM don't realize that they don't need Norton Ghost 15?????

ALL OF THEM?????

This is why I want to make absolutely certain

You expect me to blindly believe you as though you are some sort of bloody computer God

Well, if I feel I must quadruple check before I go ahead with a computer suggestion that's just what I am going to do!!!

And I don't feel bad about doing so AT ALL!!!!!

Been led astray too many times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would imagine that SOMONE at amazon would have said that you don't need Norton Ghost 15 if you are using the Windows 7 operating system.

I DIDN'T SEE (((ANYONE))) SAY THAT!!!!

NOT SO MUCH AS A SINGLE PERSON!!!!!

And you expect me to blindly believe you?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After calling Microsoft tech support, getting a case number and being transfered SO FAR the tech support guy didn't understand what I wanted. When I tried to explain what I actually wanted..

((( WE GOT CUT OFF BEFORE HE COULD ANSWER!!!! ))))

I AM QUITE ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!!

HE HAD MY TELEPHONE NUMBER AND DIDN'T CALL ME BACK!!!!

I'll try again

Sorry, but I need to know for certain. Wish I could just blindly trust you. I really do!!!

But, I can't

On hold with Microsoft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO NOEL,

Well, I spoke to the Microsoft Technician and he cofirms what you said, Noel!

Thanks so much for you patience in putting up with me for this is truly GREAT NEWS!!!

He told me it would be a good idea to take a system image snapshot of the operating system BEFORE I install the new graphic card, just in case

I feel it would be a good test run of using this system imaging system option just in case

Let's see if I have enough room on one of my external hardrives

He said it might take quite a bit of hardrive space to store the compressed image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO NOEL,

You are the only person who told me about this feature of Windows 7.

THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!!

You were right and I'm so very glad you were! 

I believe, you are also the person who first told me about not needing to instal previous versions of Photoshop in order to install CS5

That was also GREAT NEWS and YOU brought it to me!!

Thanks so very much!!! 

Once I'm certain the backup image of my operating system actually works I'm going to go to amazon

tell them the troubles I have had with the trial version of Norton Ghost 15

and that such programs are not needed if you have a Windows 7 operating system

However, first I must make absolutely certain that it will actually work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Noel,

It's not that it's so difficult to communicate with me as it seems you expected me to believe you as though you are the computer God who is infallible and inerrant.

I was just almost led astray by that "expert" from the HP forum and almost bought a graphics card that would only work properly with a computer that has a minimum

of a 500 W power supply output.

I wanted a consensus here

I wanted other people here to agree with what you stated

I wanted to be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you were correct and now it seem you were indeed absolutely correct on CERTAIN MATTERS

Thanks again for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether you're trying to make yourself feel better with these incessant posts or what, but I really no longer have any interest in communicating with you.  Please just let it drop.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I"m just really grateful, dude! You really came through for me and I truly appreciate it. Thanks! 

Your big problem is you expected me to blindly believe you as though you are God

Sorry, I couldn't do that, but...

YOU WERE RIGHT!!!

About some very important things

Now, I'm curious how my computer will respond once I install the new graphics card

Supposedly CS5 will work better because the graphics card will free up some RAM memory

Oh, so I've read

Looking forward to surfing the web on my big screen HDTV in the living room

That should be fun

I can already see the post here to come. Something like:

"Hey, I'm typing this post from the living room using my HDTV as a computer monitor. AWESOME!!!!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP PAUL WROTE THIS. IF ANY OF YOU DISAGREE (((PLEASE))) LET ME KNOW. THANKS:

Follow the basic guidance when installing a video card. 

Before you install it, go into your device manager, right click on your current video adapter, and select Uninstall. Don't restart the PC, like it asks.   Instead, shut down the PC, unplug it, and physically install your new video card. 

Now, one thing about these new fangled video cards with HDMI going into old PC's... 

I am going to save you hours of frustration here... 

When you install your new video card and boot up the PC, after you install the drivers and everything, you are going to discover you have no on-board audio anymore. 

People go crazy trying to figure this one out...try to install audio drivers...some have even gone so far as to purchase an add on sound card, only to find out nothing works. 

So, here is the 1 minute solution: 

Restart your PC. Tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to access the BIOS. 

Look in the BIOS for an onboard audio setting. You will find that it is either set to Auto or Disabled. 

Change that setting to Enabled. 

Save the setting there (normally hit the F10 key), and again when you exit the BIOS. 

When the PC starts up you should have your onboard sound back, and if you connect an HDMI cable to your TV, you should get sound from the TV.   Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I just contacted Adobe directly about this problem. EVENTUALLY getting answers from people who don't work for the company can be misleading. If I would have contacted Adobe directly about the problems I was having with CS5 chances are I could have avoided a lot of grief.

The same goes for the HP site. That guy Paul does NOT work for the HP company.

From now on I intend to go right to the source for answers to my problems with programs or hardware.

I don't like trying to get answers in these forums from people who act like they have all the answers

when they may be incorrect on any number of issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides Chris Cox, all the other responders in this thread do not work for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's the thing, dude. Consider that I blindly assumed that guy Paul over at HP worked for HP. I believe it was thanks to YOU that I considered asking him and found out he didn't work for HP.

I appreciate your help, but I would have saved myself a lot of uncertainty if I just went to the source and called the companies about these matters. That's what I intend to do from now on because finding solutions in forums like this is nerve-wracking. I wait and wait and can't be absolutely certain whether or not the information I get is accurate. If I would have blindly trusted that Paul guy I would now have a graphics card that would not work with my 300 W output system.

However, thanks so very much for taking the time to try and help me. I really appreciate it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me give you an example of what I mean:

I just bought this unit and it should be shipped to me from this company very soon. On this site the company selling the Alesis TransActive Mobile Portable PA provides a video as to its features.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALE-TAM-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medi...

On the back is a stereo output that appears to use a 1/4 inch TRS jack in order to daisy-chain link the units together. I've found that sometimes in situations like this the 1/4 inch plug can be either stereo or mono. If you use as stereo plug you get the signal in stereo. If you use a mono plug you get the stereo signal in mono. This company could not give me a definite answer. Musician's Friend could not give me a definite answer. However, after waiting on hold, for quite a while, with the Alesis company I got a straight and definite answer.

The point is:

I'm much better off calling the company who creates the soft or hardware on any issues I may have because your answers in forums like these may be correct or it may be incorrect and I really don't want to constantly be second-guessing myself and asking "Are you sure of this" over and over and over and still feeling I need a second opinion from someone else.

If you see flaws in my reasoning please let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sidarthurr wrote:

If you see flaws in my reasoning please let me know

Your reasoning - that you want to make sure you're acting on good information - is sound.  How you, personally, are trying to accomplish that could use some work.

Please allow me to offer some constructive suggestions for improving your future forum experiences...

Soliciting information or opinions can be done with respect and humility, or it can be done in such a way as to insult the people who are trying to help.  It's worth striving for the former.

Ignoring what you're told and publicly exclaiming that you don't believe the answers you're given are just plain rude.  Try not to be rude to the folks who help you.  Look up the connotations of the phrase "bite the hand that feeds you" some time.

Understand that in asking for help you are already saying "I don't know the answer", and the people who respond really have no responsibility to convince you of anything beyond a reasonable doubt - they are just sharing their knowledge.  You, in turn, are simply accumulating knowledge and clues of things you didn't know about to help YOU learn enough to get the answers right.

And finally, rudeness cannot be called back later by exclaiming "Amazingly, you were right!", no matter how many times you repeat it.  Often it's best just to say thanks and move on.

May I now suggest now to you to "pay it forward" and try to help others online with the knowledge you have.  Being in "helper's shoes" will allow you to see the things I've mentioned above more clearly, and you will learn a lot - those who strive to help others know that doing so is a great way to grow and learn more themselves.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Noel,

My passionate nature serves me well with my music. However, it obviously makes me less humble than I should be.

I've been led astray too many times and I'm really sorry I just didn't just believe you because it turns out you gave me a lot of great advice. Thanks so much, but...well...it seems that I would be less rude if I could be absolutely certain of the information I am getting and that can only be done by contacting the companies directly on the phone so that I can ask questions and get clarification on their answers immediately.

Hey, when I found out I almost bought a recommented graphics card that would not work with my 300W computer output system I was indeed tempted to be very rude to Paul in the the HP forum. I vented here instead as an illustration as to why I am justifyably wary of ANY computer advice I may receive in forums like these.

Yes, I can be rude when frustrated. I would try to justify my rudness by saying that Beethoven would have been a hell of a lot ruder if he was here trying to figure out how to do the things I have asked of you. Yet, Beethoven's passion made much of his music rather 'immortal'. However, it did not serve him very well in a social capacity.

So, when I first came here I was an idiot savant without the 'savant' part. People like you have helped to make me wiser.

Please accept my humble apologies for my rudeness

Hey, my graphics card, 25' HDMI cord and HDMI splitter for my HDTV, that got may great reviews, has arrived and I'm about ready to embark 'Where No Me Has Gone Before'. It's exciting and yet...gulp...

Wish me luck

Microsoft suggested that I use Windows 7 to take a system image and save it on an external hard drive before I instal the graphics card just in case. Sounds like a good idea and a chance for me to get familiar with the procedure before I soon reformat and create the official system image that may save me from ever having to reformat from scratch again.

Microsoft said that as long as everything stays the same on my computer I can use that system image to restore my computer to the day I took the image. HOWEVER, if I do something like get a bigger hard drive with different drivers the system image will not work and I will not be able to restore my computer using it.

Any comments about this would be most humbly welcome

-Sidarthurr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe I see what the problem is. On the phone with Microsoft I was not tempted AT ALL to be rude because I could get IMMEDIATE clarification about ANYTHING he said. In forums like this I may get an answer that I partly don't understand and it is frustrating for me to wait until I get clarification IF I GET IT AT ALL!! That tempts to make me frustrated and rude indeed! I believe it was earlier on in this thread that I kept asking a couple of important questions over and over and over and EVERYONE just ignored them. Yes, that tempted to bring out the rudeness in me. Indeed it did!

That's why forums of this nature can be too frustrating to deal with when preparing to embark on a computer project that may...I don't want to even think it! 

I hope I'm being at least a little less atypical when it comes to communicating with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, there's no point in wasting any more bandwidth on this. Let him yell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is no point if you are going to ignore important questions of mine and claim you are experts when you cannot prove you are more expert than I am!

I may be an idiot

But I am not as dumb as you would like me to be

You act like priests of a religion who want to convince me that I need you to understand God's will

Well, you "priests" either prove you are better than I am at Photoshop or don't bother responding

I will call Adobe and talk to REAL EXPERTS!!! Who will answer my questions rather than ignore most of them!

Hey, the answers I have disovered ON MY OWN to stop this locking up my system problem I have been having are working...so far

No thanks to you "experts"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, I am not saying that there are not "experts" in the Adobe Technical Support office(s), but over the decades, I find that the respondents in this forum, top most of those folk, unless it revolves around licensing, some installation and Activation issues. Then, they DO excel.

Is it now fair to say that you HAVE solved the crashing problems? If so, please share what the cause was, and what you did to correct that. It might help others, and will most likely help us to help others better.

Other than the History Palette/Panel, is there still a question/problem?

Sorry to get in late, and I did try to read all replies in the thread, though might have missed something important.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Noel,

I have shown more than a "little humility" and now I am becoming fed up with supposed "experts" who ignore my questions and try to talk down to me when I offer proof of my expertise and they offer NOTHING to prove they are better digital artists than I am!

There is a time to be humble and a time to stand up, with confidence, and say I AM A BETTER DIGITAL ARTIST THAT ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE RESPONDED!!!

Oh, you disagree?

((( PROVE IT!!! )))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a BSOD, if that is what you encountered, then this ARTICLE might be useful to you. Note: it was written with Adobe Premiere Pro in mind, but 99% applies to a system running PS, or almost any other apps.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines