• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 being very slow, since upgrading to Mountain Lion, 2 days not using it

Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 being very slow, since upgrading to Mountain Lion, 2 days not using it and design jobs sitting a waiting and costing me. Why is this happening?

I click, I get the wheel showing its working to catch up, I click, I get the wheel showing its working to catch up,I click, I get the wheel showing its working to catch up,I click, I get the wheel showing its working to catch up...............

Everything was fine until I upgraded to Mtn. Lion on my iMac.

I bet if I downloaded some other edit software I wouldn't be having this problem, matter of fact that's an idea.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there is no other solution, I have tried everything and thats why I posted that this is the ONLY way to fix it.  Until, Adobe comes out with a regional fix, then you are not able to write in Hebrew. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had similar performance issues since installing Mt Lion on a Mac pro with CS6.  Namely when using the brush function, INCREDIBLY slow performance, to the point it's unusable.

I've tried everything down the list from performance and GUI settings, to deleting caches and pref, to reinstalling.

Nothing seems to help at all.  I'd thought turning GUI off would do it...but no dice.

CS5 works perfectly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem on two different macs with different configurations and I tried using the east asian text engine and it worked. But I need to write in Arabic and RTL languages, so this is not a complete soloution.

I'm waiting for Adobe to acknowledge and address this problem.

Hopefully not too much longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just converted to Mountain Lion and have the same problem which was solved by converting the text engine preferences to East Asian instead of Middle Eastern ... only problem is that I want to use Hebrew in my projects.  Any other solution from Apple or Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still waiting to hear back from Apple about why their APIs slow down so much with middle eastern type parameters.

In the meantime, we're trying to reduce the number of calls we make into Apple's code for this, in order to reduce the slowdown.

But as noted above, some other slowdowns can be due to bugs in third party font management utilities/plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

The discussion is confusing.  Is it a problem with Apple's Mountain Lion (upgraded from Snow Leopard) or is it a problem with Adobe PS6 pertaining to the Text Engine Pref (Middle East v. Near Eastern)?  What do you mean by "we're trying to reduce the number of calls we make into Apple's code for this, in order to reduce the slowdown" ... does this mean the more you let Apple know about the problem, the slower the problem gets fixed???

Meanwhile, I switched back to Near Eastern, but that certainly is not a long-term solution since I need to do some work in Hebrew.  As more as "bugs in third party font management utilities/plugins", I do not have anything in my plug in folder in PS6 and no font management utilities although I did purchase some fonts from Masterfont.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in the OS that causes the OS APIs to slow down a lot when using middle easter type.  That slowdown is worse on 10.8 than on previous OS versions (but was still quite noticable on previous OS versions).

To reduce the pain of Apple's slowdown, we are trying to reduce how often we call Apple's slow code - thus reducing the overall slowdown by some factor.

We don't know if or when Apple will address the problems in their OS code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Is there something an end-user can do to encourage Apple to "fix" Mountain Lion so this slowdown does not occur.  The slowdown is much worse in Mtn Lion than Snow Leopard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can try posting in Apple's forums and telling them that it is important to you.

We're continuing to pursue the problem from our end and encourage Apple to find and fix the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for suggesting that! I was having the same problem, basically a beach ball every few seconds when any document was open. Couldn't even hardly adjust Photoshop's preferences (with an image open in the background), because it would constantly hang and all the option controls were intermittently (most of the time) unresponsive. This is an a new iMac (late 2012 model); used Migration Assistant to move from my old 6-year-old Mac Pro, but reinstalled CS6 on the new machine just to be safe. It was like I was running CS6 on a computer from the 1980s. None of the performance settings helped, and I don't have any custom plugins installed. But the moment I changed the text engine to Middle Eastern, ta-da! Like magic it made everything run 1000x better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never experienced a problem yet using CS6. Actually, I like the specs of this latest version and I'm very satisfied when using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 Photoshop running extremely slowly since Mountain Lion - Already running on East Asian Text, so that fix isn't working for me.

Illustrator also throwing up some unusual problems with file corruptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2013 Jan 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, no solutions. Adobe plz hurry up, an update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe.

Photoshop is impossible to use after the Retina update under OS X 10.8.

It is so slow, so it's impossible to use. I am not exaggerating to make it sound dramatic. It really is that bad.

That cheap but very competent competitor Pixelmator is blazing fast in comparison.

Please fix it.

My only fix so far (which is not really a fix) is to open Photoshop in low resolution.

Go to Finder, cmd+i to bring up info on the Photoshop app. Click on Open in low resolution. Open it again.

Speed is then decent, but I like the retina display. So please fix this nagging bug... really fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a problem with the Middle East composer, as mentioned previously.

Otherwise something else on your system is slowing it down -- other users are not seeing the performance problems that you mention.  Causes could be third party plugins, OS bugs, third party utilities (antivirus, font managers, utilities that modify OS drawing behavior), etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about giving us the means of generating a system log that is meaningful to you and then you do the digging? It's your software so you're in a much better position to find and solve the issue than me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop Help ->System Info log helps with most things.

But many OS utilities don't show up so easily.

You are in a much better position to troubleshoot your system than we are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to switch over to Middle east composer just to try it, and boy then it took the slowdown to new heights.

No software is perfect. It can always be fixed. But to just sit back and point elsewhere doesn't impress me very much.

Should I send you the my log? Is it a good place to start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we think the ME composer is running into some OS issues (some calls take WAY longer than they should), but we're still debugging the issue.

You have something on your system that is slowing down Photoshop, that is not present on other user's computers.  So you need to help figure out what is different about your system that is causing a problem that other users are not seeing.

Post the System Info log here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took my time and did some testing. I don't have any 3d party filters or anything. The photoshop install is clean. I even reinstalled it. The system is also pretty clean. I decided to search within Photoshop instead - and I think I found a solution that works at least on my machine.

Preferences / Performance / turn off Use Graphics Processor --> restart Photoshop.

Ironically disabling this option (that is meant to increase performance) made photoshop perform like it should again.

Painting tools and most tools now run extremely smooth. And now changing the text engine options has no impact on performance.

Retina MacBook Pro

2.6 GHz i7

16 GB RAM

OSX 10.8.2

Graphics card: Geforce GT650M

Team: I hope you find the issue.. Graphics Card accelleration could be handy when it's working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means that something is wrong with the GPU or drivers on your system.

Other users with the same hardare aren't seeing it run slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the feeling you're suggesting that Adobe's code is verified as perfect.. I'm trying hard not to react to this attitude, but now I just did.

Apple's software update says no updates available. I take it I have the all the latest drivers.

So my last option is to reinstall the whole OS just to see if one app, Photoshop, coops with the graphics processor?

And if not, ask Apple if they can replace my mac because Adobe staff members said there is something wrong with my GPU?

... of course, it might be worth it if it makes Photoshop run better.. but it's just such a time consuming monster of a thing to do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say Adobe's code was perfect.

But if there was a bug in the app itself, MANY other people would be seeing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm facing this same problem, and it happened in both my machines,

whenever i enable the Middle Eastern Text Engine Option, thing go on SLOW mode, has this been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Chris. It's solved. I followed the instructions from Solution 5 here http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.html and even though there were no errors found after it finished, the problem actually disapeared! (there is still a stupid strange error somewhere that Adobe need to resolve in an update!)

Anyways... happy i can go back to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines