Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Shapes List Duplicates

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 21.1.1. on a Mac

I was using the dropdown shapes panel for custom shapes and hit the "Restore Default Shapes" command in the panel seettings menu.

This added a duplicate list of the default shapes already in the panel, I did this a second time and now have three repeats of the the default list, see attached screenshot.

I can't find any way to delete these duplicates - the delete command remains greyed out for every action I can think of.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Use the Shapes panel from the Window menu (not the options bar).

~ Jane

42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Shapes panel from the Window menu (not the options bar).

~ Jane

42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

Many thanks - that did it.

Regards

George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, George. I'm glad it's working.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello ,

I have the same problem exactly ... but i don't have this trash

if you can help me please

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.43.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get a answer how to fix?  Same problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to go to Window > Shapes

2019-11-23 13_12_52-Adobe Photoshop 2020.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it worked!

[personal info removed from email signature line for your protection on a public forum]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. I had the same issue with duplicate shapes. I was getting frustrated searching for the folders to delete the shapes.

UR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so dumb. why would they take it out of the flyout menu?????? it just makes more work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paulflong "why would they take it out of the flyout menu"

Not sure what you mean as it's still there in version 25.1

2023-11-16 13_56_40-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I used the shapes option in "window" drop down... these were my only options

paulflong_1-1700143484424.png

and a few of them like "delete" were greyed out. When i tried to append shapes, the only shapes I could download were trees, flowers, etc. I was looking for the legacy options and they weren't available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paulflong you need to go to Window > Shapes and then from the panel flyout menu you should see the legacy shapes and more, they're not available in the options bar.

2023-11-16 14_17_24-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8).png

2023-11-16 14_18_39-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that's what i figured out from the thread (thank you), BUT you used to be able to do all that from this menu:

paulflong_0-1700145257902.png

oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that's what i figured out from the thread (thank you), BUT you used to be able to do all that from this menu:

By @paulflong

Yes, but several versions ago Adobe moved management for Shapes to the Shapes panel. Once you add the legacy shapes there, they will be visible from the options bar as they were before.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was easy. Now on to the next custom shape issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gawd...This isssue still hasn't been fixed? It was flagged years and years ago. Once a shape is selected in the Shapes panel, you CAN delete in the pop-up panel. Makes no sense.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 09.47.20.png

I can also trigger this:

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 10.00.46.png

Not it says delete "group" though a shape is selected. When I select the menu item, I get delete shape:

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 10.01.27.png

As for appending, that was flagged too as a similar unexpected behaviour in the Brushes panel. Why would you want to append complete sets? Adding copies that you may want to edit, I can understand but complete sets? It should be Restore Default Brushes/Shapes, and a duplicate option added for copying in selected groups or shapes or brushes.

Photographer | Shangara.me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't have that option (it used to be there in previous versions). I have to use "window > shapes" and access the shapes panel to delete anything. I'm using Photoshop 2024.

paulflong_0-1700226187698.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Delete Shape in your screenshot. It's greyed out, but shouldn't be as floating and pop-up panels can talk to each other. Select a shape in the floating panel then view the pop-up and context-click on a shape. Delete Shape *should* be enabled.  It is here in Ps 2024, and other versions. The logic makes no sense. If a delete is availble when a shape is selected in the floating panel, it should be by default in the pop-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i agree.. look at the screen shot again, the last tree is selected...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you look at my screenshot and explanation, you should be able to enable delete...my point is, why would you want to seeing as you have to enable it via the pop-up Shapes panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines