• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Device Preview Removed?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Device Preview was an extremely useful tool that I used often. Why was it removed?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017
Here's an official response:

Photo of Stephen Nielson

Stephen Nielson, Group Product Manager

Yes, Device Preview was removed from the latest version of Photoshop. We always try to avoid removing features unless absolutely necessary. In this case, it was necessary to improve the performance of Photoshop, as well as focus our development efforts on higher-priority needs.

If you are on macOS, I would recommend you try out the free Skala Preview app as an alternative.  The client app is available for both iOS and Android: https://bjango.com/mac/skalapreview/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely it was not heavily used and because and would be very expensive to maintain multiple versions of device preview mobile apps.  That will be required  because of the differences between mobile devices.  Apple IOS 11 can not be used on older Apple devices and Older app can not be used on devices with the current IOS 11 version for 32 Bit apps are not compatible with IOS 11 and 64bit apps are not compatible with older devices..    Google Android OS is use by many manufactures for their OS. However, they do not update all the mobile devices to use the latest Android version.  So there will be compatibility issues in the Android market place like there are in the Apple market place.   If there is not a big demand for Device Preview the development and maintenance cost can not be justified.    I do not work for Adobe so I cam not answer for Adobe and Adobe may not make a public comment on this.  If Adobe does it will most likely not be made in this Adobe User forum.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judging by the number of posts regarding Device preview's removal, you are misguided in your usage assumptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an official response:

Photo of Stephen Nielson

Stephen Nielson, Group Product Manager

Yes, Device Preview was removed from the latest version of Photoshop. We always try to avoid removing features unless absolutely necessary. In this case, it was necessary to improve the performance of Photoshop, as well as focus our development efforts on higher-priority needs.

If you are on macOS, I would recommend you try out the free Skala Preview app as an alternative.  The client app is available for both iOS and Android: https://bjango.com/mac/skalapreview/

If you are on Windows, there are a number of alternatives available that you might try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that reply should have been tagged into Device Preview's FAQ page in Adobe's Help Files. To most users it seems Adobe removed the feature without any viable alternatives in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak for what they should have done, but hope that clears up as to "why".

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily downgrading to a version of Photoshop that works (2017) is easy. I'm hoping Adobe will let us know when they fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was very useful. I can name a few other things that could have been removed, other than the Preview App. Hopefully Adobe, will come up with a plug in, for those of us that want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Photoshop Plug-in can not provide you a device preview.   This Photoshop feature communicated with your mobile device's device preview apps.  These apps are no longer available. They also do not work on Mobile devices with new mobile Operating systems like  IOS 11 which supports 64bit apps old 32 bit apps like device preview are incompatible with IOS11.   You can continue to use your old Photoshop version and you old IOS system with the old device preview apps you have.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JJMack. Even though, the feature was very useful, in order to keep a feature like that it has to be used heavily, otherwise it does not make sense. Myself, I used it a lot, since it was very easy to give presentations live and get feedback from the clients. The only alternative I could probably suggest is Exporting Artboards as PDF and syncing with Creative Cloud. The only downside is, that if you need to make any changes, you will have to re-export it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was an extremely useful tool in photoshop and one of the few that was keeping me designing for screens with Photoshop.  With InVision Studio coming out and apps like Sketch, Adobe is going to lose more users with time.  To say I am disappointed in the removal of this feature is an understatement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should then communicate that to Adobe if there is a high demand perhaps Adobe will develop a new Device preview feature they can support. Use Adobe Feedback site not this user forum you not dealing with Adobe here your communicating with Adobe users like yourself.. Use this link tell Adobe You want a Device Preview feature: Photoshop Family Customer Community 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I search the internet to find some other to replace Device Preview, and finally got one name PsMirror.

It works like Device Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it's working for me perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was an unfortunate omission from PS 2018 – even though there are 3rd party applications that mimic this feature. However, 3rd party applications are subject to tardy updates and the possibility of being discontinued. Since Photoshop is the requisite tool for mobile application and graphic design – then the facility to preview those designs, instantly, is mandatory to an efficient workflow (especially in a environment of tight deadlines and hovering design directors).

For those who are writing, in defense of discontinuing this feature, that Photoshop was never intended as a UI design tool, please realize that was only true around 1990. Since then Photoshop has been intentionally developed and refined into a essential tool for multiple design disciplines.

Please bring this feature back as it is central to workflows, including photographers who need to preview the appearance of images on devices during the editing phases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should use Adobe Feedback site for your request. Post your append there Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmmm...Looks like you try to force users to switch Abobe XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User here do not force other users to do anything. We just use Adobe products and try to help other users use Adobe Photoshop.  I for one only use Photoshop.  I do not develop for the web and have absolutely not reason to want Device Preview or Adobe XD.   Like any Creative cloud user I can install older versions of Adobe Products like Photoshop and older version of Apple iOS on Apple devices and use Device Preview with Photoshop if I needed it.  I could also install Adobe XD and use it.   I guess I just don't feel the force. It not a strong force for sure.

User here have suggested  using PS Mirror not Adobe XD  Ps Mirror - Photoshop Design Preview

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I do not develop for the web and have absolutely not reason to want Device Preview or Adobe XD."

Jack, Please realize that Photoshop is a primary tool for multiple disciplines (e.g. game design, ui design, product development, concept art) that develop for mobile devices. Adobe cannot segment out core visualization tools without hampering these individuals' workflow by requiring switching to another application to view updates on device or being reliant on 3rd party applications.

Reverting to earlier versions of Photoshop is not an option, as mobile application artists and developers appreciate all of Adobe's feature improvements and versioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need not revert you should have more than one working version of Photoshop installed for when New Update and new versions  brake Photoshop.   Currently I have CS6, CC 2014 and CC 208 19.1.3 installed the are bugs in all version of Photoshop. If you want to use Device Preview your only option is old software.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So they got rid of this feature and the ability to preview the font increments on the fly. (Being able to see the font get bigger or smaller using the up and down arrow keys) What the hell Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn I really miss this feature. please bring it back - super disappointing its gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why Adobe Preview is not connecting with Photoshop anymore and finally found this post. I have to say that I'm quite devastated that this has been removed. Many of us in our mobile games studio uses this feature a lot, especially the game artists. Whenever I've been designing UI's for our mobile games, I've usually kept my device connected at all times to make sure all the UI elements are visible enough on the phone as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And PS: Tried installing PsMirror which seems to be a bit of a questionable app. I could not get it to work. It wanted me to log in, however didn't give me an option to register, then was expecting some QR code etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can register an account on the website here

http://www.psmirror.net/en

If meet any problem, you can ask the creator for help on twitter.

and. I am the creator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines