Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dots Whenever I Use Brush Tool

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am trying to follow a Photoshop Tutorial but everytime I use the brush tool these dots appear instead of smooth strokes, it is the same with the layer mask as pictured below.  The brush mode is normal.  I have no idea what the problem is so could really use some help! 

Thank you! 

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 14.46.09.pngScreenshot 2020-01-07 at 14.52.57.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Looks like you're using a halftone screen brush tip. Would you show your brush settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you're using a halftone screen brush tip. Would you show your brush settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're exactly right, all fixed.  I feel very silly now! Haha! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you certainly are not. Sometimes you just don't see things like that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, no worries. Sometimes it's easy to miss things. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Window > Brushes to open your Brushes panel. Open the General Brushes folder and select one of the basic brushes like Soft Round or Hard Round, depending on what you need. Like Marianne-Deiters mentioned, it looks like you have one of the brushes from the halftones_and_screentones folder selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really like to know why the hell this happened in the first place. I didn't select anything, the brush was working fine and then all of a sudden I was getting "Kyle's Screentones 38". But it wasn't obvious until I selected the General Brushes dropdown and selecting Soft Round. This is yet another example of Adobe software acting up and causing workflow delays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Mike, worked fine until the latest updates. Now these dots appear every time I open PS and try to mask an image. Frustrating to say the least, all these extra clicks slowing workflow. I reverted to an older version of PS (2021) that works normally and deleted the current version. It's apparent the latest generation of programmers have less capability to make improvements than to create bugs. I used to recommend PS when their prompt asks me to on a scale of 1-10, I've stopped doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Brushes, Brush Settings, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What is the position of "Kyle's Screentones 38" among your Brushes? 

This is yet another example of Adobe software acting up and causing workflow delays!

Does not seem extremely likely, there are keyboard shortcuts for Brush Selection one might have hit inadvertently for example. 

But I am naturally not claiming there are no bugs in Photoshop … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I simply reset the brush tool and now it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy fix: reset the brush tool (right click on the brush icon located left side of the tool bar) and all works normally now, no dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines