• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epson Scanner Twain driver

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue involves CS5.1 and the Epson expression 10000 XL graphic arts scanner. I have recently been unable to import the Epson scan driver in Photoshop. It stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I've tried searching for Epson driver updates and downloading Twain plug ins from Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Twain technology is basically 32 bit and meant for Photoshop's 32 bit (Program Files x86) version, not the 64 bit one.

It's basically discontinued technology, but if you still wish to have the Twain function, Vuescan will work.

Trial it out here: VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twain technology is basically 32 bit and meant for Photoshop's 32 bit (Program Files x86) version, not the 64 bit one.

It's basically discontinued technology, but if you still wish to have the Twain function, Vuescan will work.

Trial it out here: VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gener7, I was able to solve my problem by opening photoshop in 32 bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 7 on a 64bit HP Win 10 PC specifically to scan from my Epson  DS-50000 using the Twain option. It works fine for me using Epson Scan 2 software. All features work but I sometimes it reverts back to default scan which means I just have to set it back to my saved setting for the session. Not really a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Epson and download the free Epson Scan (standalone) driver. TWAIN is dead.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it's not dead for me. MeIt works a dream as previously mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but you're stuck with software from the previous century to run it. TWAIN was never developed for 64 bit applications.

It might have lived if it was necessary, but it never was. TWAIN wasn't a "scanner driver", just an interface. All TWAIN ever did was call the native scanner driver from within Photoshop. But then people discovered that the native driver actually worked more efficiently outside Photoshop, because you didn't have to tie up Photoshop while the scan was running. Which could take ages for transparencies and negatives.

Just use the Epson driver. That's what TWAIN does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the Epson 2 software does not scan directly into Photoshop without Twain. The reason I use Epson 2 scan is because it has a deskew document feature. The deskew feature in VueScan has to be run through the software twice whereas Epson scan 2 does it on the first scan. Do you know of a better solution\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Epson driver/scan utility as a standalone application. You get exactly the same interface and options as you do with TWAIN. You would, because it's the very same software.

I'm sure Vuescan is excellent software, but you don't need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You save a TIFF and open it in PS; better than no scan (with TWAIN).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are both forgetting the reason I am using Epson Scan 2. The Epson driver/scan utility as a standalone application does not include the deskew function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need to switch to advanced mode. There is no actual functionality in TWAIN, it doesn't do anything.

A lot of people misunderstood this. TWAIN isn't scanning software. It just brings the software into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK I understand. But I can not scan directly to Photoshop using Epson Scan 2 without Twain. Can you recommend an alternative option? I've tried WIA and it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines