• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: There is a problem with Generator

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For past two days, I get this error and some of PS function don't work: "There is a problem with Generator. Please quit Photoshop and try again. If the problem persists, remove any third-party plug-ins or try reinstalling Photoshop."

Today, I updated PS, and it installed this version:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.8 20191122.r.92 2019/11/22: 1208122 x64

I don't think I've added any plugins and the Generator plugin in the photoshop files is empty.

I've restarted PS, I've restarted my machine, and I've udpated the software.  I still get this same error message.  I can't find a support ticket system for monthly subscription users, is there one?  Please assist. Sincerely, VT

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Hi,

Me too had the same issue and tried almost everything to get rid of the warning message for which the results were negative after every attempt.But, Finally when I had an accidental glance to my notifications panel, which is at the bottom most right corner of the task bar in Win 10 I got the solution for it.

When I clicked the notification which said "Unauthorised changes blocked(Controlled access blocked)"  it lead me to the " Virus & threat Secur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You tried everything on this page? (It was updated yesterday with new solutions around whitelisting Photoshop and details about local network connections needed)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/error---there-is-a-problem-with-generator--occurs-when-launchin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also for users who use Malwarebytes. . . their latest update stopped Generator from working.  You need to add 
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe to your "Allow List"
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/254622-latest-update-breaks-photoshop/

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me.
Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added Node.exe and port 8010 to allow list for both Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall which has stopped the error message, but didn't actually fix the issue. Export is still broken. Still happens even with Malwarebytes fully closed.

11.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry. I don't have that issue. I only hope someone can help with yours. It's quite serious, isn't it?

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this in full before trying anything else. (open PS - edit - preferences - perfromance - turn off graphics processor). Have you tried uninstalling completely. remove folders, My Documents - App Data (Local - adobe - delete / Local Now - adobe - delete / Roaming - adobe - delete). then (C:\ Progam Files - adobe - delete / Program x86 - adobe - delete / Program Data - adobe - delete) that removes pretty much everything expect registry, but make sure you uninstall first before deleting this. Restart the computer and have malwarebytes turned off and reinstall cloud and apps, see if that fixes it. I didnt touch my registry. One more thing you can before this is open PS and "edit - preferences - performance - and turn graphics processor off. I really hope this helps you out. Try turning the graphics processor off before you do anything else, it may just work. I will say this vipre thought PS was sending a code injection which is not good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i own an I.T. business and this drove me crazy for a few hours. my ssd failed and i re-imaged the new drive (different brand) and i thought that was the issue. Turns out it had nothing to do with it. i am running vipre internet security and malwarebytes in conjuction with each other. All i did was reset my firewall rules and whitelisted node.exe and that didnt work. as soon i shut down malwarebytes it worked. I did a full uninstall, removed anything remotely to do with adobe or adobe products. Mine is now working and all i had to do was turn off malwarebytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone else is still experiencing this issue:

I first saw the Generator error message a few weeks ago. I found and implemented the Malwarebytes Allow List solution which worked up until yesterday. After some chatting with the MB staff on their forum, I figured out that the issue was actually with Microsoft's ransomware settings.

You can access my post on Malwarebyte's forum with more details here if needed. I am going to play around with these settings a bit more to figure out which files are actually causing this on MS's end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: The file that seem be causing it on Microsoft's end is c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Photoshop.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MalwareBytes caused the issue for me with Photoshop 2020 on Windows 10 latest build. Open Malwarebytes. Click gear for settings and add Photoshop folder to the Enable List.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Me too had the same issue and tried almost everything to get rid of the warning message for which the results were negative after every attempt.But, Finally when I had an accidental glance to my notifications panel, which is at the bottom most right corner of the task bar in Win 10 I got the solution for it.

When I clicked the notification which said "Unauthorised changes blocked(Controlled access blocked)"  it lead me to the " Virus & threat Security/Protection History" in Windows Security.From there I "allowed" the "AdobeGCClient" or else you can simply turn of the "controlled folder acess" under Ransome ware protection.

In short : Goto Windows Security ˃ Virus & Threat Protection Ëƒ Ransomeware Protection (Bottom most) Ëƒ Manage Ransomeware protetion Ëƒ Allow an app through controlled folder access Ëƒ type "YES" for the prompt Ëƒ Add an allowed app Ëƒ select recently blocked app (you must have tried to open Adobe PS and try to export a file) Ëƒ Select Adobe Photoshope and the "Node" . 

Thats all!!

Done!

Now goback and open Adobe PS..No more erorrs!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Photoshop 2019 and 2020 and I found that the problem was with Malwarebytes reported that node.exe, which Generator uses, was the problem. I simply went to the Malwarebytes exclusion list and whitelisted node.exe which solved the problem. I double-checked with other scanners that I have and nothing else reported a problem. I hope this fixes for other folks that use Malwarebytes as a second scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olhovschi_0-1587773873497.png

Awesome! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for Mac users some one has an answer?  please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, this seems to have worked for me. 🤞

The main adobe help page on this topic should really be updated to explain this. It says to "whitelist" photoshop and node, but it doesn't explain where to do this. It's not clear that this needs to happen under "Ransomeware Protection".

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/error---there-is-a-problem-with-generator--occurs-when-launchin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, im just here to say "Thank you very much" it worked with many other softwares...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many many thanks!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bei mir war das Problem gelöst, nachdem die Sicherheitsprogramme in Win10 die Anforderungen von Photoshop kennen gelernt hatten:

1. Port Freigabe TCP 8010
1.1 Systemsteuerung\System und Sicherheit\Windows Defender Firewall
1.2 Erweiterte Einstellungen
1.3 Eingehende Regeln, für node.exe alle Ports freigeben
1.4 Ausgehende Regeln, für node.exe alle Ports freigeben

2. adobe/photoshop/node.exe auf whitelist in Firewall
2.1 Öffnen „Windows Defender Security Center“.
2.2 Wählen Unterpunkt „Viren- und Bedrohungsschutz“.
2.3 Klicken auf „Einstellungen für Viren- und Bedrohungsschutz“.
2.4 Dort finden Sie weiter unten die Option „Ausschlüsse hinzufügen oder entfernen“.
2.5 Klicken Sie auf „Ausschluss hinzufügen“ und wählen Sie die gewünschte Datei.
2.6 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe

3. adobe/photoshop/node.exe auf whitelist in Malwarebytes
3.1 Einstellungen/Zahnrad
3.2 Zulässige Liste
3.3 node.exe eintragen (ganzer Pfad)

For me, the problem was solved after the security programs in Win10 had learned the requirements of Photoshop:

1. port enable for TCP 8010
1.1 Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall
1.2 Advanced settings
1.3 Incoming rules, release all ports for node.exe
1.4 Outgoing rules, release all ports for node.exe

2. adobe/photoshop/node.exe on whitelist in Firewall
2.1 Open "Windows Defender Security Center
2.2 Select "Virus and Threat Protection".
2.3 Click on "Virus and Threat Protection Settings".
2.4 You will find the option "Add or remove exclusions" below.
2.5 Click on "Add exclusions" and select the desired file.
2.6 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe

3. adobe/photoshop/node.exe on whitelist in malware bytes
3.1 Settings/gear wheel
3.2 Permitted list
3.3 Entering node.exe (full path)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with 21.1.3, 21.1.2,21.1.1,21.0.3

No third party plug-ins

No files in generator folder

I have tried.

Resetting prefs

Disable/ Enable Graphics Processor

Enable / disable generator in prefs

Removal of photoshop settings folder in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020

Uninstall latest photoshop and go back several versions

Uninstall all photoshops and reinstall 2020

Run Adobe installation cleaner

Removal of Malwarebytes completely
Using Norton Security - unblocked port 8010
Added Photoshop2020.exe and node. js to allowed programs

Check registry personal entry uses %userprofiles%
Spent hours searching Goggle
STILL NO FIX
Large Project on hold as I cannot export.

I canot render video  due to generator issue.

Anyone got any bright ideas or perhaps Abobe might like to comment as it seems a very common problem going back several editions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you sloved that question? the way at above i have tried,but it doesnt work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry! The instructions actually worked for me. Hopefully you can find some way to solve the problem. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have seen a lot of solutions for windows users, but none for Mac. I am on a brand new Mac I have no malware bytes or pluggins yet installed.. I double checked just to be sure after running a reinstall of Photoshop. I just want to export PNGs, how can I resolve this?

Any suggestions? or are the Mac solutions in a different thread?

Thanks,
Erin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case the generator plugin error appeared with the new version of Photoshop 2021. I kept Photoshop version 2020 which had no problems with the generator plugin.

I got rid of this error by renaming the Adobe log folder in /Users/[user name]/Library/Logs/Adobe  (Mac)

The next time I started Photoshop, the generator problem was gone.

Reason for the issue:
I compared the Logs directory structure and recognized that the folder "../Logs/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2021/" was missing before and only "../Logs/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2020/" folder was there.
Now it has been created and the generator issue was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this on my system and I just wanted to come back and post here incase it helped anyone. I'm using Windows 10 and had gone through all the fixes listed here and in the official support page, all of which are good ideas but none of which solved the problem.

What I noticed was that my NAS was offline (I'd disconnected it temporarily) and in Windows 10 I had previously pointed my Documents folder/library to a folder share on my NAS.

What fixed the Generator error for me was resetting the Documents "library" in Windows 10 to its default setting (it points locally to the user profile directory). As soon as I did that, generator started working again.

To do this, right click "Documents" under "This PC", choose Properties, then Location, then click the Restore Default button. Make sure this won't break anything else first if you have programs that expect things to be in a certain place. I also choose not to move files over when it asks (could be a lot of files) although depends on your needs.

Generator or one it's dependencies must use the location of the Documents folder/library on Windows 10 in some way and if it can't access it then it will throw an error. When my NAS was online and accessible, I don't remember seeing this error but can't be sure.

Hopefully Adobe can fix this once and for all by making Generator fall back gracefully to a default (always accessible) folder when the Documents library/folder isn't accessible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines