• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ESC, Delete/ Backspace no longer working with the Polygonal Lasso

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When creating a selection with the polygonal lasso I used to be able to use the ESC key to exit out of the selection. Also, using the delete or backspace key used to allow me to go pack to a previous point in my selection. Neither of these functions are working for me anymore on Windows 10 Pro 64bit and Photoshop 23.4.2

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this page searching for an answer to the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, having the same problem! 3 out of 4 times shortcuts don't work on poly lasso. Just commenting to add my voice.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the problem is still present, too. But this is no surprise:

As long as the new Photoshop version only works together with the new Bridge version, I will not update Photoshop. The new Bridge version is the weirdest software revision I have ever seen by Adobe.

I hate the Cloud concept of Adobe. Until CS6 the programs were released every 1 or 2 years. Until the next Creative Suite came out there were only updates with bugfixes. When the next Creative Suite came out, the previous CS-version was well-engineered to the end.

Now with Creative Cloud, every now and then comes a new version with new features, annoying features, with new bugs. The old version is not engineered anymore or maximum until the end of the year.

As a result we see these bugs which break the every day workflow of users who have to earn money with this software.

And as a bonus: Yes, Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere do have some now features since CS6. But the only feature which I really accept as an improvement is the better hardware support of Premiere Pro. All the other programs and their features are nearly the same or not much better than in CS6. On contrary: The User Interface of your programs became weird crap (e.g. auto-hide of scrollbars in inactive windows, buttons that don't appear like buttons, lesser contrasts, more and more pressure to save the documents in the cloud, ...) - just like Windows 10 and 11.

Maybe your software is now good for the ones who work fast and upload their photo to Instagram 3 seconds after they shot it with their Smartphone. Those who [removed by moderator] about unclean edges with your fancy quick selection tools.

But for exact and professional work your new features  [removed by moderator] - especially when you break basic features that worked perfectly over 20 years.

If my CS6 (at home, not at work) does not work anymore some time in the future, then I will leave Adobe forever. And if you think I would not have paid for Adobe in the last 10 years: If you had continued the release standalone Creative Suites then I really would have bought newer versions.

At work I will recommend to get away from Adobe CC. Your CC software is  [removed by moderator]. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this heavy offtopic answer - I was very angry yesterday for many different reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I understand frustration when the software that helps us get our income does not work as intended...

Thank you for acknowledging and explaining your situation. Here's hoping things will get better soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2014 Adobe Employees confronted with the same problem: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-backspace-key-not-working-with-polygonal-a... "Thanks for the report. I've logged it in the bug database and we are currently investigating."

Now when they see everyone is having the same problem they just say, "Damn your settings must be wack stay safe tho"

Like cmon bruh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nathan27563091dza5 wrote:

2014 Adobe Employees confronted with the same problem: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-backspace-key-not-working-with-polygonal-a... 
"Thanks for the report. I've logged it in the bug database and we are currently investigating."

Nathan, I followed your link from 9 years ago and also saw, "This issue is fixed in the 14.2.1 update" from Senior Product Manager Jeffrey Tranberry.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not acceptable. You've been aware of this for long enough to fix it.  [removed by moderator] Make it work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone please tell me if this problem is fixed in the newer Photoshop versions (2023)?

I hate to update the [removed by moderator] Adobe Bridge. But this lasso-bug  [removed by moderator] that much.

Especially when using the magnetic lasso: Hitting Space for moving the image on the screen - and then the lasso selects crazy  [removed by moderator] diagonally across the image when moving the mouse :-X. And the Delete key cannot undo this.  [removed by moderator].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do you have a recording of the issue? Can't repro right now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I can try in the next few days to record the problem with simple Windows tools. You will not be able to see mouse clicks or keyboard interactions there. I don't have access to professional recording tools at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backspace for lasso works in 24.1.0 for me now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 24.1.1

This doesn't happen every time, but sometimes when I'm zoomed in on an image and I'm using the Lasso tool to select an area, and I try to backspace to go back to the previous state, the backspace key doesn't work and I can't move the screen by pressing the spacebar. So sometimes I have to cancel all my selections, zoom out, zoom back in, and select again. Is there any way to improve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging with main thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I finally had access to a Windows machine running the latest 24.1.1 version. Indeed, Delete does not work as expected 100% of the time with the magnetic lasso tool. Sometimes, I need to add a point, in order to remove the previous one. Sometimes, it seems that hovering the last point seems to allow Delete to work.

Things I'm going to test: only having Ps running. Currently, I have Office teams, chrome, and some explorer Windows.

Another thing to try: trying to disable the spring loaded shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing that issue. And I hate to see that this bug is still present in the newest version.

I made a short video as you wished: https://youtu.be/M0ju7AdC3GE

I made a few comments what I try to do.

- Space bar to move the image a bit. It grips only after some mouse movement. In the meantime the magnetic lasso selects a bit across the image. Besides from that, I have many situations where Space bar does not work at all.

- Delete never works

- Enter or Esc to end the selection never work

- Alt always works (to switch to the polygonal lasso)

And by the way:

Adobe Premiere Pro became another piece of s..oftware, just like Photoshop.

"Alt Gr" characters do not work - a bug from 2020 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, My experience is that delete sometimes does not work, in your care, is it 100% of the cases? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I close a selection and do [something?!] then it works for 1-2 selections again. Then the problem occurs again for 2-3 selections.

In my opinion it is totally random. I do not know what causes the problem to appear or disappear.

When I start a selection and the problem occurs, the problem persists all the time for that selection. I never experienced that the problem appears or disappears within one single selection.

In the second half of the video I tried to press the Delete key continuously and hover the mouse over the last magnetic points. It seemed that it sometimes deletes the last point - but then creates another new point immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Добры день! Необходимо выбрать на панеле инструментов лассо и зайти в настройки инструмента на панеле сверху (где настраиваются его свойства), там будет шестеренка с настройками, где необходимо выбрать "восстановить инструмент", все заработает)

Скриншот 12-07-2023 172641.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2023 Jul 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that seems to work. It killed my current selection, but after that the problem did not occur again. Let's see...

Anyway: I updated Photoshop 1-2 weeks ago. And the problem was still present after that.

And furthermore: Now the "hand" tool (space bar) gets sticky. When using the space bar to move the artboard, sometimes it keeps to be sticked to the mouse cursor, even when space bar is not pressed anymore.

It never gets boring with Adobe software since the last 10 years. And not in a pleasant way...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is still present in the 24.7.0 release. Really exhausted by these bugs and the condescending attitudes of some of these Adobe "helpers"
Adobe- The Workflow Killer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, here it is still present, too. The "solution" up there seemed to work first, but after a few hours/days the problem appeared again.

Plus: Some more annoying bugs, as described above. This sticky space bar sucks so much. Really Adobe: I hate your development. Personally I will never buy (or rent, he he he...) any Adobe product anymore. At work... I will use what we have to use. But if anyone asks I will never recommend Adobe again. Sorry, but you had many years to become a reliable software company again. But now it's too late.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this bug is very present in the Photoshop Beta and most recent versions of Photoshop.

To add to this, Spacebar to switch to handtool is not working during lasso sometimes, this coincides with when Delete is not working.

If I just immediately close the selection, Deselect and then start again it's usually fine.

Super annoying bug that's been around for years, I'm amazed we pay as much as we do for this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I recently built a new PC and specifically didn't import my Photoshop preferences just to see if these problems went away. Clearly not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines