• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feather Mean

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feather means bird feathers as you know it, but why is it called "feather" in the Adobe program?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The word 'feather' can be used in way more situations than bird feathers.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never gave it much thought, Trevor but it looks Photoshop adopted the "blur" sense of the word from the ink print trade.
: to soak in and spread : blur —used of ink or a printed impression

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I refer to the verb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use "feather" as a verb to mean "blur or soften edges" in Photoshop as explained in the article I linked in my reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7, I know that's the effect of feather. But I'm curious about the dictionary meaning of why it's called a feather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7, I know that's the effect of feather. But I'm curious about the dictionary meaning of why it's called a feather.

By @bbinkorea

I've used fountain pens on newspaper. the ink does spread out and gives the appearance of a feather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used fountain pens on newspaper. the ink does spread out and gives the appearance of a feather.

By @gener7

Where is this phrase from?

I can't undestand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. If you use Photoshop it's best to understand what "feather" means there.  But basically it comes from the "ink on paper" sense of the word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. If you use Photoshop it's best to understand what "feather" means there.  But basically it comes from the "ink on paper" sense of the word.

By @gener7

Oh now I think I get it.

So "ink on paper" is the origin of the dictionary meaning of verb "feather"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Trevor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Feather in Adobe: Not About Birds

Feather in Adobe software refers to the process of softening the edges of a selection. It's like gradually fading the selection into the surrounding area, creating a smooth transition instead of a harsh cut-off.

The term likely comes from the visual similarity to the soft, gradual transition between a bird feather's barbs and the surrounding air. It's a descriptive metaphor for the effect achieved in digital image editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines