• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File not saving as jpeg but a copy of psd

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to save one of my files as a jpeg and it keeps saving it as a copy in psd format. I've never had this problem before and not sure how to fix it. I'm using CS6. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are saving the file - are you using save as?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Save as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, let's see if I can help somehow from the little we know

Every time a format is not available in the Save As dialog, that format that you are requiring is invalid for the file you are working with.

Now, a version around CS5 would not show jpg as an option if the image you are using is a 16-bit image. You are on CS6 but what do I know? I give it a try. May that be a 16-bit image? Might that be the issue? An 8-bit image in RGB or CMYK would be saved with no issues as a jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am working in CS6 and saving in 8-bit CMYK. I save this way all the time and have never had an issue until last week?! Not sure if a setting or something got changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have multiple layers?  If so, try flattening your image prior to doing the Save-As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

josephlavine  wrote

Do you have multiple layers?  If so, try flattening your image prior to doing the Save-As.

I have Flatten Image tagged on to an Action I use for bulk edits.  Where as Merge Layers will still leave Photoshop wanting to save as PSD, TIF or PDF, Flatten Image lets you simply use Ctrl s, and it will default to JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I mean no offense to anyone but I've also been struggling with this issue and this has got to be the dumbest and most frustrating resolution for this problem that I have read so far. I too have been working with Photoshop for YEARS and especially now that everyone is using multiple social media platforms, I find myself having to alter images slightly for each platform. So I painstakingly create an image, (flatten it), click "save as", then unflatten it. Then make adjustments, then flatten, then click "save as" then unflatten it, etc. multiple times until I finally save the PSD file in the end. I'd like to know who on the ADOBE development team thought this frustrating functionality was a "good idea"???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I flatten it won't I be unable to go back and make changes? I save it this way for drafts and such to send to people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Jpeg does not support layers.

Save the master as a PSD then Export a copy as a jpeg using Export>Export As or Export>Save for Web. That copy will not contain layers but your master PSD will.

Edit :Sorry, I just realised you are using CS6 so Export>Export As is not available, but Save As and Save for Web are. The principles of saving a master as PSD and copies as jpeg remain

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even this is goofy!  In previous versions of Photoshop, the program itself would know that jpegs don't support layers so it would momentarily flatten them for you during the save as step. You didn't have to manually make the adjustment yourself and then undo it, nor did you have to use the "save for web" feature. PLEASE just tell me who on the development team changed this, so that I'll know who to slap across the back of the head first!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you save your file after you flatten it you lose your layers. Try making a duplicate with merged layers and saving that one - then you don't have to worry about accidentally saving your original file. 2018-02-01_09-20-46.jpeg2018-02-01_09-20-51.jpeg

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My, we've had this question a lot recently, this must be the fifth in a week...

Here's the thing, Wendy: Jpeg is an extremely basic and limited file format. All it accepts is a flat, 8-bit array of pixels, that's it. Anything beyond that is no go - no 16-bit, transparency, layers, alpha channels, and so on. The jpeg format just doesn't know what to do with that.

So Photoshop saves out a copy that conforms to the jpeg spec - a flat 8-bit file, no extras. All the rest is thrown away.

But that means you still have the original file open. Photoshop doesn't throw away data without asking. The copy is saved out, but what do you want to do with the original full data? The only way to save that is usually as PSD or TIFF. That's what you're seeing.

In a way it was simpler pre CS6. Then jpeg simply wouldn't be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having a problem with Jpgs, ive just updated my system software and after re opening Photoshop and trying to save to jpg its doing something really odd....My artwork is flattened and is in 16bit RGB which is normal, select jpeg format, go through the usual settings/size hit save and its still saving as a psd file even though ive saved it as a jpg. if i try to open the now saved psd file it won't open, but if i manually replace the .psd to .jpg it will open. so i dont understand why its not saving as a jpg now? any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I found on Adobe's help site (link below) that it is a file extension issue and is being worked on. For the time being, you have to manually change the extension to match the file type.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I'm having this SAME issue as well. It's so frustrating. I also found that, even when I saved as a PSD it said "unable to read". I just tried adding on the .jpg and it did work! I hope they fix this soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue after updating to the Catalina platform. I'm having to take all of my files into LR and convert to jpg so I can upload to my client viewing system. So frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing happen after i take update to catalina platform.. please help me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  LOL... Reading this explanation is like having someone tell you why a car has wheels!  We all know that JPEGs are saved as layers. The main point is Photoshop (USED to) momentarily flatten all layers in a PSD file, save it as a JPEG and then quickly return to it's multiple layer format so fast that you missed it if you blinked - and now with this new upgrade, it simply doesn't do it anymore. End of story. So PLEASE.......... change it back!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correction:  I meant to type: "...JPEGs are NOT saved with or as layers..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  And it has NOTHING to do with layers, etc.  We know what we are doing.  We expect the image to be flattened and saved as a .jpg.  That's it.  Totally simple.  Never had the problem before.  Something else is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too, and for me, it did have to do with layers, but I didn't know it. I used the straighten tool, which actually creates a layer of one. Then it won't save as JPEG. To fix this issue, use PS to open a saved ps file, then save as, and save it again by clicking on the drop-down menu under file name called File Type. Then select JPEG. It will then save it in the format you want. Then you can delete the photoshop file you don't want. I find this only happens if I use the straighten too when editing photos. Perhaps other toos I don't use as much do the same thing. Why this started happening all of a sudden, I can't say. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, when working on a layered document, the file only gets saved as a psd. Today is the first time it's happened, feels like something wrong within the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem when I select jpg. you can see in the file box that it doesn't change form psd. I was able to select jpg. in the format list then delete the file name info and just put it in manually. Then when I look in the file info it shows up as a jpg. but, there is definitely something wrong. This wasn't happening yesterday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines