• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fixed: Pixels option is greyed out for Line tool Photoshop 22.0

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm liking most of today's update for PShop, thanks Adobe. 

But, I went to use the Line Tool (part of the Shape Tools) and the option to draw with pixels is grayed out. I can draw lines with paths and as a shape, but no longer with pixels. The pixels option is available for all the other shapes (square, ellipse, the new triangle, polygon, custom shapes, etc.), so I don't know why it wouldn't work for lines. 

Does anyone know what happened? 

{Moderator Note: PS-57177}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

In Photoshop 22.3.0 this issue appears to be rectified. (But the Pen Tool seems to be afflicted with other issues …) 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi All,

Good news, the Pixels mode is now back. For more details on adjusting line weight see Create lines and arrows using the Line tool

To update Photoshop to 22.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know your feedback!

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 325 Replies 325
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry that the "pixels" option is greyed out for the line tool. I can reproduce this issue at my end. Let me get some more information on this issue from the product team.

We appreciate your patience with us.

Thanks,

Mohit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the latest and greatest removal in version 22 drawing shapes  

Easily control Live Shape Properties directly on the canvas or within the Properties panel.

Beginning with Photoshop 22.0, you can:

• Easily create triangles with the Triangle tool under the Shape tools group in the Toolbar.
  • Use on-canvas transform and rounding controls to adjust the appearance of your shape. The keyboard modifiers will work the same way for on-canvas transform controls as they work in Transform tool in Photoshop. Modify the radius of all corners of the rectangle shape at once or hold Alt (Windows) or Option (macOS) as you drag to change the radius of a single corner.
  • Use the Line tool to draw a zero-width two-point line with on-canvas controls to change length, angle, and more. In the tool options bar, the Line tool no longer supports the Pixels mode; all the other shapes support the Pixels mode along with Shape and Path.
  • Easily rotate a shape using the on-canvas rotate handle that appears as you hover.
  • Use the properties panel to reset (

) all modifications.

So now Adobe removed the Pixel Option from the line tool so it not a bug.  You either need to stroke line path or  use a brush click move and shift click.   With Zero thick line shape can have arrow head but can not have a line shape between arrow heads what a great new feature Adobe. Arrow head shape layer with line names.

Zero thick line shape path can not be stroked it seems. But Zero thick line Paths can be stroked a single sub path at a time and be filled a single subpath at a time or your can switch the the vector tools and select all the subpaths abd stroke avd fhen fill the zero thickj paths. Custom shape arrows need to be edited to be useful.  Adobe is slowing workflows.

image.png

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, I'll have to state--Adobe has been making a mess of Photoshop for the past 4 years. I've grown further and further away from appreciating it as a rational tool. The idea that now the line tool no longer allows pixels is ridiculous. It's one exception across all other shape related tools in the menu that abides by this ridiculous limitation. Stroking pen lines is not a replacement for simply drawing a line. 

As of now, we can safely Twitter that Adobe Photoshop is incapable of drawing lines. Imagine how that sounds? Exactly. It's an absurd limitation from an underpaid engineer who didn't want to mess with the code. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I updated to Photoshop 2021 this morning and am having trouble with the line tool. i can't figure out how to change the thickness of the line in the new update. whenever i draw a line, it doesn't show up at all. i've got the color on black and i tried changing the stroke px to a higher number, but it still doesn't show up at all.

do any of you know how to increase the thickness of the line tool in the new update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in version 22 the line tool has been broken it can not lay down pixels the option is grayed out.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It been reported I believe

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! hopefully they fix it soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it actually a bug? I found this on the Adobe site. Why would they get rid of this feature? Did that many people complain about the feature? (sarcasm)

2020-10-21_11-59-13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now Adobe removed the Pixel Option from the line tool so it nou a bug.  You either need to stroke line path or  use a brush click move and shift click.  Zero thick line shape can have arrow head but can not have a line shape between arrow heads what a great new feature Adobe. Arrow head shape layer with line names.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! I made multiple documents that look a lot like that!

This is a ridiculous change. I'm going to use the previous version of Photoshop for the foreseeable future. I use both the plain line and an arrowhead line CONSTANTLY. Losing this capability makes my regular work that much more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.. it does mine as well... i don't like this new feature AT ALL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change truly screws up my workflow. 

Anybody know how to revert to the previous version of PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@roscopicosh:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Open the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Find the app you want to install, and then select the More actions icon next to it.

In the drop-down list, select Other Versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will install the previous version. I'm not a proffessional user of Photoshop, and just want to be able to draw a simple line from left to right. I don't want another programm like ilustrator. Just so frustrating when such big changes are made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an illustrator that uses that line tool all the time, this is major for me. Please please please ADOBE address this situation, and re-instate pixel to line tool. 
desperate!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not be desperate!!! just use Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know you have been hardened by a reality when you can use both those sentences together and it doesn't seem overwhelmingly incongruous. I'm not hating on The Company - I would be lost without CC. But decisions like this - to yet again yank a feature that nobody was complaining about - make you wonder who are making these decisions and why isn't somebody stopping them! Ugh.

- DK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know Adbbe is still working on Photoshop's Line tool its in the works but was not ready for use in 22.2

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change totally sucks.  Why remove this option? It was such an easy way to draw a line...now I have no idea how to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dislike the new change to the line tool very much. As a designer that works on precision drawings and renderings this REALLY disables me in my profession. I cannot say enough what a bad oversight this was to disable the pixels option on the line tool. Who is responsible for this great think tank?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, I just posted a workaround that will be simpler for some users in many situations. It's currently on page 12 of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workaround does not address the problem most of us have with the idiotic removal of the pixel line. We want to be able to quickly click in one spot, then drag the end point to another spot, eyeballing a preview of the finished line, then drop it as pixels. For example, on a layer mask. Your solution of pre-making a bunch of lines in another file is slower and less accurate than actually using the shape line, rasterizing it, and then merging it with the layer where it should have been added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. I wrote that the suggested workaround would be helpful "for some people in many situations" -- it is not an adequate replacement for the tool's former efficient functionality. About which I commented, "why they would arbitrarily remove it is a mystery."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, professional concept artist and environment designer for film and animation here and this is HUGE for me and our animation studio's current inking workflow on the Disney animated feature we are currently working on. The fastest and most intuitive way for me to draw multiple straight lines in an inking layer and be able to adjust the thickness on the fly as I go with shortcuts was with the line tool set to pixel. It was a standard on many productions, we don't need vector, we don't need multiple steps to stroke, or new shape layers for every damn line. I'm reverting to old photoshop and Adobe really has to stop taking away features for no good reason. To all those who don't understand why you would use the line tool to draw straight to raster, you clearly aren't comprehending the workflow for inking and concept art. There is no other way to draw a line at any angle with that control and with just a single stroke, unless they moved it to a new tool menu I am unaware of. Please give us back the legacy option for drawing lines straight to raster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines