• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

floating outline around text font

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious out to do a floating outline around the text as it shows in the screenshot attatched. I found  font a really like however i cant figure out how to do the floating outline.

Ive tried  creating a "Stroke" layer and lowering opacity so im left with the outline which works, however when trying to resize the original layer to use as a fill, to creat the floating outline, it will just never fit properly, even by doing each letters individually.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

You have two options using Layer > Layer Style effects. Both are using Stroke effect: either using Gradient for stroke or using Stroke > Color twice, please see screenshots. 

When using Gradient you must manipulate stops and opacity.

floating outline using gradient.jpg

When using double stroke set first stroke to 8px Color, Outside, for example, and Opacity to 0. In this case I set font to 200. Create new stroke by clkicking on plus sign on the right side of Stroke and set Outside, Color, 16px, for example, but this time move O

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

Is the floating outline part of the font? If so, then you might need to use the Font size dialog (or slider) to resize it rather than one of the other tools. Let us know how the floading outline was applied to the text.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the font with the floating outline, (see screenshot) was a premade font i downloaded. my question is, i found an entireley different font with no floating outline, but i would like to stick to the same style and create floating outline around the new font i have found, it doesnt currently have the floating outline on the new font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I woukd do :

Type the text and convert the layer to smart object.

Copy this layer (in order to get the shadow)

Apply two strokes. One white and one larger black

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.36.36.png

Transform the lower layer to set the shadow.

Sinceit is a duplicated smart object you can edit it to change the text

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.36.58.png

The text changes will appear on both layer

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.37.15.png

 And just for fun you could also instead of color stroke, choose Pattern for other creative purposes…

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 09.42.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add that you can combine 2 or more inner stroke effects with bevel and emboss like the following

Capture d’écran 2022-09-23 à 10.24.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can think of a couple of ways, depending on whether you want an outline or an inline.

For an outline, select the text, and add a new layer. With the new layer active, Select > Modify > Expand, then Edit > Stroke, followed by deselect. . You could use any color for this. Link this layer with the text, so they can be moved as a unit.

Semaphoric_0-1663946424373.png

For ans inline, add a layer mask to the text, load the text as selection, Select > Modify > Contract, then Edit > Stroke with black, and deselect.

Semaphoric_1-1663946861764.png

Both of these methods will require regenerating them if the text is edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you want to create old style 3D efffect. Here is one tutorial, steps 3 and 4 explains how to create depth https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-3d-retro-text-effect-using-layer-styles-in-adobe-phot...

You need somehwat different effect so tutorial will need some modifications, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the 3d effect isnt so much what im looking to so. just a solid floating outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two options using Layer > Layer Style effects. Both are using Stroke effect: either using Gradient for stroke or using Stroke > Color twice, please see screenshots. 

When using Gradient you must manipulate stops and opacity.

floating outline using gradient.jpg

When using double stroke set first stroke to 8px Color, Outside, for example, and Opacity to 0. In this case I set font to 200. Create new stroke by clkicking on plus sign on the right side of Stroke and set Outside, Color, 16px, for example, but this time move Opacity slider to 100%. Play with Tracking from Character panel for different spacing between characters.

floating outline using stroke.jpg

You can set and Inside for the first Stroke effect but that will change font design what is not what I would like to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is perfect, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines