Exit

Free Transform — masked image not entire layer

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I wonder if anyone knows if this is possible:

I have a layer that has a layer mask applied to it so we only see a small area of the entire image. 

When i hit Free Transform, the transform control / bounding box is the size of the entire layer, not the small area that i have masked. This makes it a little cumbersom — and trickier to scale down and control accurately. Does anyone know if there is a way to set the box to the masked area? It would still scale down the entire layer but the handles are snapped to what we can see. 

I'm pretty sure it used to be set like that but i cant seem to find an option to change it back in settings (it's possible im thinking of Illustrator which works that way)

Thanks in advance

Johnny

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

• Ctrl (Cmd) + click on layer mask to create selection from transparent or white areas.
  • Ensure mask is selected in the Layers panel.
  • Ctrl (Cmd) + T to enter Free Transform.
  • Drag handles to adjust what you want visible.
  • Confirm using Enter/Return or checkmark in the Options bar.
  • Ctrl (Cmd) + D to deselect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH interesting, didnt know you could do that, but not quite what im looking for i'm afraid —as this only transforms the image, not the mask. I want to transform both the image and mask (linked together) with the bounding box around the masked area. Bit hard to explain but hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert layer with the mask to Smart Object then transform, is that what you want?

To convert layer with the mask to smart object just right click on it and choose: Convert to Smart Object from the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained above how to transform either image or mask, depend what is selected in the layers panel. If converting to smart object does not solve your problem please explain further what you want to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan — yeah unfortunately neither of those approaches do the trick (eg cmd clicking and transforming on the layer mask + transforming just cuts a section out of the image to transform, thereby making the original image unusable if the mask needs to be changed later) but thank you. Here's a visual explaining my initial question, hopefully this is a bit clearer:

MaskingQuestion.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trust me I am not getting it, please wait for someone else who can understand what you want to achieve.

Are you sure above answer to make selection, then select mask itself then to press Cmd + T does not work?

If you convert to smart object it can be edited to expand mask as needed. 

Again, I think I can not understand what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So trying out what you suggest:

• Cmd click on layer mask to create selection + Select mask + Cmd T
    • This only transforms the selection (i dont need to do this)

I'm looking to transform the entire layer, not only the visible part of the image (or else i would discard the mask and transform). And i'm not looking to just transform the selection.

But thanks for trying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should transform mask, nor selection, by the way. It should transform white part of the mask, otherwise something is not working as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here what I am talking about. Image stays untouched, transform is applied to mask only.

transform mask only.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this — i'm not looking to transform the mask (or the selection). I want to transform the entire layer, but have the bounding box be around the masked area, for controllability. So lets say i have a very large image and I am masking just a small section of it. I want to transform the layer (the entire layer— not just the masked area, or the mask).

A parallel example is in Illustrator (if you use that). If you mask and object or image, immeditately your transform controls are around that mask, and you can scale larger/ smaller very easily. The larger (masked) image is still preserved, you just have the benefit of easy UI transform control handling the masked object you can see. I'm pretty certain this was possible in Photoshop, so there is some simple setting i am missing... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having the same problem. It used to work just fine. Now it also selects the whole image instead of the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is probably not a way to make the bounding box work the way you want, because it’s intended to show the extent of what’s selected, and that’s the layer dimensions. (Or at least I don’t know of a way to make the box go around the fully revealed mask pixels only.)

If the goal is to transform the entire layer precisely while viewing only the masked region, there are alternate methods you can use. Instead of dragging the handles, use the transform values in the options bar. This is what’s shown in the demo below…would any of this address the issue?

1. (Optional) A second window for the same document is opened, by choosing Window > Arrange > New Window. This allows monitoring the document simultaneously at both Fit magnification and zoomed into the region of interest. They are arranged by choosing Window > Arrange > 2-up Horizontal.

2. After selecting the masked layer and entering Free Transform mode, adjust the layer position by dragging the X and Y labels in the options bar. You can also adjust them with more precision by entering values in the X and Y fields, or clicking in the X or Y field and nudging the value up or down with the up arrow or down arrow keys. All while watching the window to see the result.

3. Adjust the layer size by dragging the labels for or entering values into the W and H fields.

By using the X/Y/W/H fields in the options bar, it is not necessary to see or drag the handles which are out of view.

4. To transform the layer or mask independently of the other, click the link icon between the layer and mask, to unlink them.

5. To reposition the layer on the canvas behind the mask, drag the layer with the Move tool.

6. To reposition the vector mask over the layer, drag it with the Path Selection tool. (I use vector masks whenever possible, because with a pixel layer mask there can be more complications to handle, such as revealed mask edges to fill in.)

7. To transform the vector mask in any way, independent of the layer, choose Edit > Free Transform Path, or Free Transform for a pixel mask.

Photoshop transform masked region JohnJohnJohnJohnJohn.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try converting the layer to a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnJohnJohnJohnJohn 

1. Convert the image to a smart object
  2. Edit the smart object
  3. Use the Crop tool with the "delete cropped pixels" checkbox off/unchecked
  4. Close/save the smart object
  5. The transform will now work as you wish
  6. If you need to rework the crop, edit the SO again and use Image > Reveal All and crop again with the "delete cropped pixels" checkbox off/unchecked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines