Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Freeze when using pen tool

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 
I'm having issues with photoshop after using the pen tool. About 4-5 click points in photoshop freezes, and the pen tool reverts to an inactive cursor that does nothing. The strange thing is that PS doesn't crash, so no crash report is generated. It doesn't even come up as "(Not Responding)" when I go to force quit PS.

I've recently upgraded to an iMac Pro and I'm running a BenQ SW2700 Display (2k) as the second monitor with the Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB graphics Card, so I don't think it's a GPU problem, though I could be wrong.

I've recorded my screen as it happens in the attached clip.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021
Looks like the last wacom driver solved th problem... I enabled the flick
panning and zoom animation and it looks like its not freezing

Can you check this out?

*Wendell Favachö*

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

wacom 6.3.44-3 is working atleast fow windows - two day with no problem here

I was in Driver 6.3.44-1 before

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is a Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB.

I have the same issue, my work one is a problem but my mac at home is ok. My mac at home is older which is the only difference. 

I literally updated Photoshop about 2 days ago hoping that update would have a bug fix but still nothing. Glad im not the only one with this problem tbh, its driving me mad! 

I'm testing out the theory that the hand tool seems to freeze up while penning. i've havent used the hand tool so far today and no freezes! Hoping its not a coincidence! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Les is on to something with the graphic cards being related. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue still persists nearly a year later??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I had it happen multiple times last week. It's an absolute joke that Adobe has not even dignified us with a response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe!!! we pay you good money. Are you payers beta testers???!!!! NO, they are not!!! 

I live for the day when you release products which are reliable. I have spent ages working on an image and 'make sure remember to save' shouldn't be my go-to due to your lack of reliablity. FUADOBE!!! If there was an alternative you'd be stuffed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remarkable that they still haven't fixed this issue despite several updates. So annoying! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on having this issue with the pen tool + being zoomed + hand tool. It seems to happen on other instances as well, but I do not have time examine every scenario. I am on an iMac Pro and this issue has been happening for what seems like at least a year now. I haven't lost any work over this issue, but consistently have to save then reopen files when really this bug should not exist for this long. Any updates would be appreciated! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Les Hallack,

I am also still sufering with the same problem. It is now worse than it was.

Good luck for us! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently having this issue. Can't believe this thread was opened almost exactly a year ago with no response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here...  using tablet / brush tool. Ive noticed that it hangs with the document you are working on.... if i work on an image already open the tools can be changed. The constant saving, closing/opening the document is really getting on my nerves and reducing productivity...gone down to PS 22.0.1 but still the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try switching off animated zoom in the preferences it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this did the tricky

I was in pain 

Running to see if it really did, Thanks man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

False alarme, it happened again.

Freezing while using the hand tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue, no fix yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo this is happening on multiple versions of PS. i run a version of 2020 and 2021, each has its own set of glitches which is why i have both.. but all versions of PS on my machine let me get 3 maybe 5 clicks in and boom, stops working just as everyone else described, disables the tool completly and cant get it back w/o saving then reopening and doing the same process, 3-5 clicks in and disables... have to do this process 10 plus times to fully clip an image out..kind of unreal... i just spent 45 min cutting out a simple artist image for an event. restarting the apps, restarting my computer as well...  usually takes me 3 min tops . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck Enable Flick Panning does it behave better/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the last wacom driver solved th problem... I enabled the flick
panning and zoom animation and it looks like its not freezing

Can you check this out?

*Wendell Favachö*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Wendell, could you state wich version works, and which one did not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wacom 6.3.44-3 is working atleast fow windows - two day with no problem here

I was in Driver 6.3.44-1 before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also update de drivers of wacom and indeed it looks like that solved the problem, I have worked a few hours and there was no more freezing. so far so good. 

Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2021 Dec 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also updated all the drivers but the isssue seems to be there always. It happens while i am using pen tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response Jeff! another adobe employee did a remote session on my computer and after some tinkering they ended up solving it and the issue stopped from there on out on that setup....wish i remembered what they did.. my bad on super late response didnt notice there was a reply... definitely appreciate the solution/help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but with the suggestion of @J453 it solved the problem.

" Go to Preferences > Tools... and uncheck Enable Flick Panning"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines