• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gaussian Blur Discovery Enigma

Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Accidential discovery with the Gaussian Blur tool.

Not sure how this works since I have not seen it posted on the web. There does not appear to be any blurring to the image. 

While on the process of converting images to black and white to prepare for engraving I discovered when changing to B&W and applying the Divide Blend Mode I can then use gaussian blur with a high setting to achieve amazing results. You can then apply a layer mask to tweak the dark areas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you post a question you always need to tell the Adobe program you are using
There are MANY programs in a full subscription, plus other non-subscription programs
Please post the exact name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, assumption was I was in Photoshop forum when posted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from cc services >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repost to the Photoshop Group

Accidential discovery with the Gaussian Blur tool.

Not sure how this works since I have not seen it posted on the web. There does not appear to be any blurring to the image. 

While on the process of converting images to black and white to prepare for engraving I discovered when changing to B&W and applying the Divide Blend Mode I can then use gaussian blur with a high setting to achieve amazing results. You can then apply a layer mask to tweak the dark areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool! Thanks! I can't wait to give this a try! 
Can you please tell us which method you're using to do your conversion to B&W?

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The enigma is this does not appear to work on all images. Trying to understand what it is doing.

Layer/New Adj Layer/B&W

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @westdr1dw I've requested this post be merged with your original post with the same discovery.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/gaussian-blur-discovery-enigma/m-p/13...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you aware of the relationship between Gaussian Blur and High Pass? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I immediately thought about an unsharp mask 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will compare the two and see the diff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not familiar with High Pass. Just tried running it on another image and appears to alter the image similar to Gaussian Blur. Is there a correlation between High Pass/Gaussian Blur?

Will try it and post back on the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to follow up with the replies from the group. The High Pass filter is providing awesome results in the workflow. In order to get a better understanding on what Gaussian is I did a little research and defintely worth the effort to learn how to use. Been a longtime user of PS and still learning features I never knew were in the app. 

Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ye olden days when the sharpen filter did not exist, some people (and definitely not me) devised a way to "invert" the bluriness using the high-pass filter. The frequency separation technique functions using a high pass as well, separating texture (high frequencies) and colour (low frequencies)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-pass_filter (image section)
Now we got filters that do that for us! (as the technicalities go way over my head 😁)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I think the AI features Adobe has added make us a little lazy to learn new techniques. I also use Topaz SAI which has been an awesome sharpening tool. I noticed after processing only parts of the image are enhanced. Also casting what appears to be 50% grayscale to the image. Which adds a selection step to the process. In any case will add this as another tool to reach for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines