• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 25.9.0 Generative fill not working (something went wrong, please try again)

New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try Generative expand or fill the progress bar pops up, gets 1/3rd of the way through then it errors out with a message that says "Something went wrong, please try again"

I've unintalled and reinstalled photoshop, and this issue still persists. How can I fix this so that genertive fill will work again? I rely on this tool heavily to fix images so they work for publications and i need this to be fixed.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 4.04.26 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Hey everybody.

Generative fill was down for a bit but is now functioning normally. Sorry for the inconveience. 

FYI... If in doubt, you can always check Adobe Status for up-to-date information on the status of any Adobe services.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 126 Replies 126
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps try a thorough reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state. This method ensures all preferences and any user presets which may be causing a problem are not loaded.

1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder.
    macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
    Windows: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note: The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see How to access hidden user library files.
  3. Drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

4. Open Photoshop.

New preferences files will be created in their original location.

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behaviour may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviours in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customise per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

If that doesn't fix the issue:

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.

Still hanging? 

Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. 

Do you still have problems?

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! It’s worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net  - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.

Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does my generative fill feature get stuck on my office connection but not my home connection?That really makes me frustrated, what do you think is the cause?Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 19.49.27.pngScreenshot 2024-05-24 at 19.50.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, 
I am experiencing this issue for a while now on multiple machines.
Generative Fill is ridiculously slow. It takes up to 5 minutes for one single generation (sometimes even longer if it works at all). I tried multiple machines and wifi networks, tried lan connection and even different operating systems (mac & windows). But the result is the same - it takes ages to generate anything. Even the smallest areas take a huge amount of time. 

I've come across many reports of this but there is no solution for it... And yes, I still do have creadtis. Almost 800 are left...

MarcAndre5C49_0-1716489066321.png

It stays like this for ages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Pretty slow, if it works at all. Fill, expand ... nothing works well anmore. Former versions worked great and mostly fast. Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem by me, ver 25.9 on m1 mac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, maybe due to a restart or Adobe doing some server work, it's back to normal and works again as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop for awhile but suddenly today, cannot use the AI generative fill or AI replace features. I get the message in orange, "“Something went wrong. please try again later.” I saw similar threads, but the answer either wasn't clear or was for a Mac. I am on PC, with Windows 10 Pro v. 22H2, and OS build 19045.4412. These have not changed since I began using Photoshop.  

I have tried the following fixes:

- Updating Photoshop to the latest version (25.9)

- Uninstalling and then re-installing Photoshop

- Downgrading to a lower version (24.7)

- Trying Photoshop Beta instead

- Launching Photoshop with the Shift key held to open, to skip loading optional and third-party plugins

- Shutting down the computer and turning it on again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I also went to Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings, and dragged that folder to the desktop so that new preferences files will be created in their original location, per the below. 

Preferences in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit 2: The web version of Photoshop works just fine - I'm able to use generative fill as normal. However, my destop version still has this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey  community,

Until today at noon everything was wonderful, everything worked perfectly, but suddenly the generative fill doesn't want to work anymore?!?!!!?!??

I have been working on a project for a good week now. I haven't changed anything in the settings or anything else. PS has been open the whole time as I've been working all the time and I have the latest version of PS CC installed.

The error behaves in such a way that it starts as usual with a loading bar and then an error message appears that I should try again.... and again, and again.

Then I saved all files, reopened PS but nothing helped. I have also tried other files and there is the same problem.

Actiually I am working on a  Mac from 2019:
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB
128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Sonoma Version 14.4.1 (23E224)

Many thanks and best regards from Aaron :soft_ice_cream:

PS: I have already searched for this problem, but all others have only one problem that it does not work at all, but with me it is so that it suddenly no longer wants!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a lot of people are having the same issue. It seems to be something with the update or on Adobe's end

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, I think it's a global issue. We may just have to wait until they fix it, it might have to do with their new PS beta release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both for your two quick replies. It sounds reassuring!!!  😅

I've already seen myself here, uninstalling everything, reinstalling, creating new users.... and whatever .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, one sleep and it's working again!!!  🥳
Maybe there would be no connection to the server, or overload, or update...etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This istemporary glitch with Photoshop. Try resetting the Preferences file by holding Alt+Control+Shift while launching Photoshop. If that doesn't work, reinstall the latest Photoshop update. Sometimes a fresh install can resolve random issues like this when they crop up unexpectedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works again without doing something!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, Thanks for informing me
best regards

Fesco bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to 25.9.0 without and problems. However, Generative Fiill bar shows Import Image, but not Generate Image as an option. I've unistalled and reinstalled PS, but no change. Any thoughts appreciated.Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 10.05.06 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael J McDonald you need to make a selection for the option to show

2024-05-23 17_10_53-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already tried that and it does not work. it just shows the icons to the left of hte generative fill button and not the generative fill option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried making a selection, but get exactly the same as what divinityrose posted. Works fine with the Beta version. Could it be another version with the Generate Image is coming out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. it was there and worked fine for me 2 nights ago. Tried again last nght and it was gone. Tried again today. Still gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm. Glad to know it's not just me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I just upgraded to is 25.9.0. The Beta version is listed as 25.10.0. If there's still another version to come out that might explain the missing Generate Image button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't really explain why it was there and worked two nights ago for
me and now it's gone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines