• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient Map problem when I do B&W conversions

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something seems to have changed in the way handles (Gradiant Map Tool) work in the latest versions of Photoshop. I use gradiant Map for black and white conversion and in my workflow, I add some handles using the ALT-Click key to clone a tonality on the gradient line and then I move those handles left or right to bring modifications. Now, whenever I click a freshly created handle wanting to drag it, its tonality changes automatically which I do not want.    

I've tried different key combinations but it changes the handle color everytime.  It is now useless for me! 

Any idea?  Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could post a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not split color stop handle, maybe that was some other function like Blending Options in Layer Style dialogue where you can split handle. The only ting to manipulate beside color and color stop position is "middpoint" between color stops.

manipulate middle point for gradient.jpg

Oooops, I misunderstand your question. From my testing  Alt dragging color stop is duplicating color stop as it use to. Dragging newly created color stop can affect image, of course because you are pushing middpoint, if I can understand your problem. Can you record short video to showcase problem or at least post some screenshot as already requested.

middpoint is changing.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Which version are you using? Ps 2023? (not the beta version with the new gradients, right?) 

A wild guess would be to reset the gradient tool, by selecting it, then right-clicking its icon in the toolbar, but it should not influence the gradient editor, but as things are sometimes interrelated, one never knows...)Right-click the tool icon in option bar to reset.Right-click the tool icon in option bar to reset.

You are talking about the Color Stops, not the Color Midpoints controls, right?

Does the method:Perceptual, etc. change something? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan,

Sorry I am not to use to forums and for some reason I didn't get your message.

I am talking about adding a new stop (ALT-click) underneath the gradient line. When I do that it works fine but the minute I click again on the same stop, the color (grey tonalitiy in my case) changes without me moving it? It wasn't doing that before. I don't seem to be able to find a solution?

The first picture belows shows the photo after adding the 2 middle stops. The second picture shows a change in the second stop tonality when I click on it. I didn't move it?  It's difficult to see on my exemple but it really changes. It is sometimes a lot worst.  Can you try and confirm if it also does that for you? I am using Photoshop 23.5.3 

Thanks

Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-22 à 20.29.01.pngCapture d’écran, le 2022-11-22 à 20.29.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 24.0.1 version at the moment and everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested it and yes, the way you describe is the way it works. Alt-dragging creates a new stop, but you have to click it once to "activate" it (for lack of a better term). Then the new gradient kicks in.

I actually have no idea if this is a bug or intended behavior. Both ways seem equally workable to me, and I wouldn't have any strong preferences one way or the other. If it changed I haven't even noticed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At my side Alt + drag creates sticky color stop which follows cursor, without clicking somewhere it is floating color stop which does not make any changes. So, you can not have docked color stop without affecting image, if you move cursor outside it won't place color stop, thats from my testing.

When clicking directly using mouse (without Alt) to create color stop everything works fine, it adds immediatelly docked color stop.

Bug can be describe as sticky duplicated color stop. In essence, when holding Alt it should duplicate stop. When Alt is released it should break connection to duplicate function but it does not, it seems.

Here is animation, when ALT dissapears from screen it means it was released on keyboard.

alt-drag.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we see the same thing. Sticky until you click it.

My thinking is that you still have to define the new values in the stop, so how it behaves in this initial step isn't so important to me. Setting the new values works by double-clicking as it always has, so that hasn't changed.

Bottom line, it may well be a bug, and if it disrupts muscle memory it should be fixed. For me personally this isn't a big deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just experienced Ps crash after playing sometime with Alt + dragging trying to recall how it worked. Perhaps releasing left mouse button should break connection between color stop and mouse and there is problem? After releasing left mouse button color stop remains sticky, that is unusual, I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we can see an extra stop right under the second one in the second image. 

I also feel that the stickyness is new and unwanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

D-Fosse,

Here's an exemple. The first image shows the original before ceating the stops and selecting linear mode. The second image shows the orginal after creating two stops (no change). The third image shows what happens when I click again on the middle left newly created stop.Capture d’écran, le 2022-11-29 à 20.12.34.pngCapture d’écran, le 2022-11-29 à 20.13.07.pngCapture d’écran, le 2022-11-29 à 20.13.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines