• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

gradient not working with gaussian blur

Advisor ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone tell me why the gradient is not working with my gaussian blur smart filter?  In screen shot 1 I have a smart object layer.  In screen shot 2 I am adding a gaussian blur filter.  In screen shot 3 I have drawn a linear gradient down to the bottom of the image but there is no change in the background from screen shot 2.  Why not?  Thanks.   

bartonlew_1-1700615211261.png

bartonlew_0-1700615142432.png

bartonlew_2-1700615304146.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

I had to reset Preferences recently and I'm wondering if a setting has changed that is the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't helpped us a whole lot with your screen shots because we can't see enough of the layers panel, so I am going to have to guess.

From what I can see, you have applied the Gaussian Blur to a layer filled with a solid colour.  A blur will make no difference to most of a solid colour layer.  Maybe just blur the outside edges.

As for the third screen shot, I don't have a clue. 

Have you applied it to a layer mask?

To a new layer?

What layers are above it in the layer stack?

What are the properties of the gradient?

So if you can show us a full res screen shot of the entire workspace showing the layers panel, the Properties panel with the gradient applied. And arrange the panels so that everything is visible, I am sure we'll then be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  here is the entire workspace.  I basically have 2 active layers - the column and the background.  I duped the background and made it a Smart Object.  I added a Gaussian Blur Smart Filter.  I drew a gradient but it's not working.  The 2nd screen shot (which was the 3rd screen shot in the first message) shows that I have selected the mask and the gradient I am applying.  Does that answer your first 2 questions?  I have done this many times (though not recently) so I know it can be done but I've obviously missed something.  You say I've applied a blur to a layer filled with a solid color.  I see an image - a column and its background - not a solid color.  What is the solid color layer you're talking about?

Thanks for your help.  

bartonlew_0-1700620236210.png

bartonlew_1-1700620625195.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What general effect or look at you trying to achieve?  If we better understand that, I bet we can make some solid recommendations.

It appears to me like you are trying to apply a gradient to a smart object, which you can't do without rasterizing it to become a standard layer first.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I want the base of the column to be in focus, and a progressive blur effect in the background.   You can't apply a gradient to a Smart Object?  In the imaeg below, the base of the column is in focus, but the background becomes blurry as you move up the image.  The background is a smart object with a blur gallery smart filter.  I'm sure I achieved this by applying a gradient.  But I can't remember exactly what I did or replicate it.  

bartonlew_0-1700621652907.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that applying the gradient to a layer mask instead of directly to the layer would achieve the effect you are going for.  That's how I would approach this at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I thought that's what I was doing.  In the screen shot below, there is a white box with a dark circle in it - just like the mask icon - where it says "Smart Filters."  I thought that was a mask and so I clicked on the Smart Filter and drew the gradient.  I guess that's wrong.  Where would you apply the mask in order to achive this effect?  Thanks.  

bartonlew_0-1700622994356.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screenshots, you have the layer itself selected that is converted into a smart object.  This is where I would create the layer mask to apply a gradient.

I believe this is going to achieve the effect you are hoping for, but there are quite a few layers there so I may have missed something and not realized it.  It should work though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit:  this method will work if you have the background layer further down in the layer panel also visible. 

Essentially two background layers, one as a smart object and with blur, and the other unaltered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  it's still not working.  Trevor.Dennis said I was applying a blur to a layer that was a solid color but I don't know what's he's talking about.  Perhaps that's the problem.  In the meantime, I give up.  Thanks for your help.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to check back in if you want to keep troubleshooting it.

After looking again at your initial screenshots, I agree with @Trevor.Dennis that it appears to be a solid color layer in the blur dialogue box.  But I don't see a solid color layer in the layers panel.

I wonder if there is a leftover selection that is in play here?  There are also quite a few layers in play, perhaps reducing some of them would be helpful?  It may help us spot something we are missing with a simplified layer panel.

It would also be helpful to see the details of the gradient tool you are using.

I hope something works out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to report that I believe the problem was due to my having recently reset Preferences.  In the "select and manage gradient presets" window at the top left of the screen, next to the box marked "Gradient" when you have the gradient tool selected, I was seeing canvas.  No matter what I did (clicking on the various options in the drop down) the selection there always showed canvas.   I think that's why when I drew the gradient there was no change.  After resetting all tools, when clicking the drop down menu, I was able to change the canvas to white to black (the first option).  I duped my background layer, made it a Smart Object, applied a blur filter, and drew the gradient and the base of the image is now in focus, with the blur increasing as the background recedes.   

bartonlew_0-1700697874399.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad you got it figured out!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to reset Preferences recently and I'm wondering if a setting has changed that is the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What overall impression or style are you aiming for? I think we can come up with some wise suggestions if we have a better understanding of that.

I believe you are attempting to apply a gradient to a smart object, which is not possible without first rasterizing the object to make it a standard layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines