Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand tool (spacebar) isn't working [2016]

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2016 May 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I got creative cloud with Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign etc.

But my hand tool shortcut with the spacebar isn't working

the hand does appear but when I try to move it gives no reaction

With the shortcut H it works.

I have already reinstalled everything, reset all my tools and reset my warning dialogs.

With my drawing tablet the shortcut also did work, until this morning. It stopped working.

Hope that someone got the answer for me this is pretty annoying I use the hand tool a lot.

Kind regards

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Are you saying that the hand tool space bar shortcut has stopped working for all the Adobe apps you mentioned, or just Photoshop?  If you are using a Mac, and have a Wacom tablet, then you should probably rule out the White Window fix.  We have certainly had posts where systems only had one or two of the symptoms associated with the issue, and the White Window plug-in fixed it.

Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS

My gut feeling is that it is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 155 Replies 155
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JeffHAmpersand​,

Thanks for posting that solution. MaritvanHelden​ and ssamanen​, can you take a look at your own systems and see if this solution might possibly help you with yours?

Let us know either way how it goes!

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  The issue has never recurred for me.  I have no anti-virus software, so that wasn't it for me.  It was definitely related to browser use for me, because quitting browsers solved the problem the one time it happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, great!

So it looks like it could either be an browser extension that causes this issue or anti-virus software. Hopefully, this will help MaritvanHelden​ narrow the down the problem.

Thanks to you both for your input!

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i encountered the same problem, but with safari, no extensions installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quitting browsers did not work for me. I don't even use Safari. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Webroot Antivirus was my issue. Shutting it down solved this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weroot elimination solved it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. 

If you are using Webroot, make sure "Pause Secure Keyboard Entry" is Checked.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 11.52.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the cause for me is Evoluent Mouse Manager. If I end that task, it works fine. It used to work fine before. I'm assuming it started when I upgraded to Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I emailed Evoluent support and they said:

If you’re on a laptop, it’s possible it’s related to the Windows 10 feature intended to prevent unwanted clicks on the touch pad while typing.  Check out the following link.  You want to set it to the minimum delay.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223404/how-to-stop-accidental-trackpad-clicks-in-windows-10-and-other-mouse...

I had to change it to No Delay (always on), but it did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the most up to date version of Photoshop CC on an iMac with a Wacom attached.  I have tried all the suggestions in this post and none of them work. I have stopped every process in the iMac one at a time to see which is causing the issue.....no happiness....

I did find that I can use gestures on my wireless mouse to move around on the image but the had tool will NOT come up when I press the spacebar.

I sure would like a solution for this Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey tigapa​,

Just to be clear, you have tried all of the below solutions mentioned in the thread above:

1. Resetting your preferences.
  2. Quitting any browsers that are open (if on Mac, actually making sure the app has been quit and not just closed).
  3. Checking if ANY browser extension in ANY of your browsers may be affecting the hand tool.
  4. Checking if the White-Window plug-in fix helps: Menus, shortcuts, Lasso tool, or Photoshop stop working when using a Wacom tablet | Mac OS
  5. Checking if your Anti-Virus software is affecting the tool.
  6. Ending any mouse manager tasks and restarting them.
  7. Setting the following setting to No Delay or the minimum delay setting in this article: http://www.howtogeek.com/223404/how-to-stop-accidental-trackpad-clicks-in-windows-10-and-o ther-mous...
  8. Uninstalling, using the CC Cleaner tool (recommended), and reinstalling the latest Lr version (2015.7).

If so, can you post your System Info here so the forums users can try to find what's occurring? (Help > System Info > Copy)

Also, just a reminder that the Adobe Forums are primarily a user-to-user forum. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...as I stated I tried everything on this thread.

I teach technology at the University of Tennessee and I have a couple of my grad students looking into the matter too....so far we have not been able to find anything to fix this problem. It'd be wonderful it Adobe would come up with a solution.

I agree that the problem is most likely not PS but some other object affecting the software from the outside. But we've not been able to repliclate the problem thus far...hoping that someone here might have faced the same issues.

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey tigapa​,

Thanks for the info. One question: Is it just occurring in Ps or does it happen in other apps as well?

Have you or your students come across this thread? Sounds similar: Spacebar Shortcut: Hand Tool Showing But Not Working

Let us know!

Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME PROBLEM! Across all Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with hand tool not working with the space bar in PS. I resolved it by pausing my webroot virus protection software, which was causing the problem. Thanks for pointing me to the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. Quick Tip - Hand Tool Not Working?  - w/ the adobe app open where you are having the problem, quit all web browsers. Boom. Hand tool should be back and working. You can then re-open the browsers. That worked for me and i have a bunch of extensions including 1password and anti virus running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heaps and heaps of gratitude for your helpful reply. It worked.

I'm running CC 2016, OS 10.11.6 (Capitan) and the space bar/command+space bar modifier keys were not responding as they *should* - no hand tool, no zoom. Quitting Safari then returning to the CC apps cured the problem. Relaunched Safari to comment on this thread - hand tool/zoom via modifier keys still good. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd been having the same issues as above and I found a solution for myself.  I had previously installed Webroot Antivirus and if I click the Pause Secure Keyboard Entry and it fixed my issue.  Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya'll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking for a solution for months... Never thought to check Webroot. Thanks so much:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! This was it for me! I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't figure it out. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too!

Just quit Safari, and the issue was gone.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me also! Running CC 2017 and Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2 

Thank you. This was driving me insane!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines