• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop.

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having mac users with issues working directly off of SMB and AFP share with photoshop. Using the latest photoshop 22.4.3 and mac os 11.4 with all m1 macbook pros with a supported Ethernet adapters or via wifi so the network is not really the issue. Also this error does not come up with windows 10 on the same nas and network. Getting a Could not complete request because of a disk error. So We have a Synology NAS with the latest firmware and SMB 3 /2 as well as AFP shares have been enabled. I have verified that the mac’s in question were all running on smb 2 / 3 or afp when the error occurred. It is also intermittent and does not seem to matter what protocol is running. The issue is the user will get a disk error trying to open some files sometimes off the nas directly. If the file is copied locally it works fine however. Verified it is not a permissions issue as the same files open sometimes. Are network share not supported to be used directly in photoshop ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this trouble. Very frustrating. Looks like it's been going on for years. What did all of you end up doing??

We have about 10 computers (older macs and a few pc's). And our 2 newly purchased Mac Mini M2 are the only ones giving us trouble staying connected to our Synology Nas. I've tried wifi and hardwired.

It disconnects when I try to save a file from Adobe Illustrator (which is the software I use everyday), or sometimes when I try to open a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It disconnects when I try to save a file from Adobe Illustrator (which is the software I use everyday), or sometimes when I try to open a file.

By @Rusty23213440pksy

Adobe does not support saving directly to or opening directly from a NAS due to the many configurations. See the link here (also posted earlier in this thread with a screenshot) for details.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

It's a best practice to use Adobe's recommended workflow.

Recommended Workflow

"Technical Support strongly recommends working in Photoshop directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then transfer them to the network or removable drive in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. To retrieve files, copy them in the Finder or in Windows Explorer from the network or removable drive to your hard disk. You can then open the files in Photoshop. This workflow avoids problems that occur when network system setups or removable media device drivers are incompatible with the operating system or Photoshop."

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just a lazy way out of saying "we know we can't code if our lives depended on it, so we'll tell you to change your 15-20 year old habit of doing things instead."

ABSOLUTELY Appaling way of treating customers. I've used NASes for over 15 years now, NEVER had a single problem before the introduction of these new M1-2-3 chips... so don't tell us to change our workflow, FIX THE DAMN bug in your code.

My 2 cents, getting annoyed with Adobe, Photoshop is crashgate, and when it crashes.
You want proof that Adobe programmers are incompetent?

Anything you import in your sessions, styles, brushes... name it... if the app crashes AFTER you've done that. These saves aren't kept. WHY? Why not save the state of your styles, brushes and other parameteres the MOMENT you import them?

You wanna know why? Cause they don't know what code is, even if it hit them in the face. Photoshop is based on 30yo code... it doesn't scale well to new advances like a ton of cores, simply cause at one point it should have been rewritten from scratch. But hey, that costs money, and dev that actually can code, so let's run instead off of code that wasn't all that stable to begin with 30 years ago, and keep making the app less and less reliable.

What else? Zoom tools will stop working randomly and turn to selection only. Keyboard shortcuts work randomly anyway, you bress B for brush, it highlights the brush visually, but the moment you click, you're back on your previous tool. It's HILARIOUS how buggy this app is, the more updates, the WORST it gets.

Just my 2 cents,
Do with them what you will, you always do anyway!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the original question was why this workflow was fuctioning flawlessly for years before the switch to the Apple Silicon architecture and then it was broken. Perhaps Apples SMB implementation for the M1 ist different to  one for Intel or it was faulty. Adobe recommends only to work on local drives and thus braking many collaborative workflows.

We eventually got this to work all right with our Synology Rackstation. After updating to DSM 7.2 we ended up tweaking  the SMB settings to slower and more robust parameters, also we disabled AFP in the DSM. This and a few recent updates to Phtoshop and Bridge must have done the trick. Now we have no more crashes for this particular problem ... only  the regular ones where you have to turn off GPU acceleration and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@IngmarHansen Would be really interested in your settings. My office has just "upgraded" to Apple M3 machines from Intels and we're having a whole host of issues saving, using quicklook on our Synology DiskStation. Just wondering if I made the same changes we might alleviate the issues. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnt71748579 the issue most likely is the interface from Sonoma to the Synology. Are the drives formatted Mac OS Journaled or ExFat? If ExFat they will experience issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kevin stohlmeyer I'm not in the office at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they're NTFS. 

After doing som reading earlier, we've got AFP and SMB enabled on the NAS, but I think the computer is connecting via AFP. Thinking of trying to disable AFP and connecting via SMB to see if that helps. I've never needed to change these settings before, so don't really know what I'm doing.

The problem seems to be attempting to "quicklook" anything that's recently been created using any of the CC apps. The thing is, I always do this before sending a PDF/JPG/GIF etc to a client before I email it. It's second nature, so every time since upgrading I'm instigating a massive crash. ie Software hangs, finder hangs, software crashes, server ejects & have to force a restart. 

It's a massive problem, we've always worked collaberatively using Adobe Software, on Macs using a Synology NAS.

We did use Creative Cloud synced files during lockdown, which was a great alternative, but that's obviously gone now. I wish we could find an alternative to that as a potential solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW @johnt71748579 we're connected to servers via afp and while it does cut down on the issues, Mac OS Sonoma (and basically every iteration since Big Sur) have caused issues with the Finder being too agressive with read/write permissions. We've disabled previews in column views and dissuade users from using Quick Look. A great test to try is Quick Look, then disconnect from the NAS, restart your Mac then try again. See if it works after the Finder connection is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer Funny you should say that, but as soon as I noticed this, I started my usual proceedure of opening some artwork in indesign, exporting as a pdf then quicklooking it. Works fine locally, as soon as I do it on the NAS it goes through the meltdown procedure I mentioned. Once I've restarted and gone back to the NAS I'm able to qucklook the file. I'll try SMB when I'm back in the office, though dont hold out much hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I checked our settings today since it's been a while since we solved this. These are our "advanced" SMB settings in the SMB panel, AFP is not enabled. (AFP has been discontinued by Apple since Big Sur) All Macs are running Sonoma. 

WINS server: -

Maximum SMB protocol: SMB3

Minimum SMB protocol: SMB2

SMB range: SMB2,SMB2 and Large MTU, SMB3

Transport encryption mode: Client defined

Enable server signing: Force

:ballot_box_with_check: Enable opportunistic locking

:ballot_box_with_check: Enable SMB2 lease

Also we have disabled Preview in the Finder (CMD-Shift-P) for faster navigation on the share folders, Quicklook still works. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @IngmarHansen ! Some of the options are missing for me, but I think that we're on different synology systems. Tried this, and it wouldn't work to begin with, then the drive alerted me that it need to change a couple of firewall settings and then it worked! I think it's a bit slower for us that AFP, but the main thing is that it's working!

One curious thing is that a handful of the directories have been renamed, to things like K1N51D~P, but I can rename those.

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll report back after I've used this for a few days in case anyone else would find it useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up, and this was hard for me to do, returning to Winblows... no issues with Samba share since... proving ONCE and FOR ALL, that Adobe simply doesn't want to allocate ressources of fixing this issue with Apple new silicon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines