• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble with hand tool and marquee tool.

Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rectengular marquee tool is not selecting the area I want. The selection snaps to a different place instead.

I like to use hand tool via space bar but lately, every time I do it, it also snaps to a different place and eventually the preview crashes. I can still save (thank god) but I have to close the file and reopen it to work on it.

The video demonstrates both of these problems. I don't know whats causing it and how to fix it.

Please help me.

I have updated my photoshop cc to the latest version, Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.1

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Hi did you tried to reset preferences of Photoshop and check?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi did you tried to reset preferences of Photoshop and check?

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it! Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helped a lot! Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preference didn't work for me. Problem keeps happening even in different PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happened to me. I have to restart Photoshop every time. I reset my preferences and it fixed it for a few hours but then it started happening again 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences does not work for me, after having Photoshop open for some times the problem is back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. I've reset my preferences already but it's the same as if i were to restart the program; it'll be fixed for a random amount of time and then show back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you on Pc/Mac, is it on PS 21.1.3? is it with a tablet, or a mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I'm using a desktop PC connected to a Wacom Cintiq display.

Switching off the graphics card in preferences does seem to fix the problem but then doing so also reduces many of the touch functions of the Wacom display (pinch to zoom, rotate etc) so not ideal. Currently just having to put up with the problem and having to close and reopen the file everytime the problems start. I do need to test if problem continues if I am just using a standard monitor instead of the Wacom to identify if the touch display itself or not to blame.

Its a brand new machine, with only office and Adobe installed with 16Gb ram, intel i5 and  Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 graphics card. Windows 10, latest update, drivers latest update, Photoshop CC latest update.

Issues appear at random. Doesn't appear to be triggered by any particular task and doesn't particlarly seem to be triggered by usign the touch screen. It has occured when I've just been working with the mouse albeit each time I have been connected to the Wacom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences didn't work at all, it's also a workaround, not a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOT SOLVED 

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just been alerted that this comment has been marked as the "Correct Answer", just wanted to highlight to anyone else stumbling across this thread and suffering from this issue that it is not.

At the moment only closing down and restarting Photoshop fixes it. (Even then only temporarily)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.0.3 is the latest version without the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can confirm that fixes the issue... temporarily.

its best to install 21.0.3 for the most stable version for uninterupted work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I downgraded to 21.0.3 and it seems to work just fine for now.
Note for the people like me who aren't informatic geniuses : be sure to copy-paste your photoshop preferences folder elsewhere ( users>appdata>roaming>adobe>adobe photoshop 2020>adobe photoshop 2020 settings) before installing the older version, because the installation will reset all your preferences.

(if you copy-paste the folder before, you just have to paste it back in place after the new installation and you'll find all your settings back)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is doing the same thing for me. No luck fixing it. I can't believe how frustrating this is. I'm thankful I don't crash and lose my work, but i can't stand restarting Photoshop everytime I absent-mindedly repeat the process that breaks everything.  It just breaks the cursor position, and I can't scroll with the hand tool any more. After it happens if using the lasso or brushes the cursor snaps outside the view and draws lines to wherever i clicked on the page... sometimes all kinds of crazy lines.

Another thing that keeps happening... keystrokes and hotkeys just stop working all together, also requiring me to restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I should make a new thread or not but I'm having the exact same trouble. It has happened in 3 different PCs (with totally diferent specs) and resetting the preferences doesn't help. I have to restart PS each time. Anyone knows the exact reason of this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think lots of the times it happens is after I merge down a layer, btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issues here too. The only way to fix is to shut down Photoshop and reopen. Can't see a pattern to what is causing it. Sometimes, it works find for an hour or so, other times it happens within minutes of reopening.

Doesn't seem to be triggered by any particular kind of image or by any paricular tool.

Resetting the preferences doesn't make a difference. Shutdown and reopen is the only thing that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue, and it happens with the lazo tool aswell, i will try to reset the preferences, because after rsimply restarting the software the problem fix itself however, it keeps happening after a while, preferences have not been touched since years in my Photoshop and this sort of bug always happens after an update, we would like to HAVE a fix, not being told a workaround as it happens pretty much every time with adobe products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also causes the layer stack to lag, i noticed this happens and i check the marquee tool the marquee is also broken, so it looks like input lag of both mouse, keyboard and tablet, that causes photoshop to not understand how to process the inputs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is it on a Mac? Pc? which build of your OS?

Is it on Ps 21.1.3?

You said that you noticed it also with mouse and KB? using the arrow keys, for instance?

Could you record a video capture when that happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a windows 10 machine 32GB of RAM, Ryzen 5 2400G, NVIDIA 1070Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have not tried to video capture it, I will try, I haven't been using PS much since it's impossible to work having to reopen the file every hour.
I'm straight up looking for alternatives, will stop using PS as soon as I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines