• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Healing Brush Tool not working

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use the Healing Brush to create a smooth transition between the 2 areas within the red rectangle.  (screen shot 1).

I made a new layer at the top of the stack.  Then I clicked inside the the upper portion of the section which is grainier and dragged down into the smoother lower part.  When I did not have Aligned checked I could see that it was bringing pixels down but they were the same pixels.  See screen shot 2.

Then I checked Aligned but when dragging down there is no change to the image whatsoever.  (screen shot 3.)  This may be hard to see, but I can see as I am painting that nothing is changing here.  

My intention was to apply a gradient to a new layer mask on the layer where I am using the Healing Brush so there would be a smooth transition betweeen the grainier and smoother areas.  Why is the Healing Brush not working when I have Aligned checked?  Thank you.    

Barton5C39_1-1721269213918.png

Barton5C39_2-1721269668230.png

Barton5C39_3-1721269796293.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

That seems to be about the content of the lower layer at the exact same position. 

Where did you sample? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Sample: dropdown list, make sure that "Current & Below" is selected.

sample for healing brush.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I did have that selected.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible and the Tool in question selected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.  The 1st screen shot below shows the bottom of the stack.  I've turned off all layers except the layer where the content at issue is appearing and the topmost layer of the stack, where I'm painting.  That layer (along with the rest of the stack) can be seen in the 2d screen shot.  There are a few layers in the middle missing but it shouldn't matter because - again - all layers are turned off except the 2.  I tried to use the Spot Healing Brush - and nothing happens when I paint from the upper area (grainy) to the lower one (smooth).  Thanks for your help.

Barton5C39_0-1721348029711.png

Barton5C39_1-1721348086251.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there possibly an active Selection? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, if by that you mean a marching ants selection currently loaded.  But I tried something:  I created the added layer (onto which I want to apply the Healing Brush effects) afresh at the top of the stack and turned it and the layer containing the original content on as the only visible layers - and I used the Healing Brush to paint from the grainy area down into the smooth area.  Still no results showing from this action.  But when I then turned off the original layer I could see the results on the added layer.  Since there aren't any other intervening layers visisble this didn't make sense.   I moved the added layer down to immediately above the content layer and again, no luck seeing its results unless I turned off the original layer.  What could be obscuring the Healing Brush results?  The 2 screen shots show both layers turned on, then only the added layer turned on.  Thanks. 

Barton5C39_0-1721406856840.pngBarton5C39_1-1721406876083.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be about the content of the lower layer at the exact same position. 

Where did you sample? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2024 Jul 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right.  I never use this tool and I was thinking of it in terms of Frequency Separation, where you drag information from a point and it blends with the adjacent area, more or less.  But I realize I misunderstood this tool.  It's going to clone the source pixels to the target pixels, and blend them each time you release the mouse or you can apply a Layer Mask and Gradient to the added layer to create a smooth transition.  I did the latter, and it gacv me results I am happy with (before and after screen shots below).  Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Barton5C39_2-1721520695942.png

Barton5C39_3-1721520780779.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines