Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with color fringing in hair after masking

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drew-colins-LIEQsu5JuoM-unsplash.jpgdrew-colins-LIEQsu5JuoM-unsplash copy.png

Hi, I am trying to remove color fringing from the hair in the photo above. The original is the left and on the right is my attempted cutout of the subject. After masking

and using overlay mode on the brush on the layer mask, the color fringing from background reappears and I haven't exactly found a complete solution to this problem. No luck with clipping mask or hue and saturation mask either. Any suggestions or ideas is greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Hi,

Try this:

1. Add a new layer above your masked person layer.

2. Clip the new layer to the masked person layer below and change the blend mode of that new layer to color.

3. Now get a soft brush and work around the edges Alt clicking to pick up color from the solid area of the person as you go and painting that colour up to the edges (you will need to repeat that to change the colour as you work around the edges).

The idea is to paint  those fringe edges to the main colour of the person w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using Select and Mask controls to edit the mask? Specifically under Output there is a decontaminate colors option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin, yes, I've tried decontaminate colors but that doesn't work either. I've tried the default 50%, 75% , and 100% for decontaminate colors.

The background color just reappears whenever I try to recover the hair in the layer mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try this:

1. Add a new layer above your masked person layer.

2. Clip the new layer to the masked person layer below and change the blend mode of that new layer to color.

3. Now get a soft brush and work around the edges Alt clicking to pick up color from the solid area of the person as you go and painting that colour up to the edges (you will need to repeat that to change the colour as you work around the edges).

The idea is to paint  those fringe edges to the main colour of the person without altering the luminosity. That should remove the colour fringe whilst retaining the natural brightness, and by clipping you will avoid painting outside the fringe.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's the right solution and what I'm asking to add here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/decontaminate-colors-option-as-a-clipped-la...

why should we still do it manually?! and nobody even voted 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines