• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Helvetica fonts not working in photoshop 23.1.1

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac and just upgraded my system to Monterey 12.2 - which led to my Photoshop needing to be updated as well. So I upgraded to Photoshop 23.1.1 - the latest update as of 2/15/22. Now I see my Adobe Helvetica Neue fonts are not working correctly - I'm only getting one limited set (the non-numbered version - Ultra light, Light, Thin, etc...). The condensed version, the extended version, and other numbered versions (55 Roman, 65 Medium, etc...) are no longer working. They are all still working perfectly in my InDesign and Illustrator programs which I have not yet updated. This is a serious issue as I have literally thousands of files that use these fonts in InDesign (I work in publishing - ads, magazines, artwork - all kinds of files using this basic font family). I am now in a position where I would be afraid to update Illustrator or InDesign and standard everyday files I have in Photoshop apparently will have to be rebuilt if I can't get this Adobe font to work in this Adobe program(!) I tried turning the fonts off and on again, restarting Photoshop and my computer - nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any idea why they would not be working? InDesign and Illustrator have all the fonts in the correct groupings and all work absolutely fine with no issues. 

I'm a long time graphic designer (30+ yrs) who worked in high end graphics production for years. I understand how fonts work and know the fonts are not damaged, incomplete or have any other issues. They work in all my other Adobe and non-Adobe programs. They display, print, embed and pdf correctly. The problem seems to be limited to Photoshop only.

Some facts that might help...

Macbook Pro - 15 inch, 2017 - 3.1 Ghz Quad core Intel Core i7

Mac OSX Monterey 12.2

Photoshop 23.1.1

Illustrator 24.1

InDesign 13.1

Suitcase 19.0.5 (font management)

See the attached graphic to better understand how the fonts are showing up in each of the 3 programs. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Photoshop ecosystem forum from Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font type are the missing fonts? (TrueType, Opentype, or Type 1?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I can see they are type 1 (middle screen shot) Type 1 support is being phased out. With Photoshop already, with other apps very soon.  Read this: https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I would expand on this in regards to what I think about Adobe's latest in a long history of user UN-friendly moves but the rules say be kind and respectful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow-up question...

Is there anyway I can revert back to my previous version of Photoshop? Thanks for your help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines