• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I do straight diagonal lines in photoshop 7

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this features is on a programas like painshop and similars, but I can't find it on photoshop, I want to do geometrical shapes using the pencil tool with soft edges anybody has an idea how I can do that? my goal is to have perimeters like on this photo: perimeters.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t remember if Photoshop 7 had Vector Masks or Solid Color Layers …

You could just create the Paths, make a Selection from that and apply the appropriate Feather.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 7 does have vector masks and solid color fill layers, much the same as photoshop cs5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of points I'll add...

If you turn on the grid (and snap-to-grid) you can easily create 45° lines (and other angles) with either Pen tool or one of the drawing tools.

Touching down at the start of your line, and Shift touching down at the other end, will produce a straight line between the two points. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor this method worked for me. However, I'd like to draw jagged diagonal lines (like lightning bolt). The pen tool gives me smooth rounded lines only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen tool gives me smooth rounded lines only.

Please elaborate and post screenshots.

Are you talking about the anti aliasing or are you incapable of creating draw corner points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks CP for your reply.  I'm not too experienced in PS and your "creating draw corner points" went over my head.  In the attached screenshot, the first is a straight pen stroke, which gives rounded edges.  The second I created the path, closed it, then filled it.  For the sake of saving time, I wanted to know if I can have the sharp clean edges or corners of the lightning bolt just by stroking the pen path. Thank you for your help.

pen fill.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First off the task would be better fit to Illustrator.

illustratorWidthTool.jpg

In Photoshop a Shape Layer Stroke can have sharp corners but currently the width is fixed for the whole length.

shapeLayerStrokeCorners.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if it also had Layer Style > Stroke that might be an option to keep editable Paths (though the corners might be a problem).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lineTestScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ddr3500 wrote:

... the pencil tool with soft edges ...

Diagonals created with the Pencil Tool have stairstepped aliased edges.

Use the Brush Tool for smooth antialiased edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll suggest also drawing paths, using the Pen tool, then you can Stroke the path.  If you don't like the width, color, texture or whatever, you can go back and Stroke it again with different brush parameters.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines