• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make a GIF quickly that will crossfade smoothly?

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old way of making a simple GIF that fades into each frame was to make the first frame like a normal photo, and the next frame with the 1st image at 90% opacity and the 2nd image at 10%, then the next frame be 80% on the 1st and 20% on the 2nd and keep going until I have a frame for each (30 frames or more). Then I would put them together as a GIF by File > Scripts > Load files into stack.

This takes too long and the fade is not at all smooth like it is when I use ezgif.com plus this site only requires 2 or 3 frames total, but this site makes the file too large. How can I make a super smooth fade in PS with very few frames?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

I would suggest then that you download that gif and edit it in Photoshop. See what their frame size is and how many frames are in their animation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a super smooth gif with three layers but with 2 or 3 frames. With either a Frame Animation and  tween and opacity or a Video animation  and animating the opacity.  The more frames you created the smoother it will be.

Capture.jpg

Man-and-Woman.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get it done with the Tweening option however I am running into two other problems with it now.

1. The file now comes out to be 15mb, and it needs to be below 300kb

2. The image doesn't look as good as it did using the website.

This image is from that site and is what I want it to look like

Imgur

This is what I got when I used tweening. The images fade out and make it dull while it is transitioning to the next full image

Imgur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest then that you download that gif and edit it in Photoshop. See what their frame size is and how many frames are in their animation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't help me figure out why there was such a huge difference, but I decided to save it to my computer from PS (after only looking at it) and somehow it lowered the size to 270kb while still keeping the same quality.

I don't understand this program but, at least it worked somehow so, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use tweeining.  See link below.

Create frame animations in Photoshop

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2024 here! You can use interpolation through AI to smooth out the frames for you. I suggest trying that in the future and see if you like the result

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines