• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How could I change this splatter from white to a different colour?

Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I currently have an area I added with a splatter brush that's white, and I want to add a bit of an orange tint to it. The blend layers aren't really doing the job, and obviously, adding a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer has no effect to the white. I have tried selecting the area with the Lasso tool and adding a Solid Colour, but that just fills in the entire selection. Similarly, I can't select the content of the layer to make a mask from it as it says there aren't enough pixels.

Photoshop_Cv7lqUUKxf.png

Apart from adding the splatter with a different coloured brush, is there any quick trick that will allow me to change the white?

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

If the splatter is a Layer of its own the Layer Style »Color Overlay« might suffice. 

If the splatter has been merged with the background I would recommend determining the channel with the best separation, then using Blend if-settings and a Color Overlay Layer Style on a Group. (And a Layer Mask.) 

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 17.48.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the brush application on a Layer of its own? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Edit: »Similarly, I can't select the content of the layer to make a mask from it as it says there aren't enough pixels.«

What exactly is the warning and what is its relevance? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the brush strokes were done on a separate layer. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact brush I used as I have a LOT of them. ^^;

Photoshop_9Ls7Tt5RQd.png

And the warning comes up if I hold Ctrl and try to click on the layer to make a selection of it for a mask.

Photoshop_P21qq5dVli.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That warning is not really relevant, it just means that the Selection would not produce »marching ants«, it could still be used as a Layer Mask for example. 

If an object is on a Layer of its own it is more efficient to Clipping Mask Adjustment Layers to that Layer instead of giving the Adjustment Layers Masks to affect those objects. 

Edit: 

Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 08.37.03.pngScreenshot 2021-09-01 at 08.37.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, like I mentioned in my first post, I tried that. But because the colour was white, a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer had no effect, even clipping it to the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the splatter is a Layer of its own the Layer Style »Color Overlay« might suffice. 

If the splatter has been merged with the background I would recommend determining the channel with the best separation, then using Blend if-settings and a Color Overlay Layer Style on a Group. (And a Layer Mask.) 

Screenshot 2021-08-31 at 17.48.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. The Layer Style/Colour Overlay works perfectly. Thank you. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines