• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable the new 'Save as a copy' feature in 22.4.1?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this bizarre new addition was ever added. I just want to be able to save my files in any format without having to go through multiple extra clicks. It's adding a heap of extra time to my workday.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

In the year that has passed since this thread was last active, Adobe added a preference checkbox for "legacy save as".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why this bizarre new addition was ever added.

It's all explained here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

It's an Adobe workaround due to a change introduced by Apple to the operating system dialogue box.

I don't know any way of disabling it. It's a few extra steps we're all going to have to get used to until Adobe can come up with something better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. Call me crazy but you'd think a developer like Adobe could find a workaround for this. Surely Apple removing the API isnt the be all and end all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to talk to the Adobe engineers to get a more definitive reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's the Apple API.  The Open and Save dialog boxes can't go against what the OS allows for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a few extra steps we're all going to have to get used to until Adobe can come up with something better.

Or one can just use Scripts to save the copies (if there is a limited number of formats and settings one uses regularly at least). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough but I am using Photoshop on a Windows machine - why should an issue with Apple's operating system affect the way I am using Photoshop... so infuriating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the year that has passed since this thread was last active, Adobe added a preference checkbox for "legacy save as".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to be able to save my files in any format without having to go through multiple extra clicks. 

What multiple extra clicks are you talking about specifically? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old Photoshop: 
Ctrl+Shft+S, (Click) to change file type to save, Type Name, Enter.
1 Click total, maybe two.
New Photoshop: 
Ctrl+Shft+S, Want to Save to Creative Cloud? No, (Click) "On your computer", (Click) to select file type, oh wait, normal JPEG format isn't selectable only JPEG2000, (Click), where hte hell is it, (Click Click), go back to Save Copy As instead of Save Copy, (Click), Want to Save to Creative Cloud, no, (Click) "On your computer", (Click) finally theres my normal JPEG file type good grief. 
Minimum 6 clicks. 

Sometimes it's almost as if you and I are using two totally different programs lol, surely somebody at Adobe would've thought PC side doesn't need this legacy disabled but guess not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a button to click where you used to click a pop-up menu.  To avoid this, use File > Save a Copy from now on and it's as it was when you were using File > Save As.  You may have noticed that when using Save As that "Save a Copy" was checked automatically in the prior Save As dialog box.  

The best practice for saving a PNG or JPEG is File > Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save a Copy is basically previous Photoshop versions Save As  but it may add " copy" and is the only way Photoshop cans save some Image File formats.  The support for DCS EPS, Photoshop PDF and Photoshop RAW are no longer in Save As.  So you should  disable Save a Copy.   However you do not have to use Save a Copy to save a flat Image File format from a Layered document.  You can use and action or script  to do the save as. 

Photoshop installs some scripts that can save image file types that Adobe feels users would want to save like Export Layer to Files, Export Layers Comps to files. Not all Image File types are supported however 8 image file formats are.   Since all the code to do the saveFile exits in these scripts.  I reused the code in Export Layer to Files to create a script "Save As"  to use instead of Photoshop  menu Files>Save As... .   I can use menu File>Scripts>Save As...  even set shortcut Shift+Ctrl+S to File>Scripts>Save As...

image.png

macOS 11 may get in the way on a mac but I use a PC....

ChangesSaveAs.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure why no one has updated this, but you can now select "Enable Legacy 'save as'" in the preferences>file handling menu. LIFE SAVER and about [Profanity removed by moderator] time, that was annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be on by default.  The fact that no one would ever want to have to click that "Save a copy" button everytime they want to save a file, means it should be on by default - even if just for PC users.  
I had to search and search before finding this thread to discover how to shut it off.  Extremely poor user experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This stupidity is a pain on our side too! I just complained moments ago too! It seems that the official Adobe help team hide behind the volunteers lol, they let volunteers answer theyr own product question lol what a shame!

Adobe is the only one i think that doesnt provide paid customers with proper support... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been explained to you several times that this change was forced by Apple. Blame them.

To sum up what this change is about, any file format that does not support all current properties of the file, is now moved to Save A Copy by default.

If the file already satisfies the jpeg specification, direct Save to jpeg will be available.

You can revert to the old behavior in Preferences. This is a workaround that was developed later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine but you seem to think universal changes have to applied to both Mac and Windows users, on Windows the legacy could've been checked on by default and not wasted 50% of our time lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There seem to be strong opinions about how software should be developed by people (AFAIK) having no experience developing software. 

But the correct answer still exists for anyone who doesn't yet know how to operate the preferences for a Legacy Save. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bimal5CDF wrote:

Thank you! This stupidity is a pain on our side too! I just complained moments ago too! It seems that the official Adobe help team hide behind the volunteers lol, they let volunteers answer theyr own product question lol what a shame!

Adobe is the only one i think that doesnt provide paid customers with proper support... 

You are confused so let's get you straightened out on how things work here. 

From Adobe (community forums):
"Currently, the community on community.adobe.com is used as a destination for customers to ask questions and engage in peer-to-peer conversations. IOW, this is a user to user support forum. The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content".

If you have problems or need answers from other users who volunteer their time to help, do so in a discussion topic and message body, whereby you post specifics (what's the problem or issue, or the question) and provide some information about your operating system, version of the software you're asking about and steps to illustrate your problem.

If you want Adobe to be viewing what you post, there are two ways based on what you are hoping to report:

If you wish to report what you believe is a bug, you so by following these guidelines:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idc-p/12932310#M...

If you wish to provide a feature request, you do so by following these guidelines (then make a request in the product forum):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a short video about it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when i made some changes and try to close the document and save it, it dosen't work. I still don't have the jpg option. What i need to check for this option? I have the version 24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you scroll three posts up, that's still the answer.

You made changes that the jpeg file format specification does not allow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enable Legacy 'save as'" like i said this does not work when you close a document to save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 years from now Adobe devs will be so bored and make-work deficient they'll disable hot keys completely to make things "cleaner" and more "cloud freindly" lmao. The concept of efficiency seems to be lost on this generation of devs when budgets are smaller, deadlines shorter than ever before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines