Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i disable the rotate view tool?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2010 Mar 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using photoshop cs4 on a mac.

the rotate view tool and hand tool keeps rotating my canvas of its own acord. is there anyway to disable these tools since i have no need of them.

grateful for any help, thankyou

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Hi Carla,

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4337

Keep you from reading thru all the water under the bridge. 😉

Regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could turn off OpenGL in Preferences – Performance, but You would lose all other OpenGL-capabilities, too.

It seems peculiar that the Tool should operate without input … could the R-key be stuck on Your keyboard or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come to think of it, You could under Edit – Keyboard Shortcuts – Shortcuts for: Tools try removing the single-key shortcut from the Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the rotate view tool and hand tool keeps rotating my canvas of its own acord.

It will not do this of its own accord. Chances are you are accidentally pressing the R jey. Best solution is to change your keyboard shortcut to take the R key away from Rotate View.

Disabing Open GL, although its of course possible, will also disable all Open GL features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2010 Mar 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thankyou for the replies but it isnt the R key.

It seems to be something to do with the mouse pad. when I move the cursor across the screen, every so often it seems to activate the rotate tool. can I disable that function at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In System Preferences – Keyboard & Mouse – Mouse what are the settings for the various buttons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that You are actually using a multi-touch track-pad on a laptop-computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I am, is it possible to stop the trackpad from activating the tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your previous mention of a »mouse pad« was a diversion then … and it would seem You touch the pad with more than one finger probably.

Working in Photoshop with a track-pad seems rather less than optimal, You might want to look into a tablet (or at least a mouse).

I have no experience with those multi-touch track-pads, but I vaguely remember that for some time there were complaints about something concerning them – I can’t remember if that was solved with an update or whatever; a forum search may turn up something …

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1534415#153441

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carla,

Keep you from reading thru all the water under the bridge. 😉

Regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2010 Mar 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKYOU!!!! thankyou so much, that tool was driving me mad!

Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:23:52 -0700

To: venom-ink@hotmail.co.uk

Subject: how do i disable the rotate view tool?

Hi Carla,

Keep you from reading thru all the water under the bridge.

Regards,

steve

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could also be the keyboard shortcut OPT+F13.  When I fill an object with OPTION+DELETE I sometimes hit that keyboard shortcut instead and accidentally rotate the view.  I am looking for a way to disable the option+F13 shortcut, any ideas?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Take a look in Window> Workspace> Keyboard Shortcuts and Menus...

Click the Keyboard Shortcuts tab and then on the right side click the Summarize... button. Look thru the resulting page for where Opt+F13 shows up. I don't think that one is assigned in the factory defaults. It sounds like you have an action assigned to it, or the default 'R' for that tool was reassigned.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a Mac lap top, you are most likely rotating when your index finger and thumb are both on the mouse pad.  This causes it to rotate accidentally. Just rotate it back - making your thumb and index finger like a "c"  and twist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brimful,

You're replying to a sixteen (16) month old post… 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2011 Jul 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just to add, since this old nut has been cracked open, ESC is the quickest way to undo a canvas rotate. The earlier posts in this thread also were pertinent to Ps CS4.

In Ps CS5, we added a preference option to enable/disable the multi-touch gestures. There's no longer a need to download and install a plug-in to disable.

multitouch.png

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This doesn't work.  There is still a bug in the alt+scroll wheel with PCs.  It rotates clockwise only.  randomly.   Try those combinations in using fast and erratic behavior and you'll see it happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines