• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get Helvetica font in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get Helvetica font in Photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Hi Steves,

Adobe does not bundle any version of Helvetica with any applications. Nor is it available via TypeKit.You can find the alternative for Helvitica from Adobe Typekit.

Photoshop uses the operating system fonts. Windows does not have Helvetica, Mac OSX does. Therefore it will show up in the Mac version of Photoshop.You might have used it as well.

You have to purchase it separately and install it yourself in Windows or get a Mac.

Refer How do I get "Helvetica" fonts for free when I use indesig

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steves,

Adobe does not bundle any version of Helvetica with any applications. Nor is it available via TypeKit.You can find the alternative for Helvitica from Adobe Typekit.

Photoshop uses the operating system fonts. Windows does not have Helvetica, Mac OSX does. Therefore it will show up in the Mac version of Photoshop.You might have used it as well.

You have to purchase it separately and install it yourself in Windows or get a Mac.

Refer How do I get "Helvetica" fonts for free when I use indesign by the creative cloud?

Regards

Sarika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarika,

We have 2 systems with same os 8.1 and we have licenced versions of windows os as well as Photoshop 2017

We have installed same Helvetica fonts on both the systems but we face font missing issue when we transfer files from one system to another.

Please help us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It needs to be installed on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to what you have already been told, you might like to check the Wikipedia entry for Helvetica

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica

It has pretty much become a font class nowadays, but there are sans serif fonts in Photoshop that will do the trick.  I was excited when TypeKit was introduced, but later became disillusioned when I realised how many useful fonts were no longer available with CC.  Bickham Script Pro, for instance, is a font used by one of my wine producing clients, so I was not impressed when that disappeared after CS6.  Getting back to your question, Photoshop used to have a range of Swiss type faces that could have been used for the sort of banner headline applications Helvetica is associated with, but that has also gone.  I went as far as emailing the TypeKit team about it a while back, and was fobbed off with a meaningless reply.

If you have a pre CC version of CS6 installed, then you will have the old fonts.  In my case I had CS6 installed on my laptop, so was able to copy and transfer the font files to my desktop.  It still annoyed me deeply that I had to go to that much trouble!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many free font sites out there where you can download fonts for free.....mac or pc. If you are using a Mac it might be wise to use a font manager. Then you can turn your fonts on and off as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the Alternative called then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arial is the most favoured alternative. Nine out of ten cats can’t tell the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol. I went with Acumin Black but only because it most closely matched the logo I had to reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still a bad ripoff. Helvetica is a classic for good reason. Helvetica top, Arial bottom - and I probably didn't even have to point that out. The difference is obvious:

helvetica1.png

The problem with Helvetica is that it comes from many sources, so unless you have the exact same font file installed, you'll get "missing font". Of course, if that's what you have I can't explain the message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time we were asked about Helvetica, I did some investigating, and came away no better off than before I started. Wikipedia's Helvetica  page on the font is remarkably light on graphic content.

Are the differences in these two lower case letter 'a' due to one being light and the other bold?

The same thing is true here.  The ultra light through to regular have the tail, but it disappears  from bold through to black.

This graphic puts forward Arial as an alternative.  I would say Arial is my most used font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

The last time we were asked about Helvetica, I did some investigating, and came away no better off than before I started. Wikipedia's Helvetica  page on the font is remarkably light on graphic content.

I would say Arial is my most used font.

Trevor, compare the G and the R in your Helvetica and Arial examples. They look nothing alike!

and then look at the a and the r and the t in your next example. Not even close! The e is close, but the second is wider.

When I started in this business, fonts were hard-wired into the printer. My first PostScript printer also came with a card that went in the computer. There were 13 Adobe Postscript fonts, and if you wanted more they had to be purchased. But if you used one of the 13, you were paying for an exact match with what the print shop had. So 2K for the printer and another 2K for the Postscript boards.

Helvetica was one of the 13 Adobe PostScript fonts.

Arial did not come out until TrueType, many years later. It is a spin-off, a knock-off, an imitation of the very good PostScript Helvetica for people unwilling to pay for the original. The same goes for Times New Roman (TT), being an imitation of the PostScript font Times. That's why I refuse to use Arial and Times New Roman, and was glad when even Microsoft stopped using them and came up with Calibri and Cambria. I would not use those for professional printing, but I use them in Office documents, as I know most people will have them and it won't change on another computer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial

Helvetica and Helvetica Neue are not the same! This site shows the difference:

https://creativepro.com/typetalk-helvetica-vs-neue-helvetica/

Helvetica vs. Arial here:

https://creativepro.com/helvetica-vs-arial-difference/

Did you watch the awesome movie Helvetica?

https://www.amazon.com/Helvetica-David-Carson/dp/B079N3Y4C6

If not, then at least meet the cast!

Cheers,

Jane

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/6c/7b/566c7b3dcc318c7434919da0b5c3c22d.jpg

This site about Adobe Postscript fonts may help to further your research:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_fonts

About the time of CS3, Adobe finished converting their fonts to OpenType. OT was a joint venture with MS, but Adobe OT fonts have more features.

https://www.adobe.com/products/type/opentype.html

What else do you want to know about fonts?

Oh, one more, just as ppi and dpi get interchanged wrongly, people misuse the word font. A font is one typeface, one type style, and one type size, so 12 pt Helvetica Bold is not the same font as 10 pt Helvetica Bold. If the metal block goes in a different case, it is a different font.

Cheers, Trevor, and I hope these links help you with the info you are looking for. If not, I have more.

Your friend,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've seen the movie, but it's a while ago. The reason I have a particular fondness for Helvetica, is that it's a constant reminder that "nearly there" is one thing, but "just right" takes it to another level 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines