• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of these 'help' screens for beginners in the new Photoshop CC?

Advocate ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's awful, and the only thing online says to go to preferences > general > and there is no choice for eliminating the help screens on start up. Please help me get rid of this interruption to work... TIA,  Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

the tutorial tips are hard coded and can't be fully removed... this was done by Adobe and forced onto users by design

the only current way to remove them is to hack the Adobe CC app scripts and that takes skill most users don't have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us just get rid of that homescreen altogether. Preferences >General then uncheck "Auto Show the Homescreen"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be Edit>Preferences>General and uncheck Auto show the Home Screen

ash.png

Older versions would be Edit>Preferences>General and uncheck Show "Start" Workspace When No Documents Are Open

ash2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been through the 'Preferences > auto show and some are auto 'do not show' but see my screen shot and I've made the right choice I hope to NOT auto-show but YET it still shows the lame beginner helps and marketing sales pages I am attaching.. I've restarted, trashed preferences and wresled with this for many hours over the last two days... It's not going away no matter what I do...

I'm using all of the latest... Photoshop v. 21.2.1 and Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 1.27.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-29 at 12.32.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-29 at 12.33.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that worked for me is in taniap4893429's post in this thread (you will have to scroll down to find it):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/how-turn-off-home-screen-in-photoshop-2020/td-p/10713037?pa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the tutorial tips are hard coded and can't be fully removed... this was done by Adobe and forced onto users by design

the only current way to remove them is to hack the Adobe CC app scripts and that takes skill most users don't have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You, It's good to know the reality of what is going on and I thank you for your informed reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something wrong there.

If you uncheck 'Auto show the homescreen' then close and restart, you may see the home screen on the first re-open. However, if you then open and then close a document you should never see it again.

The only time it should then  return is after a full preference reset which rechecks that box and you will need to uncheck it and repeat.

I do this after any full preference reset and never see that home screen again.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, You offer hope, but I've spent most of this week wrestling with this now, it just keep coming back and has never left. It's like working with some kindegarten program that controls everything for you. I've unchecked that box hundreds of times re-checked to make sure not, re-started my computer over and over, tried to get work done in the middle of all of this, closed, opened, re-closed, reopened, shut down, re booted over and over... as you can tell, I'm resigned to it never being any different now... It's like new cars these days, they are headed toward 'self-driving' cars now and there are controls over you automobile that you can do nothing about now... it's a 'take over' of all systems and all in the name of 'control.'  I will continue to work with images as this is my profession, but oh for the old days... 

PS:... It's getting worse, There are tool tips with images that pop up unannounced when you hover the cursor any tool. I have also unchecked 'show tool tips' many many times and even though it shows unchecked the 'tips' keep popping up in the work space... Talk about a take-over, Good Luck getting work done with Photoshop any longer with this barrage of 'helps'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if giving photoshop 2020 Full Disk Access like described here under Render Video starts but never completes makes any difference.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea but I read there also that going to version 21 of PS solves the problem... I'm running v. 21.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would still do the Full Disk Access

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, That's the way I've set it. Still no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the post I mentioned in my reply to your post. As far as getting rid of the Home screen, it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Rafael, I've followed every reply here carefully and nothing is working and now Photoshop is crashing constantly, I close all apps and only open one document and start to work and Photoshop locks up and needs to be forced quit, I have done over a hundred times over the past two days and need to go into another line of work it is so bad. I can't help think that upgrading to Catalina OS has made this happen and now I can't even go back to older versions of Photoshop because they will not work with OS Catalina.... I am dead, end of the road for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the same problem today. Threw out prefs, restart, unclicked all tool tips, turned on "Legacy New File" option, made  a new workplace profile and restarted. Not sure which did it, but "Get started with fun and interactive tutorials." is GONE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rich Tooltips is the one with the fancy movies for each tool. You can uncheck it here:

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 4.12.51 PM.png

Think resetting Prefs may straighten this out? I'm running Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.2.1 20200716.r.265 2020/07/16
Operating System: Mac OS 10.15.6 without issues.

Reset Prefs CC 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you gener7, I've un-checked that box for tooltips and restarted several times to no avail. I've also reset preferences and gone through re-setting up the choices in preferences. I'm worn out at this point and will just live with it until the next version comes out hopefully with fixes. Thanks for your very good suggestions which are the right things to try when the program runs off with its own agenda... I'm done fighting it and exhausted with it for the time being...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. First case of "snakebite" (doctor's slang for when the standard treatments fail when they shouldn't) that I've seen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been the worst. Photoshop crashing constantly now. I've erased my hard drive and now re-installing OS Mojave and will re-install the older version of Photoshop ... takes 8 hours to restore the hard drive from a backup volume... Needless to say, I will not be too anxious to upgrade from here once I get everything working normally as it was over a week ago. Live and learn...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines