• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to change color of line art?

Participant ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like it should be very simple but i cant figure it out.  i have some very simple black line drawings. i want to make them red.  if i try to change the color in stroke, i only have the option of changing inside, outside or center of line, not the whole line.  so it turns a kind of muddy red, like it's part red and part black.  i want pure red to replace all the black.  how to?

thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

It's probably because you have the art on a separate layer with no background. If all the art is on one layer, you can get away with a color overlay layer style/layer effect. Or just clip the solid color layer to your art by option clicking between the two layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using a Channel Mixer adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Set it to "colorize" and play with the three sliders: Hue, Saturation and Brightness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use hue/sat all the time, but for some reason it's not affecting the black lines.  any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pure black has zero saturation and zero brightness, so changing the hue will have no effect; one would also have to edit the brightness and set to Colorize, I guess.

You could just load the Composite Channel (or one of the RGB-Channels) by command-clicking them in the Channels Panel, invert the Selection, add a SolidColor Layer and hide the original Layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, i dont know pshop well enough to follow these directions.  if you are willing to take me thru step by step, that would be great.

you wrote:

You could just load the Composite Channel (or one of the RGB-Channels) by
command-clicking them in the Channels Panel, invert the Selection, add a
SolidColor Layer and hide the original Layer.

what is command-click?

where is the composite channel?

load the channel, or load something into the channel?

do i need to select something first?  if so, how?

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J’s recommendation may work for your purposes.

Still regarding your questions:

what is command-click?  

With the command-key pressed move the cursor on a channel- or layer-symbol in the respective Panels, upon which the cursor should change in appearance, then click.

where is the composite channel?

It is the topmost channel in the Channels Panel for RGB-, CMYK- and L*a*b-images and signifies the mixture of the respective component channels.

load the channel, or load something into the channel?

By command-clicking on a channel one loads that channel’s luminance as a Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks!  using channel mixer i am able to change the color to red, but the sliders dont allow the precision of  an alphanumeric color designation, like e30c0c, which i can access with eyedropper in other functions. seems like i should be able to select all the black and just tell it to  change to e30c0c, bit i dont know how to select...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what is layer one?  and how did you get it to the form where the redfill

applies to it but not to rest of image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer one is your lines. I set the color fill layer blend mode to screen, which make everything below it that is black, turn into red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you set the color fill layer to screen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see where it says "screen" in his screenshot, over the layers in the layers panel?

Yours says "normal" right now.

select the color fill layer and change it to "screen" in that pull-down

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i just changed it to screen in the pull down, but still all i have is a big red screen.  my line art doesnt show up in any color though both layers are active (eye icon on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably because you have the art on a separate layer with no background. If all the art is on one layer, you can get away with a color overlay layer style/layer effect. Or just clip the solid color layer to your art by option clicking between the two layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray!!!!!  this worked:

Or just clip the solid color layer to you art by option 
click between the two layers.

thank you J, and thanks to everyone else that contributed  to this solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the lasso tool to select the lines you want to colour, then go to Image, Adjustments, Hue and Saturation, then you can change the colour from there! Don't forget to tick colorize if you are coloring dark or black lines! Hope this helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is 8 years old so the original poster might not see your answer.

Solid Color Adjustment layers can have a mask, so a simple way to do this is paste the B&W line art into the layer's mask channel as a negative:

Screen Shot.png

Screen Shot 1.png

Then the precise color of the line art can be edited from the Solid Color layer's Color Picker

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrysanthemum.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Koala.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines