Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change default settings for TIFFs

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Every time I save a picture for the first time, I have to set the LZW option. If I click too quickly and the parameter is ZIP (default setting), then saving takes a minimum 5 minutes and there is no way to interrupt it.
Can I
a) either change the default setting?
or b) switch off the ZIP option completely
or what do you recommend?
thx in advance
Gabriel 

[branched from old unrelated thread by moderator and renamed for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some may disagree, but why are you saving to TIFF, its superior quality over an uncompressed JPG is negligible but the file size of TIFF is huge making them sometimes more difficult to manage? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TIFF settings (options) should be sticky. If I save a document in TIFF with say LZW, the next document saved as TIFF is also LZW. 

As for the options for TIFF, see:

http://digitaldog.net/files/TIFFvsPSD.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if it is not sticky?
it use to be, but now it is not saving the settings. I work around 80 files a day, and I have to manual set every time the options. How can I fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LZW compression was developed for 8 bit data and does not work well on 16 bit files. In fact, it will usually increase the size of 16 bit files.

Compression will also dramatically increase open and save times. It can go from, say, 10 seconds to over a minute. Layers are particularly slow to compress. This is CPU-intensive and irrespective of disk/interface speed. It may not matter for small files, but if you work on big files it can be the difference between flow and frustration.

Personally, I don't think there is a good case for compression in any form and I always turn it off. Yes, you need a lot of disk space. I just bought a couple of 18 TB drives for my working archive + backup of uncompressed PSD masters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't understand why the answers to a question are an argument to another topic.
the Question was: how can I let the settings be sticky with my selections? whatever the choosen options are.
I am sure there's another topic about compression or not, what's better or not, somewhere.

I (and I think even the owner of the post) am still asking: usually the choosen options are sticky with my last choice. (even mine use to be like that). Now they're not anymore. they reset every time I save a tiff file, so I have to manually select the correct options and then save. this leads to errors and loss of time. 
Is there any way to set my options as default? I kow that it should save them automatically, but if not, is there a way to force it?
thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a way to make the options stick? Photoshop 24.0.1 - saving as Tif defaults back to Zip everytime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines