• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Convert a Picture into one that was made using Traditional Animation?

Participant ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I Convert a picture (like this one (below) for example): 

Isla_Sorna.png

into one that was made to look like it was created [using/for] Traditional animation (aka classical animationcel animationhand-drawn animation, or 2D animation) without having to use the long time-consuming way to accomplish it?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post examples of what you strive for (images, not links). 

But ultimately »simulating« illustration might necessitate some illustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

Please post examples of what you strive for (images, not links). 

But ultimately »simulating« illustration might necessitate some illustrating. 

What do you mean by, "But ultimately »simulating« illustration might necessitate some illustrating."?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by, "But ultimately »simulating« illustration might necessitate some illustrating."?

I mean that automatic procedures or Filters may not suffice to get a result that truly resembles a »classic« illustration. 

So some manual input (»painting«) may be necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to transfer the style from one of these two pictures onto this picture, correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

Here is some helpful information on Style Transfer:

https://taylorhieber.co/what-is-the-style-transfer-neural-filter-adobe-photoshop-tutorial/

What I did find out though, is that you cannot upload your own style at this time. Maybe we will be able to with an upcoming version.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like with these 2 pictures (below) for example: 
Rescuers_Down_Under,_The_002.JPG.jpgRescuers_Down_Under,_The_006.JPG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, you are expecting too much from automation. The two examples that you've provided demonstrate a unique style - including shapes and forms. Automation can't do that (yet?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I agree with c.pfaffenbichler  below--there are some things that only come with doing it the old fashioned way--by drawing it.

But, there is an action that I have played with and you might find it helpful (or at least fun!) -- that is the Toon Artist Action. Check out this link: https://creativecloud.adobe.com/cc/discover/article/toon-artist-action-set?locale=en

I took a screeshot of your photo, played with Curves and brightened it:

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.43.35 PM.png

Thenk I did a quick Toon Artist Action:

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.43.43 PM.png

And then I took your image and duplicated it, and placed it on top with a blending mode of Hard Light. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 9.43.53 PM.png

To get a true animated look, takes time and work, but this might get you part of the way there!

Definitely checkout the Toon Artis Action!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest using the Neural Filter > Style Transfer.  You can see that I have it open, but have not turned Style Transfer on.  This is because four times in a row, turning it on and trying to select one of the sample styles crashed my computer.  That is to say my system shut down and restarted, and did so at the same point four times in a row.  It seems to me that it might do what you want, and the Neural filters that I have used and that worked, were little short of amazing, so give it a try.

Note that your image was so dark and flat, it would have given any plugin or filter too little to work with, so I used ACR to increase exposure, boost shadows, add lots of clarity and some vibrance to get it to the state below.

image.png

The Neural filter not withstanding, this is Topaz Glow

image.png

This is the Photoshop Stylize > Oil Paint Filter 

image.png

There are plugins like Topaz Studio.  I tried it but it has countless effects, so you'd need to try it for yourself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooo, I like the Oil Paint Filter! Thanks for sharing that!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love for someone to try the Neural Filter > Style Transfer to see if it is just my system that it is crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trevor.Dennis Oh wow!

I haven't played with Neural Filters yet! Thank you!! These are mind-blowingly cool!

Yes--they worked on my system. Mac OS -- still on Big Sur, Photoshop 23.0. (I am slow in upgrading when something is working!)

Michelle

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.29.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.30.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.30.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-23 at 10.29.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder how identical those pictures are to these 2 here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, first of all, I was testing the Neural Filters that Trevor.Dennis suggested, and posted them here to answer his question about Style Transfer, and second what point are you trying to make by your post?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Project I'm working on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We'd love to see it!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines