• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Disable Photoshop and Windows from Generating a Preview Thumbnail of the File?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a solution to a recent issue that has been interrupting my workflow significantly. This has been going on for about a month. I want to disable the thumbnail preview of the Photoshop and Illustrator files. The reason is that I can't distinguish the PSD file from the JPG, PNG, or GIF without actually clicking on the image and seeing what kind of file it is on the Windows details pane.

I sometimes have a dozen PSD files in a folder along with corresponding JPG, PNG, or GIF files (which I'd like file previews to still show for). In the past, I could easily distinguish the PSD file because it didn't preview, and it was the blue Adobe PS icon. 

I posted two images as an example. The first image is what I'd like my Windows explorer to show and the second is two green files, one PSD and one JPEG, with nothing distinguishing which file is which. 

Notes:

• I'm on Photoshop version 24.1.1.
  • Running a new Dell XPS 13 with Windows 10.
  • I've uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop with no resolution.
  • I know I can change the Windows Explorer to the "List" or "Details" view, but I'll then lose previews of my JPG, PNG, or GIF files.
  • I do NOT want to add file extensions in the filename, which interrupts my workflow for other reasons.

I just want the previous functionality and view back.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

I found the cause, it's Microsoft Onedrive causing the issue. Once the files are synced, they seem to generate a thumbnail preview. This is due to Onedrive generating the preview in the cloud and this reflects within Windows Explorer after sync. I uninstalled and reinstalled Onedrive three time to confirm that this is the cause. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set "show extensions" in Windows Settings > Folder options. 

You really need to know what file types you're working with, for a whole lot of reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned already, I do not want to show filename extensions, I work with lot's of manual file naming and extensions cause workflow issues. This is why I'm looking for the PS thumbnail NOT to generate the preview of the artwork, it used to show just a blue Photoshop icon, which is what I'm looking for. This still works on my other two PC's, one running Windows 10 and the other Windows 11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I can't see the extension when using "large icons" view in Windows, my filenames are long and the extensions are hidden, unless I double-click the filename, which defeats the purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I researched this and supposedly, its not possible to see thumbnails in Windows Explorer without installing third-party software. I'd look for what add-on is giving you those thumbs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for the reverse, I do NOT want it to generate thumbnails of the artwork. I want it to show the blue Photoshop icon or the orange Illustrator icon. Right now it's generating the preview thumbnail and I can't quickly distinguish between the PSD vs JPG/PNG/GIF. Does that make sense? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using third-party software (NOT Photoshop) to create those thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not using third-party software, this is a work laptop, and installation of any software is blocked. Nothing has been installed and this began occurring recently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not happening because of any setting in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, there are no native PSD thumbnails in Windows, hasn't been for at least 20 years.

If you have PSD thumbnails, it's because you have a third party codec installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the cause, it's Microsoft Onedrive causing the issue. Once the files are synced, they seem to generate a thumbnail preview. This is due to Onedrive generating the preview in the cloud and this reflects within Windows Explorer after sync. I uninstalled and reinstalled Onedrive three time to confirm that this is the cause. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.

Did you find a solution to disable thumbnails on PSD files when viewing in Windows File Explorer,

I also work same way and need to see PSD logo as I always use the same names for both JPG and PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last post said it was OneDrive creating thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it seems thats the cause.

I asked to him If he was managed to find a work around other then your "dont use OneDrive" suggestion.

Everybody knows how great is Adobe. No worries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies for the late response. I did not find any other solution other than uninstalling Onedrive. Not sure how important Onedrive is to you, but I found it would slow down my workflow in a number of ways, forcing thumbnails in Adobe products was one of them. I was actually happy uninstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that too. If you have PSD thumbnails, you have a codec installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines