• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable the welcome screen?

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the most recent update of Photoshop CC 2014 (being 2014.2.0) every time I start it, a welcome screen appears:

Capture.PNG

Not very welcoming I must say, but how do I get rid of this?

(and bonus points for the first who can answer why this screen is essentially empty )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

See this document: Troubleshoot Welcome Screen in Photoshop

Scroll all the way down to the bottom. There's a check box "Don't Show Welcome Screen Again"

You can relaunch the screen at a later date by selecting Help>Welcome Screen...

If you are a trial user, there isn't a way to easily disable the Welcome screen.  That's because we hope you'll use it to better learn how Photoshop works during your trial period.  If you do close it manually, it won't appear again until you relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 119 Replies 119
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, what is the deal with this hang. I have a 16 gb proc box with 32 gb of ram and sitting here for 5 minutes is absurd. This is causing me to loose money due to these hangs????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, same problem here. W8.1 64-bit, i7 2600K, 16 GB RAM, SSD HDD, nVidia GTX650 2 GB.

Message screen is a very good idea, but now it provides more problems than advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 9.42.16 am.png

This is my welcome screen. I must be going blind because I cannot see any option to disable it at the bottom. And yes, I am a fully paid user, and yes, this is OS-X Yosemite, not a 10-year-old OS. These 'welcome' screens are yet another nail in the coffin of Adobe CC. I've already found an alternative for Dreamweaver (crashes daily and is unusable). And I'm sick to death of having to reset everything after every 'update' (like ridding myself of the application frame!)

Buck your ideas up Adobe! I've been a user since Photoshop 2.5, but right now Gimp looks very appealing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The do not show again check box isn't available in the Create tab. Click on one of the other tabs: New Features, Getting Started or Tips & Techniques - and scroll down to see it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a different tab on the Welcome screen.  I don't remember which tab but i found the "don't show Welcome screen" box at the bottom of one of them (one with thumbnails).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is the welcome screen is totally blank (white) and when PS

finishes loading it disappears so there isn't even a chance for me to check

the "do not show" box. I can't even open the "welcome..." in the "help"

section to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rogersphoto, you might try a Photoshop reset using the Ctrl, Alt, Shift keys pressed while you open the program.  You will have to answer yes to the question that comes up.  This may make the Welcome screen behave right.  Normally it takes less than one minute for the Welcome screen to load but that may depend on internet speed.

Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Babble 2,

Thanks. After about 5 long minutes of waiting for the UN-welcomed "Welcome"

screen to disappear it finally did without me clicking on anything so I

thought I would not be able to access the "do not show" option. It turned

out that the welcome app hid itself behind PS screen. When I found it I

scrolled down as mentioned in a post and found the check box. I haven't

restarted it yet but I suspect that will do the trick.

It's funny because I updated PSCC2014 through the CC app about a week or

two ago and this welcome screen never appeared in about as many daily

starts. Upon start up this morning it just appeared even though I did not

update it. It was either some sort of "delay" or could it be that Adobe

updating our software without our permission sans the CC app? That would be

a huge no no!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it fixed.  Welcome window was not in the original 2014.2 update so it only happened recently and I couldn't find any way to turn it off either.  I think Adobe added the "don't show" box later.  As long as it can be turned off I think it may be a good idea to let new users get a running start.  Of course, they could just have it point to Adobe TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this fix and it did not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application again with no success.

I have logged out and then opened a .psd file only to have the same thing happen again. Very frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

best hosting wrote:

I have tried this fix and it did not work. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application again with no success.

I have logged out and then opened a .psd file only to have the same thing happen again. Very frustrating!!

The only way I got this to go away after sitting and watching it frozen for 5-10 minutes was to

1. restart PS
  2. walk away for 10 minutes
  3. come back to find the welcome screen up
  4. scroll down the welcome screen and check off "do not show again"
  5. cross your fingers and if you are a religious say a prayer to the god of software

When I did that, upon restart the welcome screen did not appear. I think the key for me was to leave it alone until it finished loading.

I don't think it's a matter of uninstalling. I believe that since the welcome screen is in essence a browser serving content from the Adobe servers. That being said there is some type of connection issue preventing the content from loading and since the welcome screen is "attached" to PS it makes it hang. It's just my opinion but I think it has merit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any recommendations for when the screen won't load at all? I've let it sit for hours and it's never progressed from the blank white screen. Other than using the previous version, I have no clue how to move forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2014 Oct 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give this a try.  Double click on a .psd file so that Photoshop will start without trying to open the Welcome screen.  Now select File -> Open Recent -> Clear Recent File List.  Now select Help -> Welcome to bring up the Welcome screen.  Let us know if it does or does not load properly.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suspect this wouldn't work? PS starting up is PS starting up right?

Why would opening via a .psd vs just double clicking to open make a

difference whether or not the welcome screen launches? I'm just curious.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Mark VerMurlen <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rogersphoto.com

The Welcome screen is designed such that its not supposed to display if Ps is starting up with a file that's immediately to be opened.  So no, there are different modes of starting up.  Give it a try, you'll see.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark - sorry I didn't see this sooner. I had actually tried that and it didn't work. The only solution that worked for me was to replace the pref file with one from a machine where I had already checked the 'Do Not Show Again' box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked for me, I think as I have yet to reopen CC and see if it opens "welcome'.

Adobe cannot write software to save their lives and their customer support is zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now I've just discovered, after the latest update (2014.2.1) every time I close a file window the bloody welcome screen comes back! I had five files open, had already manually closed the welcome screen, and with every file I closed I had to manually close the welcome screen again!

Was this designed for Windows?? ("It looks like you're writing a letter?") When is Clippy going to appear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the window populates (which took about 20 minutes on my 4GHz i7 with 32GB of RAM), you need to scroll down about 2-3 page heights- The "Do Not Show" checkbox is NOT part of the window, it's part of the content! Uncheck that and it shouldn't come back. It hasn't returned for me unless I specifically choose to show it from the menu (DON'T DO THAT- IT TAKES ANOTHER 20 MINUTES TO LOAD AGAIN).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows users try this worked for me

go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Required\CEP\extensions and remove the "com.photoshop.welcome" folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note, removing required files will likely cause problems and result in errors installing future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what's your recommendation for disabling the What's New screen prior to app launch? I have the first model of Mac Pro running Lion OSX, and attempting to run Photoshop locks up the whole machine. It never loads - just a white screen that freezes the system. I had the same issue with the last update of InDesign and deleting the Welcome files out of the Package Contents was the only way to get it to function.

It's crazy that users are getting shut out of the app completely for something that isn't a necessary function. I understand why you'd want to show users what's included in an update, but we are losing actual time and money having to deal with this. Why make it a required app file when you could make it a menu item 'Click here to see what's new' and have it launch in a browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop's welcome screen has been plaguing me for months. This is totally unacceptable to have something so broken it never loads on the startup of photoshop. I can never select the option to disable the welcome screen so I just deleted the HTML files. Screw you and your shitty attitude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Photoshop up to date? There have been fixes in recent updates to avoid many issues. Keeping Photoshop Up-To-Date

Have you tried the solutions here: Troubleshoot the Welcome Screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2015 May 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines