• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set Mixer Brush to use "Load Solid Colors Only" by default?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to set Mixer Brush to use "Load Solid Colors Only" by default? I hate having to open up that flyout menu to change it every single time I have to sample a color with a mixer brush.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to - that is a sticky feature that should remain selected even after changing brushes, tool, documents or quitting the application.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1658350909559.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, not for me. I have to click open that flyout menu and choose it everytime I switch brush or tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of PS are you running?

Two things you can try.

1. Click the tool icon on the top left and then the gear icon to access options.
    Reset the tool itself (not all tools).

2. You can also try resetting Photoshop preferences.
    Go to Preferences/General and click the reset preferences on Quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried your suggestions, and they don't fix the problem. The mixer brush still defaults to sampling the larger area of the eyedropper including other nearby colors, instead of "Load solid colors only." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The mixer brush still defaults to sampling the larger area of the eyedropper including other nearby colors"

Activate Color Sampler tool then from the Options bar set Point Sample from the Sample Size drop-down list.

sample size color sample.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already set to Point Sample, so that doesn't seem to be correlated to the problem of Mixer Brush not defaulting to "Load solid colors only."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of your other settings resetting after you switch tools?

Are you running as an Admin on the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did some more experimenting, and it seems the mixer brush only rests to sampling the area around the eyedropper when I'm switching between different mixer brushes in brush packs I purchases, and once I manually set that mixer brush to sample solid colors only, it will stay put if I switch to other tools like normal brush, healing brush, eraser, etc. However, as soon as I switch to a different mixer brush in those brush packs, it'll default back to sampling the surrounding areas. 

So, could it be possible that the behavior is somehow built into those brush presets? But as far as I know, that is not a behavior that can be built into a brush preset? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isnt a setting for that, but that does not mean that the imported brushes have a dependency built in for the loading colors. Try this - select a brush that resets the load color setting. Go to Brush settings panel. Turn/uncheck everything. Then set your load solid colors. Change your tools, etc. and go back - does it hold?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tired you suggestion, and yes, the behavior holds after I switch to another mixer brush within the same brush pack. So there's something in the preset that's causing it for sure. But WHAT? I'm stumped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to be something specific to those uploaded brushes. The default sets do not force the change. I'd say go through your sets and change them and save them back out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I'll do that as the last resort, as there are many dozens of them in the pack. I've contacted the creator of the brush packs and asked him if there's something else I can do to fix the behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I'm always using the latest release whenever they come out. So 23.4.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines