• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to SIMPLY change default "save as" in the drop down "save as" menu to the last file type saved?

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to SIMPLY change default "save as" in the drop down "save as" menu to the last file type saved?

I'm asking this question seeking a simple solution, not a complicated "export file to this or that" or other such time-consuming processes... The problem is as follows:

In PS "Save As" will always default to the last saved option file type EXCEPT "JPG." Why?  

For example, if you saved something once as say, a "PSD" file, the next time you do "Save As" it gives you "PSD" as the default option to save in the drop down "Save As" menu; it will continue to offer you "PSD" as your first choice the next time you "Save As" unless you then save a file as, say, a "PNG" for example.  Then the next time you "Save As" the default option will be "PNG." (not PSD.) And so on and so for for any kind of file type EXCEPT JPG.  It NEVER brings up "JPG" as a default option, even if the last time you saved it as a "JPG." You could save 100 files in a row as "JPG" but PS will still bring up the default format of whatever it was PRIOR to trying to save as JPG.  Why?  JPG is one of the most popular formats, yet it is precisely the format that won't come up as the first "Save As" option ever....

Is there some secret preference click that will change this?  I have spent literally hours with tech support in India at least 8 different times over the past year and, including frequently getting disconnected due to lousy VoIP connections, and as a result of that, spoken with dozens of techs, none of whom could even comprehend the phenomenon, let alone give me an answer.

Anyone have any answers?  Much thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't secret option. It defaults to PSD if your file contains layers. Even a single non-Background layer is considered "layers." or not suitable for JPEG. JPEG comes only when there's a single Background layer. You might consider proposing a change to this behavior in the Ideas section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I used to do event work, and have to process lots of pictures, I had an action that did a High Pass sharpen, Flatten Layers, and save.  That always saved as a JPG.  There was a limitation in that it would only save to the file location stated in the Action, but it was an easy job to move them all in one go when done.  In fact I usually used Bridge > Batch Rename (i.e. Special Event 001, Special Event 002 etc.) and save them to a new location.

If you make an action that simply flattens layers, and trigger it with a Function key (I used F4) then you just need to hit F4 and save, and it save as a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@garymak 

Do you simply require a method to force the save a copy as JPEG...

Or do you actually wish to force the save a copy to the last save file type? Available file types are generally dependent on the current document colour mode, layers, channels or bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given the way you have defined this, its not possible. Any solution will be somewhat complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What worked for me: I saw that, apparently after an update, Photoshop was opening my RAW files in 16-bit. That forced the Save As to go to PSD. I changed ACR's file handing to open my CR3 files in 8 bit  since I don't need the additional color information, except in rare instances (Apparently an 8 bit image can display 16.7 million colors, meanwhile, a 16 bit image can display 281 trillion colors) Now when I Save my file, it defaults to jpg.

Your mileage my vary. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines