• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use photoshop on 4K monitor? the scale of interface is too small...

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geting started with Photoshop cc on 4K monitor faced with problem of scale of interfece-its too small. How to adjust it to that resolution 3200x1800? Thanks in  advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Preferences > Experimental features > Scale UI 200%.......

200%.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌It does alter the image size (not the size in megabytes, but the viewing size..., but the writing is far too small to ever

n read, unless you upscale the monitor. But if you upscale the display, then everything else is too large... I've been doing this for considerable time, so I know how big everything is supposed to be... But it is up to you how you want to do it... I'm just telling you how I got over the issue without upscaling the display...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barryvj171 wrote:

I know how big everything is supposed to be

No, you don't. That depends entirely on the resolution of the display, its pixel density. That's what you don't seem to understand.

The new generation of high-density displays is why Photoshop added the option to scale up the UI elements, so that they appear roughly as they did on a traditional display.

But the image by necessity becomes smaller on these displays. That's what you pay for. It's not a problem, it's a feature, and an expensive one at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i see it as a problem, not a feature. i want to edit a photo at 100% not 'roughly as they did before'... anyway, I got it right and it works for me... What ever you do or other people do is entirely up to them...

if it is a feature, why are so many people having 'problems' with it....?

i Think in fact you and I are talking at crossed purposes.... I am talking about display upscaling the actual display in the iMac user options... I'm not talking about upscaling in Photoshop....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because like you, they are having a problem seeing applications that do not user their interface. Because high-resolution displays have a pixel size smaller than low-resolution displays have. Things display smaller on high-resolution displays then the same pixels displayed on low-resolution displays.

Go to best buy look at all the 1080P displays. The displays that display 1920x1080 pixels.  You will see them on  tablets, on small HDTV and Large Screen HDTV they are all displaying the same 1920x1080 digital images.  The difference is the tablets have a high-resolution display the small HDTV have a low-resolution display and the large screen HDTV have a very low-resolution display. You have no problem seeing each of the pixels on the large screen display, where you need a magnifying glass to see the pixels on the small 8" tablets.

There is a difference between scaling just the UI and scaling everything being displayed like OS can do. Which defeats high-resolution for things are scaled up in size less can fit on the display the whole display is like a low-resolution display with 1/4 the number of pixels

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same trouble with Photoshop CS6 and Bridge but not with Premiere Elements 14. I have a 28" 4K screen running at 60Hz over displayport and the UI fonts are tiny in these programs. My guess is that Adobe will not bother to correct this in CS6 but will they correct it in CC( have they?)? The options of 100% and 200% are not enough. If they have (or are likely to) corrected  it in CC then it might be worth my while taking out a subscription but if not, then I'll stick with CS6 - which I've already paid for.

It is notable that Adobe get it right with Premiere Elements but not with their other (more expensive) software. Also, that most, but not all, of my other programs seem to work well at 4K. So if other software manufacturers can get it right, how come a big company like Adobe can't? And don't give us all that bul****t about 'working with Microsoft' when Adobe can do it with at least one of their programs and other companies can also do it.

Fix it Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Hounsome wrote:

My guess is that Adobe will not bother to correct this in CS6 but will they correct it in CC( have they?)?

That's right, CS6 will not receive any more updates.

Fix it Adobe.

They have. The current CC version fully supports high-density displays and has so since CC2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the current Photoshop CC allows one to choose any UI scaling, not just 100% or 200%? If so, I might consider subscribing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, a 150% option would be useful for some people. I'm not denying that. 28" at 3840 x 2160 would fall into that middle category.

My bad. I assumed you were just complaining about the small image size, just like everybody else. I'll read more carefully next time, I promise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Hounsome wrote:

I'm having the same trouble with Photoshop CS6 and Bridge but not with Premiere Elements 14. I have a 28" 4K screen running at 60Hz over displayport and the UI fonts are tiny in these programs. My guess is that Adobe will not bother to correct this in CS6

Here is a CS6 fix to look at: http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as it's understood that this option will scale everything, including the image itself.

If I understand Mike correctly this time, he's just concerned with the UI, not the image. In his case 100% is too small, but 200% to big. With a 28" unit at standard 4K resolution, that's a valid point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded the 30 day trial of Photoshop CC which also loads Lightroom. Both these now have a sensible UI size by default but Bridge CC still has this problem so I'm not sure whether it's worth paying monthly for a package that offers only half an improvement over CS6. Does anybody know how to get Bridge CC to have a sensible UI size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2016 May 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this trick on my CS6 and it works quite well Adobe App Scaling on High DPI Displays (FIX) « Dan Antonielli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They wany your subscription money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS5 and I don't see the Experimental menu option. What are my options to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Your best bet is upgrading to latest PS CC 2015.1.2 version.

If there is a Hack, I won't publicize it here.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChrisBaltazar wrote:

I'm using CS5 and I don't see the Experimental menu option. What are my options to fix this issue?

What was state of the art display situation when CS5 came out in 2010.  1920x1200 was probably the highest resolution back then, and I certainly don't remember any complaints regarding using Photoshop on such a display. 

Out of interest, I just tried making a custom workspace that puts everything onto a second screen, and the image window on the main (high res) screen.  Photoshop remembers the settings after a restart, but places new documents on the second screen, so you have to drag back to the big screen with every single document.  Plus things like tabbed documents would not work.  It was a bit clunky judging from my quick experiment, but you _might_ be able to organise things so such a set up was usable, and adapt a workflow that didn't drive you crazy with frustration.

Or just get a CC subscription.  $10 a month is such a paltry amount, and for such an extraordinary application, it feels ridiculous to argue against it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be missing something.  I recently upgraded to CC and have a screen with 3840x2160 resolution.  All of my adobe programs the font is tiny!  In Bridge the font and thumbnails are miniscule, impossible to read.  I have searched for the experimental feature to change UI to 200% but I can't seem to find it on the most recent download of Creative Cloud.  Searching for someway to make the program readable or it won't be of any use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC 2014 and 2015, the UI scaling is under Edit > Preferences > Interface.

There is currently no such option in Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any options to make bridge remotely usable?  The wording on the menus all overlaps and thumbnails are so tiny, if there isn't an interface change what can be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did it but now its way to big

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can ask the author if there is some middle ground. Another would be to return it to normal and adjust your screen resolution down.

Bridge CC is an older (2013) product and the team didn't get around to planning this out with Microsoft. at this point, not much any of us here in the user-support forums can do. We are not privy to nor do we tell Adobe what to do.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line is Adobe does not care about CS4, CS5 of CS6 owners any more and how much they spent on these expensive suites. They have no interest in making the owners of these expensive suites happy. They are a Cloud Based Software company now, except for Elements, and I do not believe, even Elements 15, has the experimental 200% feature. Dan's fix is the closest attempt, but it has drawbacks, and does not work readily on CS5 or CS4 only CS6. Other software has this same problem with 4K and it has been noted earlier that this is also a Windows problem as well as a Mac problem. Amazingly Acrobat has no problem wit 4K but all Adobe Apps do. Interestingly, the Blue competition for Acrobat has no problem with 4K but Photoshop which has little competition, as more users prefer it over other options it has the 4K problem. Don't you all think that someone that is trying to adjust the quality of a graphic to the optimum, would want the least amount pixels they could get in their work monitor, IE 4K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines