• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to vertical align (to top middle or bottom) horizontal text

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to align horizontal text vertically in a paragraph in photoshop? I have many files where there is a text change and the texts need to be vertically centered. However the lengths of the texts are different. In Indesign this is easy but I can't find it in Photoshop.

align photoshop.png

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Hi,

As c.pfaffenbichler said, there is no text option in PS for a vertical alignement in text blocs. There is a workaround that might help but it involves Illustrator:

- Create a text bloc in Illustrator and set it up to align text vertically (from the "Text "menu ), you can still use justified text and so on.

olivierd42825091_0-1674048336056.png

olivierd42825091_1-1674048377645.png

- Copy that text bloc with ctrl+c, and paste it in PS as a smart object. Then align that smart object in the center of your PSD.

You can probably optimise your workflow better if you create

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Indesign this is easy but I can't find it in Photoshop.

That’s because Indesign is a page-layout-application while Photoshop is still primarily image-editing-software. 

Type-heavy layouts should ideally be done in the appropriate program/s. 

Depending on the frequency of the task it might pay off to create an Action or Script to align the Type Layer to some element that corresponds to the current paragraph-box (some Channel, Path, Layer, …) based on its transparency. 

This might cause some irregular results depending on the letters in the topmost and lowermost lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MarcIng 

InDesign, with robust controls for type has four choices for vertical alignment: top, bottom, center, and justified. Photoshop, with limited controls for type, has one choice. InDesign also has insets on one or all four sides.

Most of us would pick the correct application, but we understand that sometimes it's not your choice. In addition to what @c.pfaffenbichler said, you can try manual fixes such as (tedious) paragraph returns.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As c.pfaffenbichler said, there is no text option in PS for a vertical alignement in text blocs. There is a workaround that might help but it involves Illustrator:

- Create a text bloc in Illustrator and set it up to align text vertically (from the "Text "menu ), you can still use justified text and so on.

olivierd42825091_0-1674048336056.png

olivierd42825091_1-1674048377645.png

- Copy that text bloc with ctrl+c, and paste it in PS as a smart object. Then align that smart object in the center of your PSD.

You can probably optimise your workflow better if you create an illustrator file with many artboards (with a centered text bloc on each artboard) and then placing this .ai file in your psd.

Just select the right artboard every time you place your .ai file in the psd.

That way you could edit the ai file for all instances on your psd.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Olivier,

Don't know if it will work but I'll give it a try. Of course I make all my printwork in Indesign, I use a lot of Adobe apps. But I have a lot of files in PH who have automatic text import in 4 languages. I switch these text layers through the datasets under "images". They are all files for use on the internet. Working in PH is much easier than always having to switch between indesign etc.

Tnx a lot for your idea.

data.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-eʉ۪s paragraph returns-concept could probably be automated with a Script one would have to run on the psd after the Type Layers have been updated with the new text Рif the text in the Type Layers is homogenous, that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey,

I occasionally use scripts. Those are very powerfull. Unfortunately, I can't program myself. So I depend on someone occasionally posting a script that is free and that I can do something with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright got it, sorry I don't use variables functions so it's a bit above my knowledge. From what I can see, illustrator also use the same concept for variable texts, so maybe you could setup a "master" ai file where you apply all relevant variables. If many PSDs refer to that master .ai file they would automatically update their content when you open them. I agree its probably a long and difficult setup, not sure if its worth it.

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Olivier, your idea was a very good move. It does not work if you paste the illustrator file as a smart object but it does work if you paste it as layers. All the illustrator attributes are preserved (like vertical align middel) and you can automatically replace the text in PH by changing the dataset. This is because the text is editable in PH. Great! Just what I was looking for.

data2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines