• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

How will designs be displayed in a 4k monitor

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi forum.

I have a concern regarding 4k monitor displays, I need to purchase a new monitor. All my life I have been working in 1920 x 1080, this is the standard requirement for my everyday tasks. Most designs I do in PS, AI, AE, Adobe software are usually 1500px to 1000px. looks fine at 100%.  We are experiencing dramatic shortages here in Australia in electronics, and monitors are becoming limited on what options to buy. I did an example in PS a dummy canvas 4k resolution, and put a dummy rectangle of one of the usual dimensions I use, and it just seems so small. The canvas was displayed at 23% and I have to zoom in 4 times to get 100%, so my Green rectangle can be displayed at 100%, and be able to work on it. Is there a solution for a 4K monitor to display 1920 x 1080, and the Adobe software interface not be a worrisome issue?

AdobeProsicuts-MOnitor.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

It'll work as long as you understand the basic concept of screen resolution, which you obviously do. If you invoke View > 200% in Photoshop, the unit will behave just like any other HD 1920 x 1080 unit does. So that's "screen safe" the way you're used to.

And then you can enjoy full 4K resolution for photographic work or vector artwork or whatever else.

Most people panic because they can't understand why Photoshop displays smaller than their web browser, and they think Photoshop is "wrong".

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > 200%.

This uses four screen pixels to display one image pixel - a clean pixel doubling. In effect, it turns the 4K screen into an ordinary HD one.

The Photoshop UI is unaffected by this. It follows the scaling factor you have set in Windows.

This is already what all other consumer-oriented viewers/web browsers will do. They will also use this pixel-doubling when they detect a 4K screen (only they will do it automatically; always). It's the industry standard workaround to ensure that the same material can be used everywhere, regardless of what screen technology the user happens to have.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, thanks for your insight . So is it safe to buy 4k, 2k resolution monitors, without any dramas? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'll work as long as you understand the basic concept of screen resolution, which you obviously do. If you invoke View > 200% in Photoshop, the unit will behave just like any other HD 1920 x 1080 unit does. So that's "screen safe" the way you're used to.

And then you can enjoy full 4K resolution for photographic work or vector artwork or whatever else.

Most people panic because they can't understand why Photoshop displays smaller than their web browser, and they think Photoshop is "wrong". But it's just that other applications view at 200% by default with these screens, while in Photoshop you have to click that menu item (or keyboard shortcut) manually.

It's a bit like wide gamut displays. It works splendidly for web work as long as you understand what's going on.

I have to emphasize, if it isn't clear already, that this is very specific to raster (pixel-based) image editing. For vector editing, e.g. in Illustrator, the whole issue is moot and everything will always be rendered at full screen resolution (and this is also where a 4K monitor has the biggest benefits).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but Photoshop is absolutely wrong here. It is a production tool and should be able to handle both dimensions. The size of a printed paper does not get smaller when you print it at a higher resolution.

There should be a work mode that displays the drawn area at "double" size at 100% (input size) and a preview mode that uses 4k resolution (output size).

And then why is there an export function to create double resolution files (@x2) for 4k monitors. Photoshop handles resolutions absolutely inconsistently and incorrectly. This makes it difficult to control the actual sizes (fonts, dimensions, etc.) in your designs.

InDesign and Illustrator can handle this correctly. There are also resolutions for the web. Again, the entire Creative Cloud acts inconsistently.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You still don't understand. The other, consumer-oriented viewers/browsers scale up atomatically when they detect a high-resolution screen. That's not "double-resolution" files. They are the same files, just scaled up on screen.

Photoshop will do exactly the same thing with View > 200%!

If Photoshop scaled automatically, it would be rendered completely useless for all those people that don't work on images destined for a web browser. Photographers and print designers, prepress, scientific, forensic and medical workers - the list goes on and on. They couldn't use Photoshop! They'd have to find some other software that actually mapped one image pixel to one screen pixel and displayed images correctly.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the obvious and real solution "view at 200% so you match what the other apps do" seems evil and wrong to a small minority of people. They have never explained why.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, and actually that's part of a much deeper mystery: Whenever there's a discrepancy between some basic consumer-level app and Photoshop, the industry-standard professional image editor, they trust the former without question. Photoshop must be "wrong".

I've been trying to figure out what psychological mechanism could possibly explain this, but I've given up. It's amazingly consistent and widespread.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if working on Mac you could use a little extension called SwitchResX. it helps me a lot : https://www.madrau.com/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines