• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot associate files with Adobe Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing Photoshop CC, I cannot associate jpg's or psd's with Photoshop CC. I have used the "open with..." dialog box (something I have done a million times, so I know what I'm doing), but after choosing Photoshop, it does not appear in the list of recommended or other programs and will not open the jpg or psd file in Photoshop.

FYI, I installed Photoshop CC while Photoshop CS6 was still on my computer. I then deinstalled Photoshop CS6 and that is when I noticed the problem.

Please help...this is extremely frustrating.

Thank you!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

***I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND THE ROOT CAUSE AND SOLUTION***

After looking at a new user's registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and comparing it to the one on the original user, I found a registry value which was not changed, and should have been.

I found a key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 197 Replies 197
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem but with Adobe Indesign CC. I could not open .indd file. Now problem resolved.

Thank you middle.aged.hack and Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

middle.aged.hack - You bl**dy beauty!! Fixed.  I'm very happy.  Good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me with one small difference. The registry key was located here on my computer.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks For the Fix "

middle.aged.hack

" - works like a charm.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\op en\command

This key was set to the path for Photoshop CS6 when it should have been set to Photoshop CC.

In other words, in my case, it was set to:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

When I changed the CS6 to a CC, in other words, so the whole key reads:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2014 Feb 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I right-click on a JPEG or a TIFF file, my Open with dialog includes Photoshop and it does launch Photoshop CC - but the name reads "Photoshop CS6".

In other words it launches the correct programme but it's got the wrong label in the Open with menu. Is there a way of renaming it to Photoshop CC?

NB. Strangely, if I right-click on a NEF file (NEF being Nikon's raw format), the Open with dialog includes Photoshop CC but this time the name reads "Photoshop CC".

Any ideas folks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this same problem.  I ran CCleaner until my registry was reporting no errors and the problem was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried CCleaner (I always use it anyway) but it made no difference. In the end I modified one of the registry keys and that sorted it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This work perfect, I had uninstalled Photoshop CS6 and replace it with Photoshop CC

I changes

THis "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

To this in the Registry

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much. This worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks middle.aged.hack. Your suggestion worked like a charm. WOOT!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem when just upgrading from from CC to CC 2014 across the entire suite. Photoshop seemed to update the correct file associations but Illustrator & InDesign kept the old CC ones. Fortunately it does seem to be random as it didn't happen across my team of 20 licenses.

Adobe should really sort this out given the supposed 'advantages' of Creative Cloud!

Thanks middle.aged.hack - your solution worked great for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem only with jpg's. All other image formats include CC 2014 in the "open with" list in Windows 7 64 bit. However, when one version of Photoshop is already open, no matter which version (PS6, CC, or CC 2012) I select from the "open with" list the file opens in the version of Photoshop currently open. When I discovered this it became my work around for the problem with jpg's. I open CC 2014 and jpg's open in 2014 when I click on CC. Anyone else experience this quirk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens because you can't have two versions of Photoshop running at the same time - if one version is already open, it takes over all Photoshop entries in the "open with" list.

e.g.

Let's say you've got CC already running, and you try to open a JPEG or TIFF using the CC2014 entry in "open with" - the file will open in CC and not CC2014.

It happens the other way round too. If you've got CC2014 running, and you try to open a file using the CC entry in "open with" - the file will open in CC2014 and not CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carpathian, I figured it was something like that. At least it serves as a work around since I rarely use any other version than CC 2014. It solves the problem of opening jpg's from the "open with" list in a windows folder or picture viewer. But I'm still mystified why the file association problem only relates to jpg's in the first place. I'd uninstall older versions if it wasn't for fearing I'd have a whole new batch of file association issues, and hanging on to CC for a while to be sure there are no problems with CC 2014 such that I need a fall back option. In my Laptop I uninstalled PS CS5 and had a bunch of file associations to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "open with" entries seem to differ from user to user and file type to file type.

These are the entries I'm getting with CC and CC2014 installed:

• PSD files - "open with" shows  CC and CC2014
  • NEF files - "open with" shows  CC2014 only
  • TIFF files - "open with" shows  CC and CC2014
  • JPG files - "open with" shows  CC2014 only

Other users are getting different combinations for each file type - so the whole thing seems to be completely random.

I'd be happy if I could just get all four file types to show both CC and CC2014 - i.e. add the CC option to NEF & JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all thanks to everyone who has mentioned me in this thread. I'm glad I was able to help but a little sad that this is still a problem.

Luckily this bug didn't hit me again when I upgraded to CC2014, although many of the "Open With" settings were wrong. This was easily fixed as long as both CC and CC2014 were listed in the choices.

All I can say is it's pretty sad that this is still an issue. I've had close to 20 hours of discussions with Adobe agents (really, no kidding) on this and other issues, just trying to get them to even acknowledge an issue and create a decision tree to help agents provide solutions. After an Adobe rep destroyed my user profile while trying to help, I've learned not to trust anything they ask you to do and always create a system restore point before letting them do anything.

At the risk of sounding like the middle-aged hack that I am, I've been using Adobe products for precisely 25 years now and without a doubt, Creative Cloud is the biggest piece of muck they have ever produced. Authentication problems, basic problems opening files (like this one,) the open abyss that is the Creative Cloud app, and now... let me tell you how disappointed I was that CC2014 is a separate app suite from CC. Now I have THREE almost identical Creative Suites on my PC (CS6, CC, CC2014) and to be rather frank, there are very few things I do that I couldn't do in the original Creative Suite (aka CS1). In most cases, the apps are so similar that I can't even tell them apart when the wrong one opens.

Not to say there aren't changes or additions, but I'm not terribly interested in syncing any of my customers' work to the cloud, or using any made up words like "behance" so... unfortunately I pay the monthly vig like all of you just to keep compatible with my customers and swear loudly at Adobe every time I get the payment notice.

Sorry for the rant folks, but I expect most of you agree with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

middle.aged.hack you are the man! Thanks for the fix this has been bugging the heck out of me. I agree with your rant 100%. The kind of dough Adobe gets from us, these types of issues should be addressed when brought to their attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaaand still a problem for Photoshop 2018. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was moving from CC to CC 2014 and your (middle.aged.hack) fix worked for me as well.  I just had to change the path from photoshop CC (64bit) to photoshop CC 2014.  Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much middle.aged.hack... problem fixed for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much middle.aged.hack... problem fixed for me too!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2014 Dec 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, worked like a charm! Good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too! Thank you my friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You're my hero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines