• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to edit a subject and background separately, then combine the edits.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this has been asked numerous times and there is a lot of documentation and videos on the subject, but I am unable to follow anything and accomplish what I need.

I’m running the latest Photoshop 2024 build under Windows 10.

I need to separate a bird subject and a background, then perform separate edits on each, then put the edited subject back into the edited background exactly where it originally was, and then save it as a jpg.

I’ve made some progress by following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teqxB8Cr89E&ab_channel=JamarAlexisPhotography

I got up to the 4:02 mark, when the “inverse” selection on my Photoshop wasn’t available.

These are the steps I took with an image.

Ctrl J for a new layer – select the new layer – select – subject – select  - modify -expand – expanded accordingly.  Ctrl J which created layer 2.

Where I am so far is that I can select layer 2 by itself which is the bird isolated against a checkered background.  I am able to edit the bird by itself and save the jpg, but this is not what I need.  After I edit the bird, I then need to isolate the background in its own layer and put the edited bird back in the new background where It was in the first place.

What am I missing here?  Why doesn’t isn’t my inverse menu item selectable.  What additional steps do I need to take to accomplish what I need?

In this video you will learn how to separate/edit the background and the subject of your photo using Adobe Photoshop IN LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES! This is an easy trick that everyone using Photoshop MUST know!! It allows flexibility for you to edit the background and subject of a photo differently ...
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide a screenshot of the entire window with the Layers panel expanded and visible at the moment when the invert selection option is unavailable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can select inverse after I select the subject and get this result:

https://i.imgur.com/8S683F2.jpg

However, as soon as I hit CTRL +J to make a new layer, the invverse option is no longer available.

Pls see:

https://i.imgur.com/F70qf7a.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Did you destroy the original image in the file with the isolated bird? 

If you kept the original image (as the hidden Background Layer for example) you can duplicate it and use a Selection based on the clipped bird to remove the bird from the background (content-Aware Fill, Generative Fill, …). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my workflow with screenshots. Sorry if this is a little overkill, but I don’t want to miss anything.

The original photo with my complete PS layout:

https://imgur.com/V64kNs2

I then hit CTRL + J to get the second layer – Layer 1 and this is my layout:

https://imgur.com/33G5idy

I then select subject and this is my layout:

https://imgur.com/vdz7PzB

Then I hit CTRL + J and this is my layout:

https://imgur.com/JR99I2L

Now, If I only select layer 2, I see the bird completely isolated from the background, however, the “inverse” button is not functional. See this as proof:

https://imgur.com/tJEtHKC

The “inverse” button isn’t functional with either of the other layers selected by itself either, but I think I need it to work with the bird isolated.
So, I’m at the point where I can make edits to the bird, but I need to isolate the background as a separate layer, made edits to that layer and then move the edited bird back into that layer so I can save it as a jpg.

I could also select layer 2 and layer 1 or layer 2 and background, and I now see the edited bird in the original background. Pls see the attached.

https://imgur.com/JCEBuu0

So, the only thing I don’t have is the original background isolated as a layer, so I can edit the sky background by itself, then select layer 2 and the edited background layer, and then save the jpg. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Regarding - Did you destroy the original image in the file with the isolated bird?
If you kept the original image (as the hidden Background Layer for example) you can duplicate it and use a Selection based on the clipped bird to remove the bird from the background (content-Aware Fill, Generative Fill, …).

The locked background layer is present. I already removed the bird from the background. I shouldn’t have to do this again. Also, after I’ve created the layers, when I go to the first copy or original background, I am no longer able to select the subject, and I should not have to use aa hand tool to do the work or selecting it.

Pls see the attached.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wUVsgUo.jpg[/img]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the links all over the place in my last reply.  Some boars handle imgur links differently than others and I was trying to get this organized correctly.  In any event, the first set of links are all in order, so I should ahve gotten my point across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post proper screenshots

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

on the Forum directly (»Insert Photos«-button). 

insertPhotos.png

Select > Inverse is naturally only active if there is an active Selection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark.  It's difficult to work out where you are going wrong here, and I have to say, I am not entirely sure what you think is not working.  I have started with a bird in the sky and copied the layer, then used Remove Background which creates a layer mask hiding the background.

I think you wanted to remove the bird from the original layer, so if you use Select > Modify > Expand to grab a bit of the sky, you can then use Content Aware Fill to remove the bird.

image.png

Which gives you this:

image.png

If you want to edit the bird, then maybe right click the layer mask, and choose Apply layer mask

image.png

When you have made your edits to the bird thre's no need to do anything else.  Save it as a layered .psd file so you can make further changes should you need to, and save it as a .jpg so you can upload to Instagram etc.  Is this what you were trying to do?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can follow the first step by duplicating the oringinal background layer and removing the background from that copy, however, when I attempt your second step  -select - modify, when the original background layer is selected, the "modify" option is not selectable.  Please see the attached and let me know what I'm missing or doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can follow the first step by duplicating the oringinal background layer and removing the background from that copy, however, when I attempt your second step  -select - modify, when the original background layer is selected, the "modify" option is not selectable.  Please see the attached and let me know what I'm missing or doing wrong.

By @Mark37430984r9lw

Do you understand what a Selection is in Photoshop? 

Usually it is indicated by the »marching ants« and describes an area in a Layer or Channel designated for editing. 

If there is no Selection obviously the Selection modifiers cannot work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To load the transparency of the Layer with the clipped bird as a Selection ctrl-click its icon in the Layers Panel. 

Alternatively you can Select > Load Selection and select the correct Layer. 

Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 13.07.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also unable to perform the second step - select - modify the copy of the original backgroud layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So where are you up to now?  Do you still need some help?

It sounds like you are having problems with the selection.  Can you see the marching ants (the dashed line around the outside of the selection)?

image.png

If you have the Contextual Task Bar turned on, and click the brush icon (my yellow highlight), you have a range of options to modify the selection.  This is a fast and convenient method to change a selection.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out!!

Step 1 duplicate layer.

Step 2 – unselect the original background.

Step 3 – remove background on the duplicate layer.

Step 4 – Select the duplicate layer only and make adjustments.  Note - one must select the layer icon on the left in order for all the adjustments to be available.

Step 5 – duplicate the original background layer again.  Lasso around the rotated subject in the copy.  Right click around the selection – content aware fill.   Apply – OK

Step 6 – Make edits to Background Copy 2.

Step 7 – Select Background Copy 2 and background copy.  This shows both edits.

Step 8 – save as jpg.

I very much appreciate your perseverance.  I think this took so long because you had assumed that I knew some Photoshop basics, such as what a selection is.  I did not.

Now, I feel like making an instructional YouTube video on the process, (😊) since the ones I saw didn’t specifically outline the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't edit my own posts.  I had stated Lasso around the rotated subject in the copy, as I rotated it as part of the proof of concept test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a duplicate of my reply two posts up with some edits. 

Mods,

Can somebody please edit that post and replace it with the below?

Ty

I figured it out!!

Step 1 duplicate layer.

Step 2 – unselect the original background layer and only select the layer named “Background Copy.”

Step 3 – remove background on the layer named “Background Copy.”

Step 4 – Select the layer named “Background Copy” and make adjustments.  Note - one must select the layer icon on the left in order for all the adjustments to be available.

Step 5 – duplicate the original background layer again.  Lasso around the rotated subject in the layer named “Background Copy 2”.  Right click around the selection – content aware fill.   Apply – OK

Step 6 – Make edits to Background Copy 2.

Step 7 – Select the layers called “Background Copy 2” and “Background Copy.”  This shows both edits.

Step 8 – save as jpg.

I very much appreciate your perseverance.  I think this took so long because you had assumed that I knew some Photoshop basics, such as what a selection is.  I did not.

Now, I feel like making an instructional YouTube video on the process, (😊) since the ones I saw didn’t specifically outline the steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines