Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Pattern Swatches not displaying properly in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically what is happening is this:

Our designers create pattern swatches in Adobe Illustrator. If I export a illustrator .pdf from illustrator and open it in Adobe Acrobat/InDesign, it is fine. However, if I open that same .pdf in Photoshop, the artwork will have faint white lines (from the clipping masks in the pattern swatch).

A lot of the times I need to rasterize the image so I can edit the file in photoshop. This cant be done because the art is being changed between Illustrator and Photoshop.

This may seem like a small thing, but when we go to print 10,000 pieces, an error like this could end up costing our company a lot of money. Please Address this bug or design a workaround for it. Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnc99910899 When you open in Photoshop, do the lines remain if you change the zoom % (in/out)?  I'm wondering if it's a rendering problem in how the canvas is drawn to screen.  If you export it to a different format (png, psd, or jpg) and then reopen in Photoshop, is the line still there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that you could provide a source file that exhibits this problem so we can take a look?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Yes, the lines do remain when zooming in and out. It is not a display issue, the problem is that these fine lines will actually print when sent to a printer. The workaround I'm trying to avoid is: 

1. Expanding the Pattern in Illustrator

2. Deleting all clipping masks from the expanded pattern swatch

3. Re-exporting the expanded version of the pattern swatch.

Not only is this time consuming but sometimes deleting clipping masks can change the art (depending on how it was built). It seems to be an issue from going from vector to rasterized. It's just strange that placing the .pdf in InDesign doesn't show the lines, but placing the .psd will show the lines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if I place the files as AIC in my creative cloud files section, will you be able to access them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnc99910899 If you share the file with me via CC (crolfs at adobe dot com), yes I should be able to access it.  We improved interoperability last year betwen PS and AI.  Have you tried just copy-paste?  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-and-illustrator.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chad,

I don’t trust illustrator and photoshop to copy complex graphics between programs with a simple copy and paste. I have tried with things like packaging and noticed that sometimes information can be missing, usually punctuation marks and barcode information. I think that photoshop just needs to be able to display the adobe illustrator .pdf the same way illustrator and acrobat display it.

John Comey
Junior Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnc99910899  Sorry for the delay on circling back here.  I can repo the issue by exporting from Illustrator as a PDF and opening in Photoshop.  I just tried opening the Illustrator file directly in Photoshop's latest release (23.4.1) and don't see any faint white lines.  Can you try that on your end and let me know if you see the same?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chad,

These lines are still appearing. If you zoom into 400% you can see the white lines on the red flower in the bottom right corner. I can send you a screenshot if necessary. Just let me know. Thanks.

[signature_2910884867]<>
[signature_3906399127]
John Comey
Junior Designer

[Personal info removed by moderator. This is a public forum.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, seeing it now.  I had Anti-aliased unchecked.  Have this logged as a bug and will have a Dev look at it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you guys still working on this bug? I'm still getting lines when I pull patterns or pdf/.ai in to photoshop. There have been multiple updates since this was logged. Please reflag this as an urgent matter. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines