Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import histogram

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Team quick question

Can I export an histogram values in order to import it into another picture, to colour grade it?

I am aware of Image/Adjustment/Match colour but looking to go furhter than that!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For color grading in the traditional sense, you probably want to use the technique of creating a color lookup table (color LUT) from a Photoshop document; see the link below. The linked page links to another page that tells you how to load a LUT into another Photoshop document.

https://photoshopcafe.com/make-lut-photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks Conrad, it's interesting but in whole fairness this has little to do (if anything) with my question.

How could I download the RGB histogram of picture 1 to upload/apply to picture 2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t.

That’s the whole reason I suggested what I did. Also, you will find that “copying a histogram” from one image to another is a feature that (as far as I know) you will not find in any other photo app by any other company. It’s just not done.

But creating a color LUT from one image to apply to another image is one of the most widely used color grading tools.

Maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way. I should ask, is there a reason or technique that you know of that actually does involve “downloading” a histogram?

Because that’s something I’ve never heard of. A histogram is simply a count of how many pixels are at each level. And in fact it’s one of the least interesting graphs about an image. (For color correction, the clipping indicators, and the waveform and vectorscope used in video editing, are far more informative tools.)

A histogram is just a readout. It’s a little like asking “How do I copy the speedometer reading from this car to that car?” You can’t; if you want another car to match speed you have to adjust the other car’s engine and brakes instead. Or, “How do I copy the temperature from this room to that room?” You can’t, you must adjust the other room’s heating or cooling system instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad ---- I think I understand your point.

How can I then display/highlight some very specific points of my histogram, particularly per channels? It shall be straigghtforward but I did strugle finding my way...

thank you!

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I then display/highlight some very specific points of my histogram, particularly per channels?

By @Daniel Roy

I am not sure what you mean exactly. If you want control over specific tonal levels, a Curves adjustment layer can do that. If you want to highlight specific tonal levels, a Threshold adjustment layer can do that.

Maybe we need to know more about what you need. How is the “highlighting” that you want different than the display shown in the demo below, where specific levels are highlighted?

Photoshop Daniel Roy histogram.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad. Sorry I could not reply earlier. 

OK that works to highlight these parts. But how can I do this per channel? I dont see any obvious way to do so. And then bonus question when I higlight red 255 for instance how can I bring those to 250 for instance. 

Apologies if my questions are super naive and mis formulated...

thank you again
Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that works to highlight these parts. But how can I do this per channel? I dont see any obvious way to do so. And then bonus question when I higlight red 255 for instance how can I bring those to 250 for instance. 

Apologies if my questions are super naive and mis formulated...

By @Daniel Roy

No problem…Asking questions is why this community exists.

The Levels and Curves adjustment layers let you offset levels by channel. They also offer clipping previews. The demo below shows one way to set level 255 to 250 in the Red channel.

The steps shown in the demo are:

1. Add a Curves adjustment layer. I did it through the Adjustments panel, but you can also do it through Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Curves, or by clicking the Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer button at the bottom of the Layers panel. 

2. In the Properties panel for the Curves adjustment layer, set it to the channel you want (or composite view for all channels).

3. If you want to preview current levels using a threshold view, hold down the Alt key on Windows or the Option key on macOS as you drag the white point or black point triangle at the bottom of the Curves graph. The reason it shows red when I do it is because this is in the Red channel.

3. Select the curve point you want to edit. You want to adjust level 255; that is the point at the end of the curve. When a point is selected, its Input (current) and Output (your change) values are shown below the graph. Note that for reference, the histogram is shown behind the curve.

3. Change the Output value of that point to whatever you want. You wanted to set it to 250. You can do that by dragging the point or editing the selected point’s Output value below the graph. Pressing any arrow key nudges the point by one level.

Even though you may not have known how to phrase the question, if this is what you were after it was a good question, because adjusting levels this way with Curves or Levels has been a fundamental Photoshop image correction technique and marketable skill for over 30 years, and therefore well worth asking about. To adjust tones between 0 and 255, you click on the curve to add a point at the Input level you want, and then you adjust that point’s Output value. In this way, you have control over up to 255 levels.

Photoshop Daniel Roy Curves.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conran! this has been extremely helpful. In particular how to preview the levels using a threshold view. I am consicous all these explainations are taking time and I am grateful for it.

Although I am still a little bit confused by something. 

I have included screenshots of the histogram before adjustements. As you can see, it exhibits two significant peaks on the red and green channels towards the right end of the distribution. I therefore adjust those channely by minimizing the top value which can be taken (lowering the output).

And in consequence, the peak does migrate to the left, which, when I think about it, I understand.

However, I fundamentally want to move the distribution away from the right side and towards the left. 

Maybe it would help I explain what I am trying to achieve.

I have included a screenshot of the picture I working on and model, which is taken by Gursky. As you can see my picture's histogram is a lot more chaotic, particularly on the brighter side which I am trying to resolve.

In my opinion, part of the mystery emanating from Gursky's pictures --- this one and others --- can be found in the regularity and simplicity of the histogram distribution. 

And this is what I am trying to achieve.

Of course, I am consicious Neural Filters/Colors Trasfer (as Match Colors) can help me reaching this objective. However I would like to be able to do it myself, as this means fully understanding the technique and logic.

Thanks again to everyone

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have included a screenshot of the picture I working on and model, which is taken by Gursky. As you can see my picture's histogram is a lot more chaotic, particularly on the brighter side which I am trying to resolve.

In my opinion, part of the mystery emanating from Gursky's pictures --- this one and others --- can be found in the regularity and simplicity of the histogram distribution. 

By @Daniel Roy

There may be some misinterpretation of the histogram going on here. When you describe the peaks to the extreme right and how you want to move them to the left, that is a fair goal…even without seeing the image, an experienced image editor would say that a pile-up of histogram bars at the right edge of the graph indicate blown highlights (clipping): The lightest values contain no detail. This is not good, because areas without detail are just blank. However, here the histogram stops being helpful because it can’t tell you which pixels are blown out. You have to use the clipping display to see that.

Moving the histogram data to the left is fine, except for one thing: If it is not a raw image, blown highlights may be unrecoverable that way (a solid white area has no detail to recover). If so, the optimal way to recover them is to go back to the raw image and reprocess it (or back to the original film and re-scan it) so that no highlights are blown. I am confident that Gursky takes care in his original processing to make sure highlights are protected at all steps from capture to print, like Ansel Adams would.

Proper processing from capture to print would also achieve your other stated goal, smoothing out the histogram. A spiky histogram can suggest missing levels, overcompression, and other unwanted artifacts of sub-optimal processing. The smoother histogram in the Gursky images suggests that care was taken at all processing stages to maintain realistic tonal transitions.

If the original image is raw, the tools in Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom are built to help you preserve all the original raw tones you need, and redistribute them in any way that you need, so that you don’t have to do much more in Photoshop. In the demo below you see these steps:

1. Enable the Shadow Clipping Warning (blue) and Highlight Clipping Warning (red).

2. (optional) Enable Before/After view.

3. Adjust each of the tone controls, pulling back any time clipping warnings appear..

Notice how each option redistributes the tones:

• Exposure moves everything, but mostly the middle. 
  • Contrast moves the extremes in or out. 
  • Highlights moves mostly the lighter tones. 
  • Shadows moves mostly the darker tones. 
  • Whites changes the level at which the lightest tones are clipped. 
  • Blacks changes the level at which the darkest tones are clipped. 

Also notice that about halfway through, I stop dragging the sliders and I start directly dragging ranges in the histogram graph, in case you find dragging the histogram itself to be a more intuitive way to redistribute the tones.

Camera Raw tone control.gif

Note: If shadows or highlights are totally clipped in the raw data, then they are totally unrecoverable and the mistake was under- or over-exposure in the camera.

I believe the differences you see in the two images are partly because the photo of the Gursky image contains less clipping in fewer channels, and has smoother and more subtle tonal distribution. I also believe that the original Gursky print is likely to have much less clipping than this JPEG-compressed reproduction, or maybe no clipping at all except for specular highlights.

Gursky-vs-Roy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Conrad. Thanks a million. There's a lot of great knowledge here to unpack. 

A couple of first thoughts. It's indeed possible I have been 'burning's some whites across all my work so far, I will look in the original RAW files to compare those (hence the peak on the right side). 

A little precision: my picture is about 25000 pixels by 15000 in psb / not a jpg (except of course the screenshot I shared here). 

All in all, I think I am mostly with you except for a couple of points: 

1. Whites changes the level at which the lightest tones are clipped. 
  2. Blacks changes the level at which the darkest tones are clipped. 
  3. the Gursky image contains less clipping in fewer channels.

by lightest/darkest tones are clipped, do you mean the levels at which image is pure black/white? Or do I get this wrong? The last point I really dont get, I am so sorry.

I am travelling this week for work but I am reading with attention your guidance here.

thanks again
Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Conrad --- at the very end it looks like the 'difficult pixels' were burned/slightly over exposed whites. In the meantime I really learned a lot! Thanks again it's been a pleasure. I am posting soon another question if you still have appetite to help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth specifying I am considering how to adjust the colours of white cars in the parking. They are very bright. This might help resolve the histograms differences? Conscious I might sound like trying to paint by numbers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conran! this has been extremely helpful. In particular how to preview the levels using a threshold view. I am consicous all these explainations are taking time and I am grateful for it.

Although I am still a little bit confused by something. 

I have included screenshots of the histogram before adjustements. As you can see, it exhibits two significant peaks on the red and green channels towards the right end of the distribution. I therefore adjust those channely by minimizing the top value which can be taken (lowering the output).

And in consequence, the peak does migrate to the left, which, when I think about it, I understand.

However, I fundamentally want to move the distribution away from the right side and towards the left. 

Maybe it would help I explain what I am trying to do. 

I have included a screenshot of the picture I working on and model, which is taken by Gursky.

Part of the mystery emanating from Gursky's pictures --- this one and others --- can be found in the regularity and simplicity of the histogram distribution. 

And this is what I am trying to achieve.

Of course, I am consicious Neural Filters / Colors Trasfer (as Match Colors) helps reaching this objective. However I would like to be able to do it myself, as this means fully understanding the technique and logic.

Thanks again to everyone

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad, I try my best not to obsess too much about colour, but I have seen some videos on Match Color

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad, I try my best not to obsess too much about colour, but I have seen some videos on Match Color

By @Trevor.Dennis

It’s a good suggestion, but I did not mention Match Color because the original question said “I am aware of Image/Adjustment/Match colour but looking to go furhter than that!”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of Image/Adjustment/Match colour but looking to go furhter than that!

As Match Color works destructively by default I consider it best to be avoided altogether. 

Have you tried the Filter > Neural Filters > Color Transfer? (Though additional adjustments may be necessary.)

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 08.35.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello both, apologies I have only the ability to follow up on this over the week-end; due to work during the week. Trevor, Conrad I will revert. Appreciate the help a lot!

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Filter > Neural Filters > Color Transfer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good indeed! Very helpful. Now I still have a question re threshold. I will follow up on that part of the thread. 

Thanks again.
Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Histograms are NOT used for matching color. I'm not sure why you're trying to go down this path, but it's only going to end in failure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines