• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to buy a "non cloud" version of Photoshop ?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a custumer of Photoshop since PS4 back in the nineties... I'm not interested in working in the cloud, nor online...

Is there any "normal" option to upgrade my CS6 version normally ?

I feel like being left over by Adobe...

No cool 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

CS6 was/ is the last standalone version. From here on, new versions will only be available as subscription.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 141 Replies 141
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud may be the way to go, but there are a lot of us out there who have spent a fortune already on Adobe.

We have loved and cherished the products and now feel totally let down.

I have Dreamweaver - 12.0 Build 5861 and Photoshop CS6 Extended - 13.0 x64

Which I can no longer get updates for. 

Which means fixes too.

I paid a lot of money for these products and I really feel gutted that I am forced to pay $50 per month, if I want to keep these products up-to-date.

Does this now tempt me to look at alternatives such as ON1 Photo 10, Macphun suite or Affinity ? Of course it does. I really cannot afford $50 per month

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the following:

Adobe's move to stop piracy of their software.

Adobe's desire to stop iterations in updates, and have a constantly-updated suite.

Many of the features they want to offer to customers.

While valid, what disgusts me is the pricing system.  I'm a teacher and have a need for photoshop for personal projects or for my classes maybe once or twice a year, tops.  I don't make money on these projects.  In college, Photoshop was sold at a deep discount to students, which I purchased and learned to use, and used for about six years before the version wasn't compatible with my new Windows XP computer.  I bought another version, I forget which, that was better, again at a teacher discount from an educational institution.  When that version was no longer functioning properly, I was shocked to hear Adobe was basically saying that now, they would be charging you forever and no new versions would be made, aside from Elements.

I have a few projects coming up that I will want Photoshop for, but I will likely only be using the software for a month or two.  I only need Photoshop.  I don't need cloud storage of my files, syncing across dozens of devices, special fonts, stock photos, special features, website creation, web-space, or literally any other bell or whistle Adobe wants me to have.  I looked at the $9.99/mo feature, and thought "Hey, that's perfect.  $10 and I can do a few projects and won't be throwing money at Adobe for the rest of my life.".  Except, it's not really, $10 a month.  It's $120 a year on a contract.  It's basically like a mobile phone company.  If you cancel, you pay a pro-rated amount to half the leftover time.  So if you use it for a month, then cancel, you're paying $70 and you can only use the software for 30 days, after which you can not access your files.

Adobe's reaction?  "Too bad."

So, now I'm feeling thoroughly abandoned by the company, and felt like I should go look for Photoshop CS6, which I found to be the only stand-alone version you can own forever.  That's an absurd $700 for the one piece of software, particularly one that the company has now utterly abandoned and won't support anymore.  The suite of software is a ludicrous $2600.  Even Corel is in the $400 range.  It's like if you went to a bicycle company you'd been buying lightweight bikes from for a decade for a hundred bucks or so, except when you show up they break your bike, tell you you need to buy a new bike, and the only bikes they sell are Cadillac Escalades for tens of thousands of dollars.

Businesses are now spending up to three times as much for software they need, and people like me are utterly left in the dust with no really good options.

Some people have said "Well, Microsoft is doing the same thing with Office!".  True.  But I'm now never paying them for software again either.  If they had Office for sale for around $100 for 2016, I'd have purchased it.  As it stands, I'll be using my older 2010 version and not budging, or alternately using OpenOffice.  I refuse to be charged for the rest of my natural life for a piece of software, even one that I use frequently.

Both Adobe and Microsoft, because of their desire to put money first, have lost me as a customer for the foreseeable future.  I would have even done a $9.99 for one month purchase, and continued to do it on occasion as I needed the software, but Adobe refused me even that.  Elements is mediocre, and I'm going to try and find my old disks of old Adobe Photoshop CS and try to hack them into functioning on Windows 10.  The bottom line, Adobe will not be getting a single cent from me again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone over to Serif.

Kind regards

Mrs Gwynne Burn BSc(Hons), PgCE

Administrator

Sea Cadets - Derwenthaugh Training Centre

*http://www.derwenthaugh-seacadets.org

<http://www.derwenthaugh-seacadets.org>*

MSSC Tyne Tees Branch

http://www.mssc-tynetees.org <http://www.mssc-tynetees.org>

Supporting Sea Cadets in the North East

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What really burns me about this subscription issue is this; I purchased PS, Indesgin, bridge separately several years ago, then Adobe went to subscription based applications.  Now, unless I subscribe I don't have access to my work.  Even though I have the file on my computer I can't open it unless I subscribe.  In fact, I let the subscription lapse since I didn't think I was going to use it for a while and when I went to open my document I was forced to renew my sub. even though I had no plans to use it for quite some time.....ARGH... what a rip off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be nothing stopping you from installing and using your old software. You don't need to subscribe to use your old documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open your files with your old applications as long as they are supported by the operating system. The problem may lie here.

If you are only an occasional user, ask for a month only subscription. You pay when you use...

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the company is trying to focus on the professional market and maximizing profits at the expense of non-pro and start business consumers who can't afford the hefty $70 per month, and don't feel comfortable losing control of their content.  I fear security issues will plague this new cloud system in the future. Adobe has the legal work covered, so consumers are on their own.  There are other software alternatives to Adobe Suites but I hope Adobe hears the cry of long time customers and allow consumers to make informed choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CORRECT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC is a glitchy, unreliable product that crashes constantly and malfunctions on a regular basis. Does anyone know any other products we can move to since CC is the only thing that is available now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This cloud solution is not feasible for countries, where internet is costly. Also, I like my privacy and I like to have my photo on my hard drive. With recent events happening across the world, I do not think my data is safe on Internet. I am going to find an alternate solution. True I will miss quality but I value my data more than cloud. Thank you adobe for your earlier products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstand: you don't have to store your photos in the cloud, you have to download the application, and it can be updated using the internet. But everything can remain safely on your system after installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Creative Cloud desktop applications are installed directly on your computer, so you won’t need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

An internet connection is required the first time you install and license your desktop apps, but you can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license.

The desktop apps will attempt to validate your software licenses every 30 days, but for annual members, you can use the apps for up to 99 days in offline mode.

Month-to-month members can use the software for up to 30 days in offline mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember when Quark was the standard and Quark clearly behaved as if nobody could survive without them? Yeah. Good times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a customer of Adobe cloud for 2 months now. I want to adjust my original position on the subject. At first I was against the subscription payment method, and I'm still against it. However, this does allow for people that don't have the 500 or 700 or whatever it costs to purchase the software outright. However I believe the subscription is too high. Microsoft Office cloud version allows you access to the entire suite for 10 a month but adobe charges you over 50 a month for their entire catalog...

The software although once paid for, is great. The updates are automaticlly pushed through the Adobe cloud. There's another cloud storage option for you that if anything, helps you organize your art assets. Although photoshop cc seems to have an issue with selections on my gtx 970 video card... whenever I select the outer parameters of the graphic I'm working on, a white band expands the image erroneously past its fixed bounds which does negatively affect development.

Other than that the touch gestures for tablet dev are great and I'm happy. Just wish it was cheaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, with the subscription model you don't "work in the cloud or online", you download the application on to your computer in the normal way and use it as with previous versions, it's just that Adobe checks periodically (I think once a month) that you've paid your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop since the first version back in the late 80's. I am a semi-professional user at home (two side business) and a professional user at my 9-5 job. At my day job we have upgraded to the cloud. For a product that is supposed to be loaded on my computer it is "slow as balls". At home I use CS6. Love it. I will use this version until it stops working. I will not upgrade Windows if that will extend my use. Being a corporate photographer & web designer at home, nights & weekends, CS6 is great. At the price of CS6 I don't upgrade every version. Usually every third version. Sadly that stops now. I have always felt Adobe products were way overpriced.

Now a shout-out to Adobe competitors,

Here is a Giant Gaping Opportunity to pick up a new customer base. Retool your product to open PSD's, survey dissatisfied cloud users for the to 10 features they would need and hit the market at $199. I would invest. Hello Corel, are you listening? What a golden opportunity. Corel really stepped up with their Video Studio Pro, Now how about a Photoshop CC killer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Derek Cross: when I buy a car, Volkswagen don't "check in on me to see if I've changed the oil".

@ paulofchester: congrats man, I'm thinking the exact same. Go Corel! There's nothing Adobe does with AI / ID / PS that you guys can't do!

We will get back from this whole "cloud" mess sooner than people think. Is it necessary to mention that massive arrays of hard drives running 24/7 to host centuries worth of nyancat videos is not a sustainable model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this world everything will get hacked, it's only a matter of time. Just ask Hillary :-).

I am not a fan of the cloud. Back in the day it was referred to as a server farm not the cloud. Same thing. I know that many companies have converted to PhotoShop CC out of "Adobe Habit". When it comes to IT managers there is an old saying, "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM". It was pricey but safe. I think IT managers are that way with Adobe as well. I hope that starts to change. Especially if they start hiring creative people who use a different product. 

In my career I was responsible for converting two fortune 200 companies to the Adobe product line. I don’t think I am as enthusiastic any longer. In one of those cases it was a long hard sell. I don’t have that passion for the subscription version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud is a little bit misleading. The software is a subscription model, where you can store some but not all data in the cloud. And you decide...

My Photoshop files stay on my disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Feierwoon,

I get that. I know the difference. But still; slapping the word "cloud" in there is no coincidence. If they could have you run the apps virtually from their servers they would.

I know I'm kind of beyond topic and ranting, but it's the big data hogging trend that drives me nuts. Why can't I buy software from a shop with cash money? Why do Adobe start proposing I gave them my mobile phone number? Just sell me your stuff and leave me alone. I'll pay, you don't need to know who I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

Yes, the world has changed, and it's now hard to be anonymous. There are cameras in buildings and on city streets, there are GPS trackers, and you can no longer buy software and then share it with 200 co-workers. Software no longer updates every five years as it used to—people would scream if it remained stagnant for that long. We don't walk into record stores and leaf through album covers; we expect to make a purchase and listen instantly. And Adobe rolls out the updates in a much more timely manner. I imagine that means more pressure for them to produce because if they don't, people will drop the subscriptions and look elsewhere. It's a different world anywhere you look, not only at Adobe and we don't have time machines. I don't think I'd want one anyway, personally.

Adobe does not have my cell phone number either, by the way. I give that out as little as possible. And my files also stay on my hard drive.

I'm sorry we can't change the direction of Adobe in the way in which you would like it to go, but we can help with your Photoshop questions, if you have any. We are most volunteers and try to help users as much as we can.

Best to you,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jane,

thanks for helping out others. I'm a frequent user of forums of all kinds and I really appreciate people taking the time to help those who are at a loss. Now don't worry, I will stop wasting your time after this. Two things, though:

1. please don't patronize me,
  2. funnily enough, I do walk into my favorite record store and leaf through album covers; actually I love it. The prints are large, often give plenty of things to read about the band and look really good on the shelf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2016 Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcelloid,

1. Not my intent, and I apologize profusely (thanks for letting me know what it looked like from your side).

2. Confession: I still have every LP I every bought, even though I transitioned to cassettes, then CDs, then MP3s. I didn't know they actually still have record stores! I used to spend hours in them—and am every now and then wistful for the past.

Best to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a cloud part with the software.
That's why they called it "Cloud".

I love the subscription model as it helps my company to save some money. But I'm sure that some creatives out there are still satisfied with Photoshop 7 (not CS) and Illustrator 9... That wont be possible any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines