• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to script a Pause, allowing brushing etc

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a workflow script and actions to retouch large numbers of files and it would be fabulous if I could do some layer mask brushing on each image "mid batch". Is it possible to create a Pause Script (60-120 seconds would be ideal) that can be called from an action or inserted into my pressing script?

Can anyone tell me a) if this possible b) which Javascript commands I should try ?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Works well on CS6.

Worse on CC2018 due to the use of refresh()

You can draw, adjust adjustments layers and even invoke other scripts.

var cs6 = (parseInt(app.version)==13)

var time = 60;

var old_time;

var msg = new Window("palette", "Draw or do something while script is waiting");

msg.preferredSize.width = 200;

msg.txt = msg.add("statictext", undefined, "");

msg.txt.preferredSize.width = 220;

msg.txt.justify = "center";

msg.btn = msg.add("button", undefined, "Continue");

msg.btn.onClick = function() { msg.h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi OrchidPhoto,

yes, you can say: "script wait any time" e.g. like this:

alert("wait a second");

$.sleep( 999 ); /*Milliseconds*/

alert ("done");

But in this time IMHO the script is always activ and you cannot work in PS meantime, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OrchidPhoto wrote:

I use a workflow script and actions to retouch large numbers of files and it would be fabulous if I could do some layer mask brushing on each image "mid batch". Is it possible to create a Pause Script (60-120 seconds would be ideal) that can be called from an action or inserted into my pressing script?

"that can be called from an action"   I do not understand if your using an action to begin with you can pause an action with a stop message like "Piant on the layer mask to make it better. When done click on "PLAY" in the Actions Palette  to continue the action.

However you also write batch.   Having interaction in a batch process sort of negate it being a batch process.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey JJMack can you provide an example..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It more important to understand that it is not possible to pause an action or a script.  That you can program both to simulate a pause.   What is good about that is everything is programmed into a single file.  There is only one file to maintain.  However the file when used must be used twice to get its full function.  If  you look at the action palette and expand an action part way so you can see all the steps but not the setting used in the steps.  You can highlight the action and click the play button and the action will run.  You could also have highlighted one of the action step and clicked the play button and the action would have starter from the highlighted step.   So you could say a action contains many actions.   Inserting a STOP in an action  in effect breaks and action into at least two every stop you add basically adds an additional action.  So if you add a single stop into an action it brakes the action into the first part and a second part.  So when you highlighted the action it will play the first part and stop when it encounter the stop and the step after the stop is  highlighted. when you click the play button a second time the second part plays plays and the action complete it job. The Stop is not a pause its a place holder.  You do not have to play the second part.  You can do the same in a script you can program  Part One and program Part Two what you need do is program the place holder.  It could be a crude as a prompt which part do you want to execute One or Two or the place holder could be set by part one so that when and it the script is run the second time part two would execute.

You might call the Actions and Scripts "Run or Play Twice" programs....

Here is and example of one of my run twice scripts I created to be used within actions.

SaveAndRestoreResolution.jsx

/* ======================================================================================

// 2009  John J. McAssey (JJMack)  http://www.mouseprints.net/

//

// This script is supplied as is. It is provided as freeware.

// The author accepts no liability for any problems arising from its use.

//

// This script is designed to be used by a Photoshop Action twice

// A good pratice to use when creating an actions that use this scipt is for the action

// not to do a save or play some other action between its two useages of this Script.

//

// The first time this script is used by an action the documents current resolution

// and ruler units are saved into the document's meta-data Info Instructions field.

//

// The second time this script used by the action the script retreives what was

// saved in the meta-data during the first usage, resolution and ruler units.

// The document is resized to the saved resolution,

// Photoshop's ruler units are set to saved units

// and the saved data is removed from the document's meta-data Info Instructions field.

//

// ===================================================================================== */

/*

<javascriptresource>

<about>$$$/JavaScripts/SaveAndRestoreResolution/About=JJMack's SaveAndRestoreResolution.^r^rCopyright 2009 Mouseprints.^r^rRun twice script utility for action.^rNOTE:Don't play other actions between runs!^r^rFirst Run records Photoshop's preferences Units and documents DPI resolution.^rSecond Run restores the recorded setting and removes the recording.</about>

<category>JJMack's Action Run Twice Utility</category>

</javascriptresource>

*/

if (app.documents.length > 0) {

if (app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Resolution>") == -1 ){ // no footprint fisrt useage

//alert("first");

// Retreive Document information for Foot Print

var units = app.preferences.rulerUnits;

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; // set ruler units to PIXELS

var typeunits = app.preferences.typeUnits;

var res = app.activeDocument.resolution;

// put footprint in metadata info instructions

app.activeDocument.info.instructions = app.activeDocument.info.instructions + "<Units>" + units + "</Units>"  + "<Tunits>" + typeunits + "</Tunits>" + "<Resolution>" + res + "</Resolution>";

//alert( "Saved ="  + "<Units>" + units + "</Units>" + "<Tunits>" + typeunits + "</Tunits>" + "<Resolution>" + res + "</Resolution>" );

app.preferences.rulerUnits = units; // restore ruler units

}

else {

//alert("second");

// Retreive saved information

unitsOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Units>") + "<Units>".length;

unitsLength = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Units>") -unitsOffset;

savedUnits = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(unitsOffset, unitsLength);

tunitsOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Tunits>") + "<Tunits>".length;

tunitsLength = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Tunits>") -tunitsOffset;

savedTunits = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(tunitsOffset, tunitsLength);

resOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Resolution>") + "<Resolution>".length;

resLength = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Resolution>") + -resOffset;

savedResolution = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(resOffset, resLength);

//alert("Resolution = " + savedResolution + " Units = " + savedUnits );

// Restore resolution

app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

activeDocument.resizeImage(null, null, savedResolution, ResampleMethod.NONE);

// Restore ruler units

// I get a message Enumerated value expected if I try to use var savedUnits app.preferences.rulerUnits = savedUnits;

// perhaps if I knew Javascript I would not need to use the following if else if .....

if ( savedUnits == "Units.INCHES" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.INCHES;}

else if ( savedUnits == "Units.CM" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.CM;}

else if ( savedUnits == "Units.PERCENT" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PERCENT;}

else if ( savedUnits == "Units.MM" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.MM;}

else if ( savedUnits == "Units.PIXELS" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;}

else if ( savedUnits == "Units.POINTS" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.POINTS;}

else if ( savedUnits == "Units.PICAS" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PICAS;}

// Restore Type units

if ( savedTunits == "TypeUnits.PIXELS" ){ app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.PIXELS;}

else if ( savedTunits == "TypeUnits.POINTS" ){ app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.POINTS;}

else if ( savedTunits == "TypeUnits.MM" ){ app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.MM;}

// Remove footprint from metadata info instructions

before = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(0,app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Units>"));

afterOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Resolution>") + "</Resolution>".length;

after = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(afterOffset, app.activeDocument.info.instructions.length - afterOffset);

//alert ("before = " + before + " after = " + after);

app.activeDocument.info.instructions = before + after;

}

}

else { alert("You must have at least one open document to run this script!"); }

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gabarito  wrote

ScriptUI is part of Photoshop Scripting support documented  here

Photoshop CC Scripting Guide 2015.pdf

Adobe added a bug into Scripting Support that breake my scripts like  SaveAndRestoreResolution.   My scripts insert and remove their information  in the document metadatd field info.Instructions they all preserver any other data in that field.  In CC 2015.5 adobe broke my scripts. My scripts can not longer remove their data if there is no other data in the instruction field but their data.   To get around Adobe bug I set up Onen Document and new docyment script event handlers to add garbage to the field if is it not there.  So there will be other data in the field so may script will once again be able to remove their data.

the handler code:

if (app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("Garbage") == -1 ) app.activeDocument.info.instructions = app.activeDocument.info.instructions + "Garbage";
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I'm still unable to understand what ScriptUI is.

PDF only says:

Adobe provide the ScriptUI component, which works with th ExtendedScript Javascript interpreter to provide JavaScript scripts with the ability to create and interact with user interface elements. It provides an object model for windows and user-interface control elements within Adobe applications".

How to get that?

Some example?

And how to pause/stop and resume scripts?

What do you guys use to debug a script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a link to wrong pdf see if the one is OK JavaScript Tools Guide CC.pdf

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Far better PDF.

I have too many lessons to study...

Thanks.

But how do you debug your scripts?

How do you run step-by-step your codes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not like the extendscript UI its UI  jumps around windows to much for me so much so that I find it to distracting for my use. I only use its Object viewer to gets information about Photoshop's object. There are also bugs in extendscript.   I use notepad++ to edit my scripts for the JavaScript syntax formatting.  And I debug with a sledge hammer many JavaScript alerts statement that are later removed or commented out.  I do not even know JavaScript or understand  a regular expression.  I just hack at Photoshop scripting.  I have a programming background and have work with an within many operating systems that are not written  in JavaScript.  The only scripting language I knew well was Rex which looms very much  like PL1 without a need to declare variables. Adobe also replace Script UI in CC 2015 with a new implementation not Flash based  now supports HTML 5.  Most of the bugs introduces have been fixed. Most of my scripts do not have a Script UI dialog.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for explanations.

I have too much material to study.

And I'll put alerts on my code too. Good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing:

Running your script above, I got a little error at this line:

before = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(0,app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexO f("<Units>"));

I found out that indexOf was separated by space:

instructions.indexO f("<Units>"));

Just a small typo error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is something this site's Jive does occasionally it also remove a required  blank(space) in some code statement quote strings fields.

Been a problem here for years.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OrchidPhoto,

You can try running the first half of the script normally, then show a ScriptUI palette where you want to break. The palette should contain a 'Continue' button. Add the rest of the functionality of the script to the callback of this Continue button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop ScriptUI does not actually support Palette Windows in a Photoshop Script run in from Photoshop. The Script though suspended and waiting on the palette being used.  Photoshop UI is not given back control.  So the user can do nothing in Photoshop but use the Palette window.  I have been able to write a Photoshop Script that opens palette window from a Photoshop Extention and use Photoshop with the Palette window open.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works well on CS6.

Worse on CC2018 due to the use of refresh()

You can draw, adjust adjustments layers and even invoke other scripts.

var cs6 = (parseInt(app.version)==13)

var time = 60;

var old_time;

var msg = new Window("palette", "Draw or do something while script is waiting");

msg.preferredSize.width = 200;

msg.txt = msg.add("statictext", undefined, "");

msg.txt.preferredSize.width = 220;

msg.txt.justify = "center";

msg.btn = msg.add("button", undefined, "Continue");

msg.btn.onClick = function() { msg.hide(); }

msg.show();

msg.frameLocation = [50, 100];

$.hiresTimer;

set_performance("stepByStep");

app.displayDialogs = DialogModes.ERROR;

try {

while (msg.visible && time > 0)

{

if (old_time != time.toFixed(0))

{

msg.txt.text = "You have: " + time.toFixed(0) + " sec";

old_time = time.toFixed(0);

}

if (cs6) app.bringToFront();

else     app.refresh(); 

time -= ($.hiresTimer/1000000);

}

}

catch (e) { }           

set_performance("accelerated");

msg.close();

alert("Script End")

function set_performance(mode)

{

try {

var r1 = new ActionReference();

r1.putProperty( charIDToTypeID( "Prpr" ), charIDToTypeID( "PbkO" ) );

r1.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID( "capp" ), charIDToTypeID( "Ordn" ), charIDToTypeID( "Trgt" ) );

var d1 = new ActionDescriptor();

d1.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), r1 );

var d2 = new ActionDescriptor();

d2.putEnumerated( stringIDToTypeID( "performance" ), stringIDToTypeID( "performance" ), stringIDToTypeID( mode ) );

d1.putObject( charIDToTypeID( "T   " ), charIDToTypeID( "PbkO" ), d2 );

executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "setd" ), d1, DialogModes.NO );

}

catch (e) { throw(e); }

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting!!!

It's what I was looking for.

But where do I put my code?

Inside that try statement?

try { 

while (msg.visible && time > 0) 

{ 

if (old_time != time.toFixed(0)) 

{ 

msg.txt.text = "You have: " + time.toFixed(0) + " sec"; 

old_time = time.toFixed(0); 

} 

Here???

if (cs6) app.bringToFront(); 

else     app.refresh();   

Here??? 

time -= ($.hiresTimer/1000000); 

} 

} 

catch (e) { }             

So, where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the first part of your code before all this script. Place the second part instead of the alert ("Script End") command.

It's better to make my entire script as a function and call it in the necessary places in your scripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, of course, make your script as a function and call it according.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, but I'm not a programmer and just now trying to put some code to run.

But I have no idea where I can insert my script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines