• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jpegs saving too large

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. When I try to save a piece of artwork sized at 640px by 480px 72dpi. The file size keeps saving to around 128MB. Even if I drop the dpi down to 50, the file still saves at around 128MB. The file should be way smaller than that.

Has anyone experienced this before? Am I doing something wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Use File > Export > Export As.

Format: JPG

See screenshot.

Reducing Quality reduces file size.   My @1x image is 900 x 900 pixels yet only 112 KB.

PS-export2x.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

But do you know why that was happening in the first place? That doesn't usually happen

The usual suspect is an inordinate amount of photoshop:DocumentAncestors metadata bloating your file. You would need to check your file/s to see if this is actually the case.

Prepression: Metadata Bloat – photoshop:DocumentAncestors

Some links to previous discussions:

Inflated JPG File Size - Photoshop Document:Ancestors Metadata

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/290238   

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1880847   

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2340460

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File > Export > Export As.

Format: JPG

See screenshot.

Reducing Quality reduces file size.   My @1x image is 900 x 900 pixels yet only 112 KB.

PS-export2x.jpg

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that worked. Thanks.

But do you know why that was happening in the first place? That doesn't usually happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use Save As for print projects.  And I always use 100% quality because  I don't care how big the file size is.   However for web projects, I use Export As because it has fairly decent compression and I can visually gage quality vs file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual suspect is an inordinate amount of photoshop:DocumentAncestors metadata bloating your file. You would need to check your file/s to see if this is actually the case.

Prepression: Metadata Bloat – photoshop:DocumentAncestors

Some links to previous discussions:

Inflated JPG File Size - Photoshop Document:Ancestors Metadata

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/290238   

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1880847   

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2340460   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stephen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? This is total BS that we have to go through this, people have deadlines!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you for that simple save!  This never happened to me before  when saving my own files . But when saving a co worker's file  that  I had to download and work on saving his jpeg kept saving as 20 plus megabytes!  For a jpeg! 
  I got it down to 232 KB. Whew!  And the jpeg doesn't go to print - just an on line document . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem 😞

By @Tomek23504221u75u

The same problem? The same correct answer!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Modern Elegance Photo wrote:

Hi. When I try to save a piece of artwork sized at 640px by 480px 72dpi. The file size keeps saving to around 128MB. Even if I drop the dpi down to 50, the file still saves at around 128MB. The file should be way smaller than that.

Has anyone experienced this before? Am I doing something wrong?

Just as a note, because you already got your answer. PPI has nothing to do with image size if you set the output size to pixels. You can drop it down to 1 ppi or put it up to 100,000 ppi, that won't change the file size.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but as many leave Resample checked, it does for them 😄

It's not even just a beginner error, you see it on all levels...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, not understanding PPI is a beginner's error. If an advanced user does not understand PPI, then he is advanced in name only!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an advanced user does not understand PPI, then he is advanced in name only!

By @Abambo

==========

Um.... maybe not.

Q:  When is a pixel not a pixel?

A:  When it is. 😕

A pixel can mean different things to different people. 

First we must define what is a pixel? 

• a device pixel,
  • a CSS pixel or
  • a density-independant pixel (DIP)?

https://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2010/04/a_pixel_is_not.html

In print settings, we use Dots Per Inch (DPI), not pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'In print settings, we use Dots Per Inch (DPI), not pixels.'

But DPI has nothing to do with the image settings in Photoshop, or the image metadata discussed above and used by the print driver to calculate a physical image size. In the print dialogue, print resolution settings, we still use PPI.

DPI are the very small dots which make up the pixels layed down by a digital printer. So a printer might print an image at 300 x 300 ppi but use 2880 x1440 dpi to put those pixels onto paper using coloured inks. Such dpi settings are sometimes selectable from a dropdown in the print quality options of a printer driver.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea 

In print settings, we use Dots Per Inch (DPI), not pixels.

That's different.You can print any image with any ppi density in any dpi density, provided that the printing device supports that dpi. This influences the printed image's quality, however. For that reason, printers usually require slavishly images to be at 300ppi, which makes sense for the embedded image in the final print ready PDF. If I remember well, my printing company issues a warning on the digital proof, if the image's density is less then 240ppi.

In the context of a digital image, the pixel is well defined. 

In the context of an HTML file, probably nothing is well defined, because so many hacks are needed to overcome the limitations of a specific browser on a specific device to give the reader a similar experience, independent from those limitations. 

In the context of a digital photography the PPI value is not really meaningfull. Set whatever value you want, but for avoiding discussions with amateurs, set it to 300.

In the context of a scan, the PPI value has a meaning, as it will decide on the resolution of the scan, and the amount of data that is generated, given that the scanner is physically able to scan at the required resolution. 

In the context of an InDesign file, the linked picture will be represented on screen by a proxy image (depending on your display quality setting) that is stored with the InDesign file. A lower PPI value generates a bigger InDesign file. https://creativepro.com/why-is-my-file-size-so-huge/ So, sometimes the PPI value has an effect. (Disclaimer: the link refers to an older article, I did not check if that is still true for current InDesign files!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who but the site owner would PRINT a website?

Web quality and PRINT quality are two different things.  The former is compressed for low bandwidth to minimize page load speed in web devices.  The latter is uncompressed high-res, high megapixel file size for printed media output (paper, film, canvas, etc...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If an advanced user does not understand PPI, then he is advanced in name only!"

> "Yes and no." That same person may still be able to make you look like a nobody on many levels...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Signfeld wrote:

"If an advanced user does not understand PPI, then he is advanced in name only!"

> "Yes and no." That same person may still be able to make you look like a nobody on many levels...

Even if I was ironic, advanced users need to understand what ppi does: nothing. It changes nothing in the physical properties of a file. However, during my career, I had many requests to provide a picture at 300 dpi, without more indications. Most requests came from "professionals". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, some of these pros "need" this change not for them, but because other pros are demanding it from them and won't learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a magazin editor asks for a picture for his cover to be 300 dpi (sic!), without giving you a size in cm or inches, he is asking this because it "has been always like this". That is why I set my pictures at 240-300 ppi. There is absolutly no other useful reason to this, as my camera produces images at the size it produces them. 8 Mp to 30 Mp and all at 300 ppi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you save the file using "Export as" or "Save for web", you have the option to include, or not, the metadata with significant variation on the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines